+ Reply to Thread

playsound Looking for advice on hair loss, 30 yr old male

I'm a 30 year old male and I've been steadily going bald on top since my early 20's. My father and 3 older brothers all have full heads of hair and I think my grandfather kept his hair too.

I have what can be desribed as a birdsnest shaped bald patch in the middle of my head, getting bigger all the time. The hair on the back and sides of my head is still quite thick, and well i'm not sure about the front (see pics).

It has never really bothered me before but it is becoming more and more noticable and is becoming an embarressment. At this point i'm either going to shave it all off and keep it tight (when ironically it is less noticable), or I'm going to try a couple of treatments.

I've heard of propecia for preventing further loss, and Provillus for restoring hair. I'd really appreciate some experienced advice on 1: The extent of my baldness (when i see it in mirrors it actually looks a lot worse than these photos), 2: The treatments available and recommended steps.

Many thanks in advance

It looks like you may have male pattern baldness. From your photos, your hair loss appears to be at level 3v on the norwood scale.

The best advice I can give you is to start propecia as soon as possible. At the very least, it should stop your hair loss getting worse. If you are lucky you will grow some of your hair back.

You can hide hair loss of your level through the use of concealers. One concealer you may wish to use is dermMatch. You should also ensure that you always keep your hair dry, as this adds to the appearance of fullness.

Hope it works out.

playsound Contact a Doctor-There is Hope | Audio Respose

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I'm a 30 year old male and I've been steadily going bald on top since my early 20's. My father and 3 older brothers all have full heads of hair and I think my grandfather kept his hair too.

I have what can be desribed as a birdsnest shaped bald patch in the middle of my head, getting bigger all the time. The hair on the back and sides of my head is still quite thick, and well i'm not sure about the front (see pics).

It has never really bothered me before but it is becoming more and more noticable and is becoming an embarressment. At this point i'm either going to shave it all off and keep it tight (when ironically it is less noticable), or I'm going to try a couple of treatments.

I've heard of propecia for preventing further loss, and Provillus for restoring hair. I'd really appreciate some experienced advice on 1: The extent of my baldness (when i see it in mirrors it actually looks a lot worse than these photos), 2: The treatments available and recommended steps.

Many thanks in advance
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

You should get yourself on Propecia as soon as possible. You still have decent hair on top.

Wired,

Good advice given here as usual - if committing to the drug (finesteride) look into Proscar 5mg as this is exactly the same drug and is much mush cheaper than Propecia (1mg) .

Maintaining what your already have is vital prior to committing to HT's. Many respond to meds well and can actually enable many to avoid surgery to to being good responders.

Spencer makes a valid point - there are many scam products out there which are geared towards the vulnerable hairloss sufferers - promising them the world.

Propecia/Proscar is about the best weapon us hair loss sufferers can throw at DHT. Its wise to consider it if you want to help maintain what you have got and fight DHT.

All the very best.
    Spex

My first post as a forum member!

I have similar coverage on top of my head after multiple HT procedures. I had mine done back in the early ninties and I'm sure the way they do them now is not like how it was then (unfortunately for me). I really don't think I have enough donor hair left for a much needed new procedure so I rely on concealers.

Wired, you look like a Dermatch kind of guy. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at what it can do for a guy with your hair situation.

You still have good coverage. Get the light brown Dermatch (blonde tends to be too blonde....I have a similar shade as yours although I might be a bit lighter than you). The shade you chose is Very important. Like I said, light brown is probably the way for you to go.

I also use a spray concealer (never thought I would do that) but I have to say I am liking the ProThik spray. I use the light brown for that as well and it is every bit as good (possibly better) than Dermatch. The only negetive is, it's like 14 bucks a can and you get about 8-10 applications from it so it has to be used judiciously. Other than that, it's an Excellent cover up.

So I would recommend Dermatch for regular everyday kind of use and go for the ProThik for when you have important occasions that you really want to have nice coverage and confidence.

Best wishes and goodluck!