Has propecia lost effectiveness - second shed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 22able
    • Feb 2013

Has propecia lost effectiveness - second shed?

My hair looked better up until a recent haircut (see thread below):

Here I am approx 1.5 years ago with rogaine only (pic on the left is 3 months after starting rogaine and the right pic is about 6 months after). No Propecia. I started Propecia at the very end of last May, so have been on it approx 10 months. However, I didn't start the full tablet until October. Have been using

It was cut too short. However, i've noticed now that when I comb my hair (with some styling product in) i'm getting hairs coming out all the time - maybe 7-8 with each comb stroke sticking onto the comb. Wondering if i'm going through a second shed? I've been on the full tablet for 9 months now. Or would propecia maybe be losing its effectiveness? I have to use product each day because my hair is really fine so it helps thicken it up. If I wasn't using it i'd probably have better/more visible regrowth because i'd have less of these styling sheds. I'm also using rogaine.

Any thoughts?
  • notresponding88
    • Jun 2011

Are the hairs you're shedding normal looking or thin looking? I remember shedding a couple times and that when i was just using finasteride and not rogaine.

Comment

• 22able
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by notresponding88
      Are the hairs you're shedding normal looking or thin looking? I remember shedding a couple times and that when i was just using finasteride and not rogaine.
      I mean I have extensive miniaturisation on top so they are "thin" but more or less normal sized hairs. They are of a reasonable length i.e couple of inches.

Comment

• notresponding88
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 22able
        I mean I have extensive miniaturisation on top so they are "thin" but more or less normal sized hairs. They are of a reasonable length i.e couple of inches.
        I think those hairs need to shed then so they'll grow back thicker. How much rogaine are you using?

Comment

• 22able
          • Feb 2013

I think those hairs need to shed then so they'll grow back thicker. How much rogaine are you using?
          Slightly more than half a cap because I'm covering most of my scalp and my front. Is the second shed a common thing?

Also, I'm not sure if propecia is supposed to affect this bit I find that my miniaturised hairs are still fairly easy to pull out. I assumed propecia might strengthen them but often a slight tug results in a hair being drawn. Is this a sign that the medication might not be working or will those hairs just always be naturally weaker?

Comment

• notresponding88
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 22able
            Slightly more than half a cap because I'm covering most of my scalp and my front. Is the second shed a common thing?

Also, I'm not sure if propecia is supposed to affect this bit I find that my miniaturised hairs are still fairly easy to pull out. I assumed propecia might strengthen them but often a slight tug results in a hair being drawn. Is this a sign that the medication might not be working or will those hairs just always be naturally weaker?
            I say use more rogaine. I don't use the cap I just apply it directly. When I was in propecia I think I had more than one shed because I felt at times it would slow down then pick up again.

Comment

• AfterHair
              Doctor Representative
              • May 2014

This makes sense. I've heard this before. Anyone agree?
              AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
              HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
              Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
              Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012
              sigpic

Comment

• redy
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by AfterHair
                This makes sense. I've heard this before. Anyone agree?
                It's true, but you never know what will be the end result of a shed.

You just hope, haha..

I went through a period where my hair got better by around the 4-5th month, and then I shed like crazy from 5-7th, and 8-10th have been little shedding some days, more others, none some, etc. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

I went through a shed early, around month 2, and had one during month 7/8. Both times when my hair regrew things looked a little better. Just part of the regrowth process I guess.

Comment

Working...