+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 5 days on 0.5mg fin can't get an erection please help

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if this is normal or if this is a bad sign

About Me:
    • 30 years old, very healthy, great physical shape, diffuse thinning all over from the front to back of head in mpb area.
    • I've been taking 0.5mg of fin everyday before bed for 5 days.
    • I live in Canada, the fin is a generic brand called PMS, this is made in Canada.
    • Might be worth noting, I haven't had morning erections for the last few years but I can get normal erections during stimulation.

Physical Changes:
    • After a few days I noticed a lack of interest/desire in sex.
    • I can't get an erection and when I really try through self-stimulation I can only get a semi hard 30-40% erection at best and it lasts for seconds.
    • My nipples and surrounding areas have become larger like they've gained a tablespoon of fat around them.
    • After my most recent dose last night I felt a coldness in my testicles, kind of a like a minor numbness, no pain just a cold feeling.
    • Workouts are the same, still have the same physical strength to lift my current weight amounts.

Mental Changes:
    • No changes at all, feel the same and have had no mind fog or any lack of mental sharpness.

Questions:

1.) Has anyone else had similar experiences this early on?
    2.) Is this just my body adjusting to the finasteride?
    3.) Is it safe to continue?

For the record, I'm asking you guys because my doctor is useless. She didn't even know what finasteride was until I told her and then she wrote me a script. I also asked her for a dht and testosterone test and refused stating that no matter what the result was, it had no bearing on anything no matter what the results were.

I'm not a doctor but I am a transgender woman and I can tell you that I have done WAY more than you have and I did not get breast growth in that amount of time from anything I have done.

You sound like you have a hormone issue that finisteride has exasperated and you should certainly have your androgens measured and E levels taken by an endocrinologist.

Any type of erectile dysfunction at your age is not normal and warrants medical attention.

You could have a putitary tumor that is causeing a steady decline in androgens and a high output of estrogen.

Oh and find a compitent endocrinologist. The woman you saw sounds like a really bad person to take any medical advice from. Anyone who claims a blood test to check hormone levels is a waste of time is a fool.

Unless you were asking because of your hair issues, which honestly unless you are transgender there is no point in checking for hair loss. The only test that would matter is measuring androgen levels at the scalp, which is impossible at this time.

If you want to remain a sexually functional male I would stop taking finisteride until you get to the bottom of this. You have not been taking it long enough to have any issues with stopping.

I'm not a doctor but I am a transgender woman and I can tell you that I have done WAY more than you have and I did not get breast growth in that amount of time from anything I have done.
    It's nothing crazy, but let's say you took a tablespoon of jelly and put it under my skin behind the nipple area. Also, my nipples have become a little softer.

You sound like you have a hormone issue that finisteride has exasperated and you should certainly have your androgens measured and E levels taken by an endocrinologist.
    Any type of erectile dysfunction at your age is not normal and warrants medical attention.

You could have a putitary tumor that is causeing a steady decline in androgens and a high output of estrogen.
    Ok, this sounds scary but I do question a potential hormone issue due to the fact I haven't had morning erections for the last few years. Aside from the lack of morning erections I could still get erections with stimulation. For sure this is a concern.

Oh and find a compitent endocrinologist. The woman you saw sounds like a really bad person to take any medical advice from. Anyone who claims a blood test to check hormone levels is a waste of time is a fool.

Unless you were asking because of your hair issues, which honestly unless you are transgender there is no point in checking for hair loss. The only test that would matter is measuring androgen levels at the scalp, which is impossible at this time.
    I asked my doctor for a test for the purpose of getting a baseline level of things before and after using finasteride but she declined. This is Canada remember, yes the health care is technically free but its a joke (at least in my experience) in providing any assistance. I also asked for a physical as I was concerned with doing a prostate check before using fin to get a baseline (as in some cases using fin may mask any issue) and she also declined, saying I wouldn't need a physical until at least 40. About 2 years ago when I asked for a blood test just for general health, I didn't mention hair or anything. I took the test, they never told me the results so I went in to see her a year later and she said everything looked good except my "iron levels were at about 60% but wasn't a cause for concern" whatever that means?

