+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don’t think most that work in the medical industry even understand their own history………….I mean really do you know the history of your industry. Let’s go back only 100 years for now. It’s two guys getting together figuring out how they can control the system, eliminate competition and sell their pills. They did it first by controlling who and how someone got licensed, they then eliminated the competition legislatively. It’s the same system today only much bigger. Some of it, a very small percentage is of value under some circumstances the rest is simply about driving profit.

So when you push your healing ointments you are in fact working for the same system those two guys set up that was simply about making money and nothing more. There are better ways you just don’t know them.

I am always impressed with certain cultures of people like people of Asian descent. And take note of the Japanese who are extremely nutritious conscious and have a correspondingly lower rate of disease and higher mortality rate.

The western hemisphere wants and demands the quick fix and no wonder why the drug companies are getting rich and have a pill for everything and anything that ails you.

I have personally learned to be much more pro-active with my nutrition after I nearly died. Yet once I had late stage cancer, I would undoubtedly been a dead man without the chemo.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Doctor Representative

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    I am always impressed with certain cultures of people like people of Asian descent. And take note of the Japanese who are extremely nutritious conscious and have a correspondingly lower rate of disease and higher mortality rate.

The western hemisphere wants and demands the quick fix and no wonder why the drug companies are getting rich and have a pill for everything and anything that ails you.

I have personally learned to be much more pro-active with my nutrition after I nearly died. Yet once I had late stage cancer, I would undoubtedly been a dead man without the chemo.
    Wow. Thanks for sharing that story, Gillenator.
    Assuming you take Finasteride, it would be interesting to hear your reasons for choosing to take meds for hair loss considering you have dealt with and (thankfully) beat cancer. Do you ever have any worries about the long term effects meds could possibly have?
    I do take Finasteride but sometimes wonder if it is something that I'll regret in 15-20 years. We don't get alot people sharing stories like the one you shared, so your thoughts on this topic are interesting.
    Another thing that interests me is that after battling cancer, you're still very active in hair restoration; ie. your aesthetics/looks are a concern for you. That's pretty cool though.
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012

AfterHair,

Thanks for the kind words my friend. Most people dread the "C" word and most of the time, it's not easy for me to discuss. But I do so to give other people hope. You have no idea how many emails that I received several months ago when a sole poster was accusing me of being hypocritical with my motives for helping others. I am not being critical of him because I truly believe he was genuine of his convictions and a victim of poor HT work in the past. Actually, he's a good guy IMHO. The truth is that I spend far more time with volunteer hospice support than posting in these forums and unfortunately, most of the people referred to me do not survive. So although my hair thinned greatly from the chemo, I am very grateful for it but care far more about people than hair.

Most of these were men who are presently dealing with various cancers. I also heard from a few women with breast cancer and one with cervical cancer. It blew me away. It ended up to be more of a moral support and counseling exchange instead of recommendations. Most of them wanted advice in getting procedures to replace hair lost from cancer treatments like chemo. Some guys had both chemo and radiation and lost everything on their scalps. A few had more of a advanced thinning of their hair density/mass but I strongly urged them "not" to have any HT surgery.

They were not late stage or terminal cases like mine but still, it is ill-advisable to think HTs is the answer when losing hair to cancer treatments. If the individuals survive after treatment, the hair will grow back in most cases. So it's really a matter of waiting and nutrition.

As far as finasteride goes, I started consuming low dose in 1996 and to this day. Because of my health history of cancer and diabetes among other things, I have a complete blood work/labs done every three months like clock-work. Amazingly, my PCP tells me that I have great numbers in every category. My glucose is high sometimes but I watch what I eat and purposefully eat nutritiously. Finasteride is still to this day keeping my crown from thinning and spreading out. So honestly, to some degree I still do care about not being bald. I don't think we ever stop caring about that because we all once had hair and when we lose it, there is still a sense of loss.

I do exercise regularly with a cardio plan and light weight lifting for toning. I also earned a black belt in Taekwondo, Mudokwon style so I strengthen my body without any heavy weights. Not trying to gain muscle mass, just staying in shape. I am somewhat limited in jogging because I only have one lung, but there are many ways to skin the cat if you know what I mean.

BTW, my photo was taken at a studio just before the chemo started. My wife wanted a current photo in case that I did not survive the cancer. My hair density is thinner than that now but that's ok and not shaken by it. I had four separate FUHT procedures totaling 6900 grafts to get to the point in the photo.

