+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default Any Oilfield Wearers?

    Hi everyone. I am a 24 year old Petroleum Engineer currently working as a night foreman on a drilling rig who is considering a hairpiece. Are there any wearers on this site that happen to work in the oilfield? How is it working out for you? Specifically, how does the attachment stand up to extreme hot/cold temperatures and sweat, how easy is it to clean out drilling fluid or cuttings from the shale shakers if they were to get in your hair, and have you had any problems with hard hat usage over the hairpiece? Also, I currently work a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule, and my understanding is that wearers typically reattach every 2 weeks. Is it a problem if I go slightly longer than 2 weeks for reattachment so that I can limit this to my days off? My job is not quite as strenuous as most jobs on the rig, but these are all things I will have to deal with and I would be interested in knowing if this is a viable option for me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    your hair was looking good in recent pics what happened brah?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    How recent are you referring to? The pic I posted when I was 21? I posted a different thread a few months ago with more recent pics that adequately show my current situation. Basically I started taking Fin every other day in order to preform better with my ex girlfriend who dumped me in October. Every other day Fin eliminated all side effects but brought on a massive shed from which I did not recover. I am now taking Fin every day again but my hair doesn't look as good as a system would and my dick doesn't work quite as well as it did without Fin. My sides from Fin are not major, they are minor, but they could be eliminated if I switched to a hair piece. I have gotten several girls numbers since October but have not been able to successfully get any in bed. I did manage to take one hook up as far as I could with other people sharing the same room to sleep in at the time, but then I went to work for 2 weeks and its really difficult to keep a girl's interest for 2 whole weeks while you're at work. If you keep texting them they think your a creep and if you don't they lose interest in you and don't text back when you're back from work. Perhaps I would have better luck if I wore a system?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    More information from you required........
    What do you and your fellow workers currently use to clean your biological hair? Most likely a hp wearer would use the same. Depending on the composition of the cleansing agent(s) used would determine whether the same agent(s) are applicable to use on a hp.
    Attachment issues.......your assumption that wearers "typically" reattach every two weeks is false. Typical does not exist. Some reattach everyday. Some go 8 weeks. And every other wearer falls somewhere in between. You will not know where you are in the mix until you settle into a particular attachment regimen that works for you. Everyone is different.
    Any headwear placed over a hp will result in a "matted" look. Heat and humidity accentuate the matting. Not necessarily a problem however. After a cleaning, the hair should return to a natural appearance. I suspect your biological hair appears matted after you remove the hardhat.
    The cleaning issue seems to me is the most important issue to resolve before proceeding.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvlace View Post
    More information from you required........
    What do you and your fellow workers currently use to clean your biological hair? Most likely a hp wearer would use the same. Depending on the composition of the cleansing agent(s) used would determine whether the same agent(s) are applicable to use on a hp.
    Attachment issues.......your assumption that wearers "typically" reattach every two weeks is false. Typical does not exist. Some reattach everyday. Some go 8 weeks. And every other wearer falls somewhere in between. You will not know where you are in the mix until you settle into a particular attachment regimen that works for you. Everyone is different.
    Any headwear placed over a hp will result in a "matted" look. Heat and humidity accentuate the matting. Not necessarily a problem however. After a cleaning, the hair should return to a natural appearance. I suspect your biological hair appears matted after you remove the hardhat.
    The cleaning issue seems to me is the most important issue to resolve before proceeding.
