+ Reply to Thread

Angry Am I going bald at 17??! UGRENT :( (PICS)

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and it is sad seeing that this would be my first open thread but I had no choice. Growing up ( till 16 ) I had really thick curly/wavy hair. Just a few month ago, I started noticing that my hair is becoming very thin. The only was I got it to get this straight and thin before was to straighten it using a flat iron ( don't judge ). However, now all I have to do is just blow dry it and it becomes kinda straight. Right now I can see my scalp showing at the front of my head. My point is that my hair has become really really thin. I shower every morning before school, and I also use just head and shoulder on my hair. I have no where else to turn but to you guys, and if this is serious I will go check in with a doctor ( I don't wanna do that) all help will be highly appreciated it, thanks in advance. Sorry if the pictures are not clear, but I think they are fine. If you need more picture to conclude please tell me! I'm paranoid as you can tell lol

** I will put up some "before pictures" as soon as I get a hold of them!
    Pics:
    http://prntscr.com/3mn60s
    http://prntscr.com/3mn66j
    http://prntscr.com/3mn6hd
    http://prntscr.com/3mn6jg
    http://prntscr.com/3mn6t5
    http://prntscr.com/3mn73y
    http://prntscr.com/3mn7c5
    http://prntscr.com/3mn7km
    http://prntscr.com/3mn7q9

It does look like its thinning. You could have mpb. Go to a dermatologist to find out. Remember the faster you do something about it the better. Check your blood and everything to see if there's anything abnormal. One of the pics you had a spot where there weren't many hairs,i have that and im balding.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnt View Post
    It does look like its thinning. You could have mpb. Go to a dermatologist to find out. Remember the faster you do something about it the better. Check your blood and everything to see if there's anything abnormal. One of the pics you had a spot where there weren't many hairs,i have that and im balding.
    oh man, so i'm in trouble??? I can see my scalp from the front. Am I in big trouble? I mean how does someone loose hair at only 17!

Getting extremely scared and depressed, does it look like I have MPB? My moms side are all bald, however on my dads everyone got full head of hair and they are over the age 40 including my dad.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sourman View Post
    Getting extremely scared and depressed, does it look like I have MPB? My moms side are all bald, however on my dads everyone got full head of hair and they are over the age 40 including my dad.
    Brings back memories. When I was your age, there were no effective treatments available. Things are looking much brighter for you young guys in 2014. Try not to stress over it. I would start using Rogaine with a derma roller. I would also consider Propecia, should there be additional hair loss in the early twenties. Your hair doesn't look bad in the photos at all. If you are ever in the Atlanta area we can have a look at you at N/C. We use HairCheck and keep the hair mass numbers on file for future comparison. You really can't tell much from the photos you posted. How bald are the men on your mother's side of the family?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Brings back memories. When I was your age, there were no effective treatments available. Things are looking much brighter for you young guys in 2014. Try not to stress over it. I would start using Rogaine with a derma roller. I would also consider Propecia, should there be additional hair loss in the early twenties. Your hair doesn't look bad in the photos at all. If you are ever in the Atlanta area we can have a look at you at N/C. We use HairCheck and keep the hair mass numbers on file for future comparison. You really can't tell much from the photos you posted. How bald are the men on your mother's side of the family?

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Everyone from my moms side is bald, everyone went bald around 26-32. Am I in trouble? Can it be my hormones and such? I am not able to grow very much facial hair if it helps.

Your not alone many people start losing their hair when puberty starts/ends. Go to a dermo and take a blood test so you can scratch out thyroid and other deficiencies. Then you can conclude you might have mpb

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sourman View Post
    Everyone from my moms side is bald, everyone went bald around 26-32. Am I in trouble? Can it be my hormones and such? I am not able to grow very much facial hair if it helps.
    You may or may not have inherited the MPB gene. Related to facial hair, Male Pattern baldness is very rare among Native Americans. They also don't have heavy beards if much facial hair at all. Consider identical male twins. If one is castrated before reaching puberty, he will not grow facial hair or body hair and will not develop Male Pattern Baldness, even if his non-castrated brother becomes a Norwood 7. DHT is not a hair killer. It promotes beard and body hair growth in men, yet it contributes to the miniaturization of scalp hair in susceptible men.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    You may or may not have inherited the MPB gene. Related to facial hair, Male Pattern baldness is very rare among Native Americans. They also don't have heavy beards if much facial hair at all. Consider identical male twins. If one is castrated before reaching puberty, he will not grow facial hair or body hair and will not develop Male Pattern Baldness, even if his non-castrated brother becomes a Norwood 7. DHT is not a hair killer. It promotes beard and body hair growth in men, yet it contributes to the miniaturization of scalp hair in susceptible men.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    I'm not a native american, i'm from the middle east where almost all men are bald. My dad and everyone on his side has full thick hair.