+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hairismylife View Post
    So mpb is caused by Dht or Pgd2?
    Pgd2 theory is overriding Dht doctrine?
    My theory from my observations:
    About a month ago, while I was present during the extraction of beard grafts, Dr. Cole commented that he rarely sees a beard hair in telogen. When you press on the chin where beard growth is generally thick and healthy, notice how there is a "spongy" thick adipose layer. Valerie Horsley's Yale hair growth study indicates the adipose layer plays a role in signaling the release of blood platelet growth factors to nourish hair follicles. Balding scalp has a reduced layer of fat. The reduction in growth factors sends the hair into an extended (resting) telogen phase. Extended telogen may trigger an over production of prostaglandin D2. Prostaglandin D2 can induce apoptosis in other parts of the body. Apoptosis and Prostaglandin D2 have been shown to play a role in normal hair cycles on a male scalp not affected by Androgenic Alopecia. Constantly hammering healthy hair follicles with PGD2 can't be good. When mice were injected with PGD2, they lost hair. George Cotsarelis believes it's the imbalance that's responsible for MPB. Perhaps like a leafless deciduous tree stuck in winter mode because it lacks the pro-growth factors normally associated with Spring and Summer. Of course without leaves, the tree will wither and die.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    My theory from my observations:
    About a month ago, while I was present during the extraction of beard grafts, Dr. Cole commented that he rarely sees a beard hair in telogen. When you press on the chin where beard growth is generally thick and healthy, notice how there is a "spongy" thick adipose layer. Valerie Horsley's Yale hair growth study indicates the adipose layer plays a role in signaling the release of blood platelet growth factors to nourish hair follicles. Balding scalp has a reduced layer of fat. The reduction in growth factors sends the hair into an extended (resting) telogen phase. Extended telogen may trigger an over production of prostaglandin D2. Prostaglandin D2 can induce apoptosis in other parts of the body. Apoptosis and Prostaglandin D2 have been shown to play a role in normal hair cycles on a male scalp not affected by Androgenic Alopecia. Constantly hammering healthy hair follicles with PGD2 can't be good. When mice were injected with PGD2, they lost hair. George Cotsarelis believes it's the imbalance that's responsible for MPB. Perhaps like a leafless deciduous tree stuck in winter mode because it lacks the pro-growth factors normally associated with Spring and Summer. Of course without leaves, the tree will wither and die.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    This is because in anagen there is a huge increase of adipose tissue alongside vascularization this subsequently leads to a thicker dermis, in telogen this diminishes greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    This is because in anagen there is a huge increase of adipose tissue alongside vascularization this subsequently leads to a thicker dermis, in telogen this diminishes greatly.

So it seems that hair follicles can only grow under certain conditions. Over expressed pgd2 creates an environment where hairs cannot grow. THIS is the best preventative treatment possible. This thread should be over 50 pages long because it's the most exciting avenue for prevention and maintenance. Yet, people on here are cold about it because Cotsarelis was coy when asked questions about his potential money making machine from some guy from a hair loss forum. They're not bothered by not letting us have any information or updates on their product because they don't answer to us. If something that will create billions annually and will actually solve the problem for most but isn't going to be released, then we live in an alternate universe where smart people are dumb, and rubbing an onion on your head actually works for mpb.

I'll say it once more: I'm convinced a PGD2 topical inhibitor will come out soon. Given the timeline, and availability of fda approved drugs, the incentive, and the length of time that has already passed, it's bound to be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    Oh, please. That was nothing but misinformation. The actual quote goes something like this: "$2 million will bring a treatment that's more effective that minoxidil and propecia, $20 million would bring the type of funding needed to give a bald person a full head of hair, but will take more years to achieve."

They don't have $2 million for a drug that's more effective that minoxidil and propecia? I understand puretech ventures received $55 million for a number of treatments in their pipeline, and follica wasn't mentioned. So you mean to tell me they have a drug that could solve hair loss potentially for both men and women, with no sexual side effects, that could bring in billions every year, and they're too cheap to shell out $2 million for it? Then they are the biggest morons history has every known.
    This is true. I'd guess Cot's failed and that's why follica isn't getting any money. They probably threw in the towel with him after all these years of false promises. He's been quiet for awhile now, and they lost their president a couple months after he made a exciting release on the potential of their technology. Unfortunately, I think they're out of the game and we will see new hair loss researchers that replace old cot's. Further, he was extremely pessimistic to desmond in his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    Oh, please. That was nothing but misinformation. The actual quote goes something like this: "$2 million will bring a treatment that's more effective that minoxidil and propecia, $20 million would bring the type of funding needed to give a bald person a full head of hair, but will take more years to achieve."

They don't have $2 million for a drug that's more effective that minoxidil and propecia? I understand puretech ventures received $55 million for a number of treatments in their pipeline, and follica wasn't mentioned. So you mean to tell me they have a drug that could solve hair loss potentially for both men and women, with no sexual side effects, that could bring in billions every year, and they're too cheap to shell out $2 million for it? Then they are the biggest morons history has every known.
    This comment needs to be sent to Daphne Zohar, she's the founder of Puretech Ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    This is true. I'd guess Cot's failed and that's why follica isn't getting any money. They probably threw in the towel with him after all these years of false promises. He's been quiet for awhile now, and they lost their president a couple months after he made a exciting release on the potential of their technology. Unfortunately, I think they're out of the game and we will see new hair loss researchers that replace old cot's. Further, he was extremely pessimistic to desmond in his interview.

I don't understand the thinking that just because we aren't getting pieces of news from them, it means they're "out of the game."
    The science is in the discovery of PGD2 causing hair loss, the theory has been tested, and there are drugs that already block the receptor. Giving too revealing hints to others about their methods, progress, funding etc. would be counter-productive despite how much we want it. Regarding Desmond's encounter with Cots, I believe it makes sense for him to be cold and withholding. The guy is trying to cure baldness, doesn't really give interviews, and needs to be protective of their work.

By the way, if you didn't watch the presentation it shows that they could reverse the inhibition of hair growth with a blocker, and it was human hair. So, it works.

I see kane has Pgd2 inhibitor available, worth a trial?

So what can I use off the shelf to reverse PGD2 inhibition?

Quote Originally Posted by inbrugge View Post
    So what can I use off the shelf to reverse PGD2 inhibition?
    This.