Your pics are absolutely awesome and you obviously have experienced some great success and transformation. I am sure you are happy with your own results my friend...take care and thanks again!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd time View Post
    Wish I knew about all this earlier. Especially the liposomal. I was give saline spray for the first two days post op.
    Same here, saline spray which I thought was a bit minimal honestly. I know supposedly at 4 to 5 months Im still "early" but I have these small "spots" of grafts that have grown with no density surrounded by bare spots. Im afraid for some reason my temples just refused to take hairs. I keep hope alive but reality in my heart at all times. Least you had two successful ones, but the thought of losing all those useful hairs is awful. My doc said if it doesnt grow right he will do another but REALLY, do you want to try again depleting more of your donor hair?

stressful to say the least

Doctor Representative

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    AfterHair,

Thanks for the kind words my friend. Most people dread the "C" word and most of the time, it's not easy for me to discuss. But I do so to give other people hope. You have no idea how many emails that I received several months ago when a sole poster was accusing me of being hypocritical with my motives for helping others. I am not being critical of him because I truly believe he was genuine of his convictions and a victim of poor HT work in the past. Actually, he's a good guy IMHO. The truth is that I spend far more time with volunteer hospice support than posting in these forums and unfortunately, most of the people referred to me do not survive. So although my hair thinned greatly from the chemo, I am very grateful for it but care far more about people than hair.

Most of these were men who are presently dealing with various cancers. I also heard from a few women with breast cancer and one with cervical cancer. It blew me away. It ended up to be more of a moral support and counseling exchange instead of recommendations. Most of them wanted advice in getting procedures to replace hair lost from cancer treatments like chemo. Some guys had both chemo and radiation and lost everything on their scalps. A few had more of a advanced thinning of their hair density/mass but I strongly urged them "not" to have any HT surgery.

They were not late stage or terminal cases like mine but still, it is ill-advisable to think HTs is the answer when losing hair to cancer treatments. If the individuals survive after treatment, the hair will grow back in most cases. So it's really a matter of waiting and nutrition.

As far as finasteride goes, I started consuming low dose in 1996 and to this day. Because of my health history of cancer and diabetes among other things, I have a complete blood work/labs done every three months like clock-work. Amazingly, my PCP tells me that I have great numbers in every category. My glucose is high sometimes but I watch what I eat and purposefully eat nutritiously. Finasteride is still to this day keeping my crown from thinning and spreading out. So honestly, to some degree I still do care about not being bald. I don't think we ever stop caring about that because we all once had hair and when we lose it, there is still a sense of loss.

I do exercise regularly with a cardio plan and light weight lifting for toning. I also earned a black belt in Taekwondo, Mudokwon style so I strengthen my body without any heavy weights. Not trying to gain muscle mass, just staying in shape. I am somewhat limited in jogging because I only have one lung, but there are many ways to skin the cat if you know what I mean.

BTW, my photo was taken at a studio just before the chemo started. My wife wanted a current photo in case that I did not survive the cancer. My hair density is thinner than that now but that's ok and not shaken by it. I had four separate FUHT procedures totaling 6900 grafts to get to the point in the photo.

Your pics are absolutely awesome and you obviously have experienced some great success and transformation. I am sure you are happy with your own results my friend...take care and thanks again!
    Gillenator, wow what a story.
    I already had respect for you based on your posts on hair loss forums.. but knowing where you have come from, and the place in your heart that your desire to help others comes from, I have even more respect for you.
    Thank you so much for being a great guy. I've only read about how tough it is to volunteer or work in hospice, and most people couldn't imagine actually doing that.

Regarding your limitation in jogging, it reminded me of the movie Seven Pounds, where Will Smith's brother was jogging and said "I'm in the greatest shape of my life". At the end of the movie, we realized he was actually jogging and living with just 1 lung. I know its a movie, but it is nice to know that a person can be in good shape with 1 lung. Clearly, with your exercising and black belt in Taekwondo, you're an example!

I'm glad I got to hear about your nutrition and that you continue to take Finasteride. Honestly, your story was inspiring and got me thinking more about my poor nutrition habits. I think I need to follow your example of better nutrition and exercise, and will continue to take Finasteride.

We're all kind of in this together.. like it or not, we are a brotherhood of hair loss sufferers.. some people farther up on the path than others (you mentioned you've been taking it since 1996). I appreciate having the advice of people with more experience (4 HT's 6000+ grafts) and wisdom.

Thanks again pal..
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012