    I currently wash my hair with nizoral 2% mwf and topic shampoo and conditioner all other days. This gets my hair sufficiently clean. Are there specific shampoos and conditioners for hp or would i just use regular shampoos and conditioners? The drilling fluid is mainly water to a certain depth, and then we switch to a drilling fluid that is mainly diesel at lower depths. Yes, my hard hat does make my hair look matted down, but occasionally the wheel in the back that is used to tighten the hat snags some hair if I am not careful when removing the hat and takes several hairs with it. This is basically my concern with the hard hat as I wonder if tightening/untightening could damage the piece. Has anyone here worn a hard hat over a hairpiece on a regular basis?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I currently wash my hair with nizoral 2% mwf and topic shampoo and conditioner all other days. This gets my hair sufficiently clean. Are there specific shampoos and conditioners for hp or would i just use regular shampoos and conditioners? The drilling fluid is mainly water to a certain depth, and then we switch to a drilling fluid that is mainly diesel at lower depths. Yes, my hard hat does make my hair look matted down, but occasionally the wheel in the back that is used to tighten the hat snags some hair if I am not careful when removing the hat and takes several hairs with it. This is basically my concern with the hard hat as I wonder if tightening/untightening could damage the piece. Has anyone here worn a hard hat over a hairpiece on a regular basis?
    Mike....your situation falls into the atypical category. Perhaps you will become the pioneer.
    I researched nizoral 2%. I recommend that you contact the manufacturer's technical staff. Tell them that you are considering a hp. Ask for their advice. Questions to ask is: does the nizoral contain any chemicals that would likely loosen the bond of a liquid adhesive/tape adhesive used to attach a hp? Any other contraindications?
    On the other forum where you posted the same question someone suggested using a bandanna over your hair when wearing a hardhat. Good idea. That may solve your hardhat issues.
    A good strong conditioner used regularly will help to maintain the hp's hair. I always use a cholesteral based conditioner several times a week. Works very well for me. I think I pay about $4.00 for a large jar. Cheap and effective. Nothing better!
    Let me know what you learn and how you decide to proceed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvlace View Post
    Mike....your situation falls into the atypical category. Perhaps you will become the pioneer.
    I researched nizoral 2%. I recommend that you contact the manufacturer's technical staff. Tell them that you are considering a hp. Ask for their advice. Questions to ask is: does the nizoral contain any chemicals that would likely loosen the bond of a liquid adhesive/tape adhesive used to attach a hp? Any other contraindications?
    On the other forum where you posted the same question someone suggested using a bandanna over your hair when wearing a hardhat. Good idea. That may solve your hardhat issues.
    A good strong conditioner used regularly will help to maintain the hp's hair. I always use a cholesteral based conditioner several times a week. Works very well for me. I think I pay about $4.00 for a large jar. Cheap and effective. Nothing better!
    Let me know what you learn and how you decide to proceed.
    Honestly I use nizoarl because supposedly it helps fight hairloss somehow (its pretty popular online for this purpose) and I use Toppik shampoo and conditioner because it makes my thin crown look thicker. If I had a hp on neither of these would be necessary I could use whatever.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Honestly I use nizoarl because supposedly it helps fight hairloss somehow (its pretty popular online for this purpose) and I use Toppik shampoo and conditioner because it makes my thin crown look thicker. If I had a hp on neither of these would be necessary I could use whatever.
    In that case make a decision on wearing a hp, select a company, and go for it. Since you work 2 on /2 off, start wearing on day 1 of your off work cycle. 2 weeks of practice and adjustments. Based on your comfort level after 2 weeks you can then decide to wear on the platform immediately or wait until another 2 weeks of practice. You will know if you are ready. It may likely turn out to be far simpler than you imagine. For most new wearers it is an easy transition. Those who have problems most likely created the problems! Read online tutorials on attaching/detaching. No engineering degree required. Just basic common sense, some ability to resolve problems should they arise, and, finally, pracice and persistence.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Mike, I'm currently using Supertape and easily get a 3-week bond and some and I go regularly to the gym and sweat like the sweatest pig you can imagine...oops too much info.

    I use a small amount of glue for touch ups.

    Its really quite easy compared to many things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

6 months post HT (Before after photos)
10-01-2016 06:13 AM
Last Post By skyguy
Today 08:43 AM
propecia works great for old guys
04-14-2010 10:24 AM
by vwins
Last Post By thehatman
Today 07:41 AM
My disappointing experience with Arenamed-hair in Istanbul
08-27-2016 06:44 PM
by ziftylo
Last Post By thehatman
Today 07:35 AM