+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil and long term use...

Hello,
    Just a quick story of my experience with the stuff and anyone that's interested. I've skulked around these forums for years but not contributed.

Usual story. I started losing my hair when I was around 21. More and more of it on my pillow and on the brush etc. I was pretty freaked by it at the time. Given that my dad, and grandad on both sides of my family are bald I should have been prepared. You don't think of these things in your 20's...

I sought out help in my local town in Manchester, England. I got given minoxidil by a clinic. I think it was about £100 for 2% of 60ml. This was a while ago now and the memory is hazy. It was expensive at the time!

Long story short, I'm 37 now and I have pretty much used it everyday since (still do). I remember it seemed to stop my excess hair loss within a month or two. My hair has thinned out diffusely quite a bit over the last 2-3 years (considerably so over the past 6 months). Plus my hair line has receded gradually over the last, say, 6-7 years. I am quite visibly balding now. Although I do still have hair on the top of my head I have the tell tale 'halo' going all the way round.

I did have a point to typing this...

For anyone thinking of starting to use this stuff. Start now! There aren't any guarantees but if it holds it off for a few years then why not?

You must, must, must use it twice a day. Everyday. MUST. You don't have any excuses. None at all.

How long does it take you to brush your teeth, comb your hair, put your contact lenses in, use your facial products (come on, you know you do), use the toilet, straighten your clothes, make a cup of coffee/tea, moan about your local football/soccer team you support....

Putting 1ml of fluid on your head twice a day barely factors in to all the crap we all do most mornings.

DO NOT bother with branded stuff, foams etc. Just buy the generic liquid. It's very cheap and easily available.

I have had some issues with it over that time. When I first started using it it gave me quite a bad headache. This only lasted a few days though and disappeared within a week.

I have had occasional palpitations/dizziness whilst using it. This has only generally occurred when my hair has been damp/wet. I thought I was being clever because I had read it somewhere that it is more effective when your hair is damp/wet. Don't bother...

You may or may not believe me but I have barely missed a day in all the years I have been using it. Apart from maybe 3 weeks a few years ago when I ran out and couldn't afford any.

I only started buzzing my hair (number 1) about 6-7 months ago. I have given in to the fact that it's disappearing. Thankfully I don't look too bad with it. I did get a fair amount of name calling at work the first time I shaved it but I do dish it out a lot too so you've just got to suck it up I guess...

Sorry for this waffle/lecture but I just wanted to pass on my experience. I'm sure others have different experiences but my main advice for anyone losing their hair is, buy some today, start using it and don't stop.

Let's just keep hoping for some 'miracle' cure of some kind. I'll be in the queue with you when the shop opens..

Well doesn't the generic version (kirkland) cost about the same as regaine?
    If I remember correct both cost around 21 pounds for a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoD View Post
    Well doesn't the generic version (kirkland) cost about the same as regaine?
    If I remember correct both cost around 21 pounds for a bottle.
    kirkland costs about 4 pounds on ebay

I'm not going to advertise where I get it. I pay nearly £19 with delivery for three bottles. Regaine is still about £30 a bottle in the local Tesco/Asda store.

None of the available hair loss treatments options are great. As far as minoxidil goes, it may not be the greatest treatment but it is definitely underrated.