+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How my life has changed within a year

So I'm 20 now, and my hair is at the point where you can see the scalp pretty clearly, not massively receding but receding enough for people to continuously comment upon it.

When I was really young I just presumed men who were bald were born that way and never even had hair, and used to laugh and refer to men who were bald as baldy or baldylocks ect, as a child I was completely unaware of the damage the light humour may be causing.

At the age of 17 people first started commenting on my hairline starting to recede, this began the constant checking of my hairline every time I passed a mirror. Looking back on this, it was silly and I cannot believe people actually made a joke of a slight recede in my hairline, looking back on pictures I have a full head of hair.

At the age of 18 my hairline went back a bit further, however my hair was still really quite thick on top, and thinning on the scalp was never an issue to me.
    At 19 my hair was a tiny bit thinner and I began to notice the top of my head a little bit but It was still an okay head of hair.
    Then WHAM a year later, I don't even know how its just gone so quickly, my scalp is massively visible and my hairline is noticeably bad.

When I was 17-19 and as I look back on photos I consider myself a very attractive lad as big headed as that may be. I had no trouble with girls, in fact I was very successful and confident despite people reminding me I was going bald (even though the situation was not that bad). I simply cannot believe the contrast on then to now. I look at myself and I am nowhere near as good looking as I was, nothing has changed apart from my hair, I genuinely believe my thinning hair has made me look genuinely quite ugly. I look at the majority of males that females find attractive, they all have one thing in common, massively thick hair and a great hairline, which makes me question if these people had thin hair, would females still find them attractive? I think not. I now struggle with girls and struggle with the confidence of approaching girls. I feel like part of my personality has been stripped unfairly away.

There are many things I struggle with on a daily basis, from waking up I have to have a shower to wash the hair, apply regain and then style my hair (hopelessly) to make it look as good as possible. Then obviously stepping outside for the wind to easily blow it around to look awful and the rain to completely expose my scalp so I look hideous.

I don't quite understand how people find making fun of bald people acceptable. If they were losing their hair, would they find it funny? Absolutely not. For some reason its socially unacceptable and outrageous to call someone who is fat (which they can prevent) yet its funny and okay to call someone who is struggling with a constant losing mental battle of hair loss which they simply have no control over. Sure there are things that can delay hair loss but eventually its only ending one way, complete baldness.

I also don't understand the comments such as, why don't you just shave it all off, why are you clinging on. ERMMMM well lets put you in my situation and see how happily you just remove all your hair!

I hate how inferior it makes me feel, when people comment and laugh, like you genuinely are lower than them, ''haha look at your hair now mate, you can see your scalp, wow! Youre proper bald now!'' I am a very proud and ambitious person and having comments flying at me like that are infuriating. Going bald isn't a comment you have to deal with once a day, its all day everyday, each new person you haven't seen in a while commenting and laughing, people constantly finding ways to refer back to your hair. When in arguments being referred to as an old man.

I once shaved my hair off when I was 18 and I got ridiculed for my head shape and how terrible I look bald. Girls were saying grow your hair back you were attractive with hair I don't like you without it, which obviously gives me great hope now that I have no choice in not having hair.

When I was younger I never imagined I would ever be bald, never mind so young, I feel like I am missing out on my youth, and lets get real I am.
    People are always going to post saying, don't worry, girls like bald guys too, youre not alone ect ect. Lets be honest the majority of girls DO prefer hair and at this age I AM in the minority so it is a horrible feeling.

I am however a person who attacks problems and I believe I will achieve huge things no matter what is thrown in front of me. I consider this a last rant before I let it bother me ever again. There are two options I can do, get down and feel sorry for myself all my life about the fact I lost my hair early or dismiss the issue and crack on. When people insult my baldness it lights a fire of determination to become successful, make huge amounts of money, get a 10/10 wife and go back to then in 20 years, when they are also bald and lacking in the areas of their lives where I am excelling.

