What's more dangerous: birth-control pill or finasteride? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Question What's more dangerous: birth-control pill or finasteride?

Hi everybody! I'm new to this community although I've been reading it from time to time and I've learn a lot of things. I would like you to help me with this question.

First off, by "dangerous" I just mean wich pill does cause more harm to the health of those who take it. The reason why I ask that is that I have my doubts regarding taking finasteride, I mean, I'm not sure about starting the treatment myself because of its potential risk long-term and I think it would be useful to know if so much women are taking more risk that I would. The percentage of women in birth-control pill is so much bigger than the men in finasteride.

There's so much controversy regarding this particular drug... with things like propeciahelp and on the other hand I've seen studies with more than thouseand people which imply that the secondary effects affect very few people (sexual effects being less common than with antidepressant, for example).

With the birth-control pill we havve things like venous thromboembolism which are really scary, and that makes me think that the risk I would take starting treatment with finasteride would be much lesser than the one almost every western women takes.

What are your thoughts on this question?

What does birth control have to do with finasteride again? I must have missed that part because to me they are totally unrelated.
    If you search the forum you can probably find hundreds or thousands of threads of people arguing over the safety of finasteride. It is a safe drug and been used for the last 20 years. Its your decision whether to use it or not because there are no other good options.

What Finasteride and Birth Control Pill may have common is sexual side effects (loss of libido).

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Its your decision whether to use it or not because there are no other good options.
    Fin is our best option at the moment. I have been around this forum for almost a year now and have heard so many arguments for and against taking finasteride and whether or not it is safe. At the end of the day everybody has to do their own research and make the decision that is best for them.

Hey guys ,
    I am new to this forum ,
    I started my hair loss at 19 now i am 24. I know about finasteride but dint take becoz all of the stories of the side effects . But 2 months before i made a decision to take fin .

Now i am 2 months on finasteride dr. Reddy 1 mg daily.

No side effects i realized till now .

And i am planning to get a ht .

I am kind of norwood 2-3 lost sides and diffused on top .

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    What does birth control have to do with finasteride again? I must have missed that part because to me they are totally unrelated.
    If you search the forum you can probably find hundreds or thousands of threads of people arguing over the safety of finasteride. It is a safe drug and been used for the last 20 years. Its your decision whether to use it or not because there are no other good options.
    What they have in common is that they're drugs that are not prescribed for a life-threatening condition and so you can avoid them and still have a healthy life but a LOT of women chose to use the pill knowing the risks. If taking finasteride tend to be less harmful than taking the birth-control pill and you give publicity to that fact then a lot more men will take finasteride just because taking the birth-control pill is seen as something NORMAL and ORDINARY. In other words: aknowledging that point (if it's true, I don't know) will ease the mind of so many finasteride users in this forum.