+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Getting a hair system. Need advice. (Pics)

I need to know some of your educated opinions. Judging by my pics, should I shave the top of my head back to where the hair gets thick, then make my template for that portion. Or should I just make one for the hairline with no shaving. I'm kind if leaning towards the former, but I need opinions. Please note that in the pic, my hair doesn't seem as thin as it is in reality. My phone doesn't capture how thin I am on top.

Skin or lace? I'm very anal about natural looks. This will be my first hair system so I don't know which I would prefer.

Also where do most people go to get custom hair systems styled? Can someone point me in the right direction here? If I were to order a custom piece, where could I go to get it styled and fitted right?

Thanks.
    Attached Images

I don't wear a system...yet!

However, I have been lurking around the Northwest Lace Forum and they seem to have some good information there - essentially for 'do it yourself' users.

NW Lace is a great place to start. Also Hair Direct has an entire library of information.

As for lace versus skin it's a matter of personal choice. I have always used lace. But I also like to do my own ventilation which allows me to replace hair as the system sheds. Ventilation not possible with skin.

You can make a template without shaving. Just make sure the template accurately represents the area you want the hair piece to cover. Attaching over the remaining hair on your scalp without shaving is possible as long as the hair in the affected areas is not dense. Your hair does not appear to be dense. Also keep in mind that your "new" hairline will be lower. The hairline of the hairpiece will be attached to an area with no hair. You just need to be sure that the system attaches securely to those areas on the sides and back where some hair remains. When you receive the system you can try an attachment without shaving. If it does not work then shave.

In your case you want to be certain that the hair in the system blends well at the sides and back into your existing hair.

As for a stylist the NW Lace forum has a link to a sylist ((Debbie) who can do a cut. I used her many years ago before I starting doing my own cuts. She does a great job. She will follow your explicit instructions.

1. I would create a template to cover the whole of the affected (bald or thin) area. In my case I go back to the crown (about 8 inches) and from side to side 5.25 inches; just to give you an idea.

2. you dont need to shave your head to make a template.

3. you will need to shave your head to get the best bond between scalp and hair system, but that will come some weeks away.

4. for the hair line you can either check old pictures or take 4 fingers starting at the bridge of your nose and this would give a suitable hairline start.

5. I started with swiss lace and I have stuck to it ever since.

6. where to get a cut in, well that depends on your location. Im sure more help will follow once your have posted that answer.

getting a hair system will change your life.

I am a do it yourself user and once you know you will save time and money all from the comfort of your own home

Thanks for the good replies!

One big thing for me is finding a good stylist. I don't want to style it myself the first time. I'd rather have a professional style it for me the first time and show me how to do it so I can help myself.

I've googled hair system stylists or just salons in my closest big city and there are a couple that come up. But most of them seem like those "hair club" type things because on their websites it mentions "hair programs". I'm not sure what to do. What advice my someone have for this?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldnessfalls View Post
    Thanks for the good replies!

One big thing for me is finding a good stylist. I don't want to style it myself the first time. I'd rather have a professional style it for me the first time and show me how to do it so I can help myself.

I've googled hair system stylists or just salons in my closest big city and there are a couple that come up. But most of them seem like those "hair club" type things because on their websites it mentions "hair programs". I'm not sure what to do. What advice my someone have for this?

Thanks again!
    As I previously mentioned the stylist listed on the NW Lace named Debbie does a great job. Many guys have used her including me several years ago. Find some pics of the style you like and simply describe carefully the lengths (front, top, back, and sides you desire) and she will cut to your specs. Based on your posted pic you do not have a complicated or exotic hair style. Easy for Debbie to achieve. Very inexpensive also.

Stay away from the "program" stylists. Ripoffs!!

Thanks. I will definitely take Debbie into consideration. I'm just kind of afraid it might not be exactly right since its not being cut directly on my head. I thought I might prefer to have a stylist do it while its on my head. That way if changes are desired it can be done right then and there. But I'm sure since Debbie has probably done thousands of them, she could possible be a great option. My biggest thing is get the density in the front correctly.

I tried making a template last night but I found it difficult since I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm not a stylist or an artist so I'm lost trying trace the hairline where it should be. Kind of tough. But I watched some videos and I'm going to try it again tonight. I think I understand what to do now.

Thanks for the help!