It's tough being a young man who is losing his hair and dealing with the feeling like you are the only person in your group of friends dealing with such a problem. Especially since it's at an age where you are supposed to be developing confidence. I remember being that age and being a bit envious seeing all my friends styling their hair before a night out. However as you get older and more people in your peer group start losing their hair as well and suddenly you don't feel as alone. For some people it bothers them greatly and some people really don't care. But it does indeed become more "socially acceptable" the older you get.

There will always be some girls who simply don't find bald men attractive but most girls won't be bothered by it if you aren't. In other words, confidence is the most attractive trait you can have. I see living proof of this all the time as many of my attractive female friends from high school and college are dating and marrying guys who are balding. Girls I used to think any guy with hair loss would have no chance with. I know it's tough to believe but it's true.

If it bothers you get on the Big 3 (fin, rogaine, and nizoral) and see what happens. Between meds, hair transplants, concealers, temporary scalp smp, and treatments that may or may not work like lasers and prp you do have options to fight this battle.

And whether you have hair or not, you should always be taking care of yourself (working out, eating right, having fun etc) and working hard in your career.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s not easy losing your hair at a young age, but your good attitude is what is going to get you through this. You sound like a strong young man and I’m positive that you will get past this and succeed in life, both socially and professionally. Don’t let others bring you down, you already have the attitude of a winner, which is rare to see on these boards.

Welcome to the club.

I understand your feelings. Balding since 16 here.

Did you try fin?

I feel your pain brah aggressive loss at young age is a game changer.

As mentioned before, if it bothers you that much why not give treatments a try? If they don't work or you get sides, then throw them in the trash and move on with your life. As a fairly new hair loss sufferer you could benefit greatly from treatments. I get what you are saying that we will all eventually go bald, but if you can slow that process down for 10 years or so, why not try?

If you start effective treatments early you'll have a good chance of keeping your hair for the rest of your life. But the earlier you catch it the better.

Personally I had to wait almost two years before I started treating my hair loss. I was so young that no doctor would prescribe me finansteride and they all thought my hair line was maturing.

I think you should get on finansteride, use minoxidil two times a day and buy some nizoral shampoo and use it 2 times a week. That's what I'm doing and that's the most solid ground you can have as a hair loss sufferer.

If shit gets worse you can jump on dutasteride and add RU58841 to your regiment. And there's shit like oral minoxidil(loniten), SABA gel, OC, tranny meds etc. which have proven to be very strong(but even more risky).

The fact is you CAN do something about it. You can basically stop your hair loss completely, but you'll have to take a risk regarding side effects.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hdude46 View Post
    It's tough being a young man who is losing his hair and dealing with the feeling like you are the only person in your group of friends dealing with such a problem.
    Trust me, people who don't have hair loss issues have other problems. It seems everyone has one issue or another in their life that steals peace of mind/joy of living if they can't keep their focus off of it. Often those who appear perfect on the surface become obsessed with life's trivial details. Other's have family issues. I remember a while back I was unemployed and met the son of a wealthy gas station/convenience chain store owner. His life seemed perfect to me. No money worries, young, married with a home that was pair for. I later learned that his young son was born with brain damage and requires constant care and supervision. Others have a dying family member, legal issues or any number of problems. Often people with those hidden problems will make it a point to comment on a young guy who is losing hair because it makes them feel better about their misery in a sick sort of way.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 06:35 PM.

The thing is, most of the time, we'll have our balding problems AND the other issues everyone has. This "everyone has problems" argument does not make anyone feel better. The truth is that people have it good (maybe not perfect, but an overall good life) and will have it good until death.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Trust me, people who don't have hair loss issues have other problems. It seems everyone has one issue or another in their life that steals peace of mind/joy of living if they can't keep their focus off of it. Often those who appear perfect on the surface become obsessed with life's trivial details. Other's have family issues. I remember a while back I was unemployed and met the son of a wealthy gas station/convenience chain store owner. His life seemed perfect to me. No money worries, young, married with a home that was pair for. I later learned that his young son was born with brain damage and requires constant care and supervision. Others have a dying family member, legal issues or any number of problems. Often people with those hidden problems will make it a point to comment on a young guy who is losing hair because it makes them feel better about their misery in a sick sort of way.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    True, they say misery loves company.