+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Minoxidil slow down loss?

So I've been using Minoxidil every other night since I was 16 but recently have been using it every morning and night, I am now 20. My reason for using it was to prevent hair loss because I noticed my hairline was receded at age 16. It has only receded just a tiny bit more since then but nothing major. I have never really noticed extra shedding or thickening from using minox, not sure if this is due to the lack of consistency in my routine?

Anyways does minoxidil slow down loss? Or is it just used for regrowth? Because I just realized that I may be able to drop it if it isn't something that slow's down loss.

Yes it does but you want to catch it early. These hairloss drugs are good to stop the hair loss or slow it down, but not that good to regrow hair. So if you're a NW3+ using this stuff, don't expect to have a full thick head of hair again. It rarely happens, some are better responders than others.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yes it does but you want to catch it early. These hairloss drugs are good to stop the hair loss or slow it down, but not that good to regrow hair. So if you're a NW3+ using this stuff, don't expect to have a full thick head of hair again. It rarely happens, some are better responders than others.
    hmm I guess i'll continue to use it. I've been a nw1-nw2 since I was 15... Will continue to use in conjunction with nizarol, azelaic acid, and topical spiro. How exactly does it slow down loss though? I thought how minoxidil worked was specifically for regrowth. ( how does the properties of minox slow down loss?)

Quote Originally Posted by finalflare View Post
    hmm I guess i'll continue to use it. I've been a nw1-nw2 since I was 15... Will continue to use in conjunction with nizarol, azelaic acid, and topical spiro. How exactly does it slow down loss though? I thought how minoxidil worked was specifically for regrowth. ( how does the properties of minox slow down loss?)
    I'm 16 and in the same boat as you were. NW 1.5 almost 2 with thinning of course. How is your hair now? And i'm almost sure Rogaine will only stimulate your hair and maintain it as long as you use it (though it will eventually stop working I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Kikipiko View Post
    I'm 16 and in the same boat as you were. NW 1.5 almost 2 with thinning of course. How is your hair now? And i'm almost sure Rogaine will only stimulate your hair and maintain it as long as you use it (though it will eventually stop working I believe).
    My hair has receded just a bit more but only slightly, so I can't tell if it's just a mature hairline(I reall hope so) Never really noticed thinning, I do have some weak hairs on the very edge of the hairline which prompted me to start using minox. I mean if rogaine doesn't actually slow down hair loss I'm going to drop it cause of possible sides(wrinkles, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by finalflare View Post
    I'm not sure. It may thicken your existing hair and regrow little tiny hairs that never really turn into full thick hairs(In my case and a lot of other members say the same thing). It is the most annoying part of hair loss recovery. You think it's about to work, then you just stay with those little vellus hairs forever. The vellus hairs shrink again/fall off if you stop using the meds that regrew them.

Doctor Representative

I've heard somewhere that Minoxidil is like a band-aid and generally works well for about 7-10 years... but since the follicles are still being attacked by DHT the follicles will eventually die anyway (hence the 7-10 term for Minox's effectiveness). If you team it up with Finasteride, then you are attacking hair loss at the root (no pun intended).
    (Oh yes, these words were ingrained in me in my early 20s when I used to listen to Spencer Kobren's radio show religiously)
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012