+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going from Propecia to generic finasteride - anyone had issues?

My story:

Been on Propecia for the past 8 years (not much change to hair during that time) until my GP suggested I save money by switching to generic finasteride (which I stupidly accepted):

12/05/2013 - Switched to Finasteride 5mg (divided by 4)
    04/14/2014 - Refilled Finasteride (Different from the above one: USP, long blue tablets)
    05/02/2013 - Around this time started thinking maybe I lost hair and freaked out
    05/05/2014 - Switched back to Propecia

Now I am not sure if the first generic or second one caused me the issues, but I definitely noticed thinning. I have an appointment with dermatologist tomorrow. I also feel like my scalp it itchy. I am scared out of my mind that my hair thinning will continue.

Anyone had experience switching up the drugs like this? Did your hair thin? Did you switch back and did you gain recently lost hair back? *crossed fingers*

I saw dermatologist today and she said that 0.25mg dosage shouldn't make much difference and she doesn't think generic vs brand should matter, but said theoretically if somehow I wasn't assimilating full dosage I could lose some ground and said that I should just stay on Propecia if it works for me (or if nothing other than peace of mind) and that since I have been taking propecia closer to a month already that I should more or less be stabilized now.

I also asked her about 'checking DHT in the blood' which I saw guys talking about online few times, but she said there is no such test and that checking DHT in the blood has little to do with DHT in the scalp.

About itchy scalp she said it is most likely stress and itchiness doesn't mean my follicles are dying (like I thought).

I was only speculating what was happening when I said there was shedding that may have been from the minor increase.

You certainly can get a DHT blood test to check your levels, I have had it. Though as she had said there is no way to test scalp DHT.

Your hair loss just may be continuing on its own. Remember that Fin and Dut are not a cure for hair loss. Eventually they lose effectiveness.

Take it from me. I am a transgender woman. I have been CASTRATED, as in had my testicles surgically removed. I am taking Dutasteride every day AND replacing my male hormones with Estrogen. I STILL do not know if my hair loss has fully stopped yet.

Think about that and please try to understand.

Yeah, she said you can get DHT blood test and that it is just useless in terms of telling you what's up with your hair.

If it is continuing on its own it is fine, because the process for me is very slow in general.

Well, I never realized castrating myself could slow it down further. Brb cutting them off (not srs)

I don't want to slow it down, I want to stop it cold and reverse the miniaturized hairs I have in the frontal area.

Are you familiar with that?

Not to be annoying but I'm sure since I'm 22 and I have been castrated and treating my hair loss so aggressively logically I probably will have better results (hopefully) than most people here. Unless they want to do what I have done LOL

But can you tell me if you have seen a reversal in the miniaturized hairs in the frontal area that become thicker and denser? I know it may be regressing now but I mean at any point did you see a reversal?

Haha oh stop trust me you would never want to be castrated )

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
    I don't want to slow it down, I want to stop it cold and reverse the miniaturized hairs I have in the frontal area.

Are you familiar with that?

Not to be annoying but I'm sure since I'm 22 and I have been castrated and treating my hair loss so aggressively logically I probably will have better results (hopefully) than most people here. Unless they want to do what I have done LOL

But can you tell me if you have seen a reversal in the miniaturized hairs in the frontal area that become thicker and denser? I know it may be regressing now but I mean at any point did you see a reversal?
    To be honest it depends on a person and how you respond. I always had slightly receding hairline and I don't think propecia did much for me other than regrow just a little bit of hair and maintaining it. Maybe because it doesn't regrow hairs on the hairline as well as if you were to lose it all over the head.

On the other hand, I have a friend who was virtually bald around 21-22 (when he got on propecia) and he is 35 now and while it is not full thick head of hair he has normal hair. Propecia did wonders for him.

Thanks for the info. That certainly does not make me feel good

I have coverage, my juvenile hairline is actually still technically intact its just miniaturized. The forelock area has thinned as well. It's not noticable except in bright light and really close up, even then no one notices. So I'm hoping ot is still early enough in the miniaturization process to be reversed.

Logically men see a reversal because they are blocking DHT. Even a with finisteride they are not blocking half as much as I am, yet they are recovering as you mentioned a large amount of hair sometimes, usually when they are young like me. That is still when they have 100% androgen production still going on.

I know being castrated removes about 60% DHT production in itself and using Dut will all of the 40% that's left.

My logic is then I should see a dramatic reversal. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I hate that the most But it's only been 4 months since my surgery and 7 months since I started HRT so I still have a long time to wait for a reversal.

Quote Originally Posted by fml123 View Post
    My story:

Been on Propecia for the past 8 years (not much change to hair during that time) until my GP suggested I save money by switching to generic finasteride (which I stupidly accepted):

12/05/2013 - Switched to Finasteride 5mg (divided by 4)
    04/14/2014 - Refilled Finasteride (Different from the above one: USP, long blue tablets)
    05/02/2013 - Around this time started thinking maybe I lost hair and freaked out
    05/05/2014 - Switched back to Propecia

Now I am not sure if the first generic or second one caused me the issues, but I definitely noticed thinning. I have an appointment with dermatologist tomorrow. I also feel like my scalp it itchy. I am scared out of my mind that my hair thinning will continue.

Anyone had experience switching up the drugs like this? Did your hair thin? Did you switch back and did you gain recently lost hair back? *crossed fingers*
    I can't be sure but I think I've noticed an increase in receding hairline after about a month of switching from propecia to generic. I also had some minor side effects from propecia and no side effects on the generic...which worries me that it's not working in the same way the propecia was. Are you going to switch back for sure? Seems like there are stories out there of people who have had negative effect from switching to generic?

Quote Originally Posted by mirage12 View Post
    I can't be sure but I think I've noticed an increase in receding hairline after about a month of switching from propecia to generic. I also had some minor side effects from propecia and no side effects on the generic...which worries me that it's not working in the same way the propecia was. Are you going to switch back for sure? Seems like there are stories out there of people who have had negative effect from switching to generic?
    Yeah... I already switched back to Propecia 25 days ago. Hope I can stabilize and maybe regrow recently lost hair. They say recent loss is easier to re-grow. I would say itching sensation in my scalp has ceased too, but again dermatologist said it is probably just nerves.

I'll report back in 1-2 months to let you know how it went. I have a friend who switched to generic Propecia (1mg finasteride) and he reported no difference. I may try that in future but I am definitely not going back to cutting pills business.

Been back on Propecia for almost 5 weeks now. Actually itching hasn't stopped after all. I am really worried itching isn't because of stress, but because my hair is dying. I also found it odd that itching started as soon as I freaked out about hair loss and switched back to Propecia and when I was on generic itself for 5 months nothing happened.

My head itches in random places though: in the back where no one loses hair too..

Praying this stabilizes soon..