+ Reply to Thread

Default Gynecomastia, propecia question.

Greetings everybody, this is my first post on the forum and I'm looking for some advice/insight with my current situation.

I'm 24 years old and started receding in the crown and temples about 3-4 years ago and it's been slowly progressing since. I've been using rogaine for about a year with some good results in the crown area but very little in the temples.

About 2,5 months ago I decided to give Proopecia a go since my temples were starting to thin pretty badly. For the first 3 weeks I had no side effects and couldn't have been happier about that, but then I started noticing some slight "sharp" pain in the nipple/breast area and a few days later started noticing some fat forming/getting stored there and my nipples getting quite "pufffy"

The thing is that from the age of 12-18 I had a mild form of gynecomastia (mainly the nipples, being domeshaped/puffy) and eventually opted to have it surgically removed since I thought it was too noticable and didn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'm worried that the propecia could be causing the gyno to return/grow since I believe the surgeon left some bit of the breast-tissue as they do in most cases.

However I do feel like it is more of a "fat storage" issue this time around, as if a slight rise in estrogen due to the propecia might be causing my body to focus the fat storage on the chest.

I noticed it, stopped the drug for a month and the side effect reversed within about a week. I then decided to try again at half the dosage or 0.5mg (cutting tablets in half) But the second time around the same thing happened but only took a few days to occur this time.

I'm wondering if I should just give it up at this point and accept my situation or remain on propecia and see if the side-effects reverse by staying on the drug long enough? 1-2 months perhaps?

According to clinical studies side effects of propecia regress in about 58% of men who remain on the drug. But they aren't too specific if the gyno part falls under that category, I think it's mainly the guys who have some libido/sexual problems.

Sorry for the length of the post but I like being specific about these things, hoping to get some support/advice on this! Thanks

Gynecomastia will not reverse after stopping propecia use.

Propecia gave me gynecomastia; I still have it. Need goes away, unless you opt for surgery. Your choice.

consult your Doctor. I had the Gyno surgery 14 years ago. I sometimes think it's returning (on Fin for 18 months). Surgeries are not perfect. You can't take to much away with that surgery. Try dropping your bodyfat if you can???

Dropping body fat will make the gland stand out even more.

And no, it doesn't go away on its own. You have to go through surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Dropping body fat will make the gland stand out even more.

And no, it doesn't go away on its own. You have to go through surgery.
    I agree. Re-read his post or maybe I miss read it.

Yeah I agree, in my final year of having gyno I dropped about 40 pounds of fat through an intense workout and diet regiment, and it turns out that only highlighted the issue...That's when I opted for surgery.

But interestingly enough like I stated in my post, The puffiness/bloating of the breast/nipple that came with propecia absolutely reversed within about 1-2 weeks which really suprised me...That's why I decided to try again, the thing is I don't really know if it's just my body adjusting fat storage or if the actual breast tissue is growing....

At the moment I'm still on a 0.25-0.5mg dose per day and am monitoring the situation very closely..

so whats the current status?