If you want to remain a sexually functional male I would stop taking finisteride until you get to the bottom of this. You have not been taking it long enough to have any issues with stopping.
    I think this is probably a good idea. I really don't want to lose my hair but I definitely want to get erections. Either way it really sucks, and at the moment I still have some numbness in my penis and can't get an erection.

You mentioned: "have your androgens measured and E levels taken by an endocrinologist."

If so, what exactly am I saying to my doctor? I need to be briefed word for word because they make it as hard as possible for me to have anything done. Remember, I'm in Canada, it took me 6 months to get an appointment with a dermatologist and when you get the appointment, they spend about 3 minutes on you before pushing you out the door.

if your going to take the medication then do it gradually, every 3 or 4 days for a month and then 2 days, thats what i've started to do, allow your body to get used to the drug, really you don;t need to take it everyday.

I can almost assure you that it is not due to your medication.
    and If you decided to give a fin a try, I say yes and go ahead.

not sure why you started with 0.5 dosage, my guess is that you are afraid of sides? correct?

More like mental stress to me the way you describe. It's all normal!

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity123 View Post

not sure why you started with 0.5 dosage, my guess is that you are afraid of sides? correct?

How can you say the dysfunction is not from finasteride? Why are people so protective over this drug. I've experienced them
    First hand myself. Luckily recovered from it. It's not all psychosomatic..my junk went numb on the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by matlondon View Post
    if your going to take the medication then do it gradually, every 3 or 4 days for a month and then 2 days, thats what i've started to do, allow your body to get used to the drug, really you don;t need to take it everyday.
    Hey thanks for your comment. I understand the logic to this. Is there any supportive evidence to confirm this method is effective and safer?

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity123 View Post

The 0.5 dosage is because I'm afraid of the sides yes. I've read charts of fin's effectiveness and there's not that much difference between 0.5mg and 1mg so I'd prefer to use less.

Mental stress? maybe..

The first day I was fine, the second day I started to feel numb so there was definitely so physical sides going on. The last dose I felt a cold tingling in my testicles and by then I couldn't get erections even when I tried.

To update, I've been off for about 4 days I think and my libido is coming back, I can get errections again, doesn't feel as hard but I can at least get them again.

I'm considering just getting a hair transplant instead, it sucks because I have diffuse thinning but not having a working penis is a million times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroes View Post
    How can you say the dysfunction is not from finasteride? Why are people so protective over this drug. I've experienced them
    First hand myself. Luckily recovered from it. It's not all psychosomatic..my junk went numb on the stuff.
    It's understandable and I'm neutral about the use of the drug. If it was really so bad I don't think it'd be allowed to be sold. I'm glad I tried it to see and I'm upset I was getting sides on it.

Luckily, I've been getting erections again. not 100% to where I was yet but feel like I'm on my way.

Again, there are lots of people with success of fin and they aren't actively going online to spread the word of how effective it is. It's those with sides who make a fuss about it, and I completely understand their reasoning.

It really really sucks to go bald and I'm becoming more and more embarrassed about it with each day of all the hair I lose.

It sucks we live in a world that puts importance on vanity but it only matters if you let it, something I still haven't been able to overcome and a result of me taking finasteride.

Hair transplant here I come...

Quote Originally Posted by salvation View Post
    For the record, I'm asking you guys because my doctor is useless. She didn't even know what finasteride was until I told her and then she wrote me a script. I also asked her for a dht and testosterone test and refused stating that no matter what the result was, it had no bearing on anything no matter what the results were.
    This is what happens when doctors in Canada get a paycheck regardless of their performance or competence. Absolutely terrible.

Anyway, try getting RU58841. It's just as powerful as finasteride however its topical.