+ Reply to Thread

playsound Infomercials on Hair Transplants

I was looking for a thread on this topic but didn't find anything, sorry if there is a existing thread on this topic

I find the infomercials that run by various companies an embarrassment for the HT industry.

My point is that the hairloss industry you see them all the time Hairclub and Bosely in my area are on all the time. They are so cheesy / poorly done and embarrassing on a certain level. They make it seem like these people have found new life and those that have a speaking line in the add are so phony in the way the speak, and some Co.'s explain the entire procedure with doctors in the ads., and the doctor speaks like he is talking to a fn 2nd grader, I guess it just has a fake and phoniness about them. Instead of being classy, professional, or real the image they create is awful IMO. It makes it seem like HT's are for losers looking for a new image when to me it not that at all.

Is there anyone else that feels the same?

I do feel American culture looks at HT's different than other procedures, but why?

You don't see mainstream advertising in to many cosmetic industries. For example I have never seen or heard a commercial for nose jobs, or breast implants or face lifts in my area.

Is a hair transplant is to men as breast implants are to a women? no? or am I missing something.

I have never spoken badly of a women with implants, I have dated a couple and never had a problem with it at all. I somewhat like the perfection that comes with it.

Is it the same as a man with HT? I say no way, men try to hide the fact and don't want people to find out and feel it is a success if other don't know.

People get their teeth fixed and whitened all the time, women put make up on everyday wearing clothes that pulls their ass up stomach in, wear heels and colors that that projects an illusion.

DO people look at a HT as any different? If so why ?

In my opinion, the infomercials are driven by the marketing-machine hair transplant clinics, like Bosley, whose well-documented behavior is to prey on naive and vulnerable and "just-starting-out" hair loss sufferers. If they can convince you that an HT is your pathway to the light at the end of the hairloss tunnel, then they not only got your cash, but they've reeled you into an abyss, where they can potentially squeeze more money out of you as time (and your hairloss) progresses, because treating one's hairloss is a lifelong committment. These horseshit infomercials intentionally under-portray the complexity and intricacy of hair transplant surgery -- going so far as to equate it to teeth whitening!! -- and over-promise the results. I understand that companies like Bosley have made strides towards good hair transplant results and happy patients since their beginnings, but one can only form his opinion thru the eyeglasses of his own experience, and unfortunately for me, my experience with Bosley was awful. I had plenty of hair at the time; I was just in a state of panic as I was only 27. It was the year 2000, and Propecia had been on the market for years, with well-known results. But instead of directing me towards this FDA-approved medication, they happily and readily guided me into their surgical chair, and almost $7000 later, I looked like shit.

Ugh. I've gona off in a rant about Bosley. Sorry, I just don't like them or what they stand for. I mean, if you look up Doctor Bosley's name in the California Medical Board website, his license has been suspended in many, many states. Why in the hell would ANYONE let an invasive surgical procedure be performed on them by an institution that bears the name of a heavily reprimanded "doctor"?

Anyway, HTs have a bad rap, and alot of this bad rap was created by the national chain clinics that saturate the market with their glossy bullshit infomercials. Somewhere along the evolutionary way, talking about hairloss and treating hairloss became taboo. The marketing minds behind the infomercials know this, and cater to it. The financial gain is so easy to acquire and ripe-for-the-taking that the clinics behind the informercials see prospective patients as fat profit-centers, rather than human beings with a genetic disease that they can help. And when the financial gain to be had is considered more important than the patient, then the patient's well-being is put at risk; instead of changing their life in a positive way, they practically ruin it, or do ruin it. Hence the HT horror stories that we hear all of the time. The truth is HTs shouldn't have a bad rap, but, as Spencer says, the industry, in part, did it to itself.

That's why organizations like the IAHRS are so precious. They highlight the genuine, real, care-for-the-patient doctors whose own truthful marketing tactics get dwarfed by the money-hungry a-hole national chains.

Is it obvious I don't like the infomercials?

There's plenty more I can say, too. But I'll end my frustrations here, for now.

TeeJay

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is amazing that there are still so many people who see these infomercials and go there and sign up for surgery. However, more and more people are researching now on the internet. It is obvious that the overall numbers they are getting is decreasing. They would not be shutting down multiple locations like they are currently doing if the numbers were still there.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

playsound Selling The Dream | Audio Response

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 4000 View Post
    I was looking for a thread on this topic but didn't find anything, sorry if there is a existing thread on this topic

I find the infomercials that run by various companies an embarrassment for the HT industry.

My point is that the hairloss industry you see them all the time Hairclub and Bosely in my area are on all the time. They are so cheesy / poorly done and embarrassing on a certain level. They make it seem like these people have found new life and those that have a speaking line in the add are so phony in the way the speak, and some Co.'s explain the entire procedure with doctors in the ads., and the doctor speaks like he is talking to a fn 2nd grader, I guess it just has a fake and phoniness about them. Instead of being classy, professional, or real the image they create is awful IMO. It makes it seem like HT's are for losers looking for a new image when to me it not that at all.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Default Hell Yeah!

Great points raised here - and again great voice feature Spencer.

Spencer touched on something at the end there which i feel it an important part - "Paying it forward" (Great film by the way)

I fell at the hands of no other than the dreaded Bosley 4 times - (yes - 4) and it was all because of the fantastic infomercial in the middle of the super bowl. It hit me right where they intended - preyed on my vulnerability like a charm - I was sold! Young, dumb and full of desperation.

The story played out and I ended up needing a repair session and fortunately found the forums and researched deeper and luckily had my situation repaired. Not everyone is so fortunate though - and compared to some of the many guys here i the UK i have met over the years my repair job was a little picnic compared to some very unfortunate guys who fallen at the hands of the evil industry.

I took it upon myself due to the fact i never had anyone to speak to or meet who had real results and experience to try pay it forward and help others not make the same mistakes i made regardless of the clinic they opt to go for through there own research and i feel its vital we ALL pay it forward. Its remarkable know how many people the Internet has saved but this butchery is still going down even thoughthe internet is as powerful as it is today - There are still MANY guys falling through the net and NOT getting accurate info and making knee jerk reactions to these adverts on TV and in Glossy magazines. This is what has personally driven me to continue to try help and give accurate advice as i was that guy sat there very isolated, insecure and alone regarding my serious issues with hair loss and i bought that Advert hook line and sinker. I remember it only too well.

We need to continue to do our very best to spread the word and educate as many as we can with info that enables perspective patients to make MUCH more informed decisions about their hairloss situations and the potential pitfalls of surgery if not researched correctly. There are many good surgeons out there now doing fantastic work and changing lives for the better - These Dr's need to be recognised and given the kudos they deserve and forums such as this are a great place for us to share this info. Thank G-D for the Internet is all I can say! Spreading the word is what we need to do regardless of the clinic patients go to - ALL perspective patients need to be made aware of Recommended clinics to allow they to make informed decisions.I speak to so many repair guys all the time and their stories are all very sad - These guys never found the net and forums like this - These patients have now limitations set against them due to poor previous surgery and this is so very sad as there is then only so much well respected surgeons can do to help them - no matter how good the surgeon is or how many great results he/she has. We need to continue to provide info and make it readily available and pay it forward so that the number of "repair" patients falls dramatically so that everyone is given the best possible options to the best result they can achieve.

Regards
    Spex

P.s wish i had a voice feature, my fingers are hurting now.)
    Last edited by Spex; 10-14-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Spencer thanks for reading the thread and my post, I'm probably late to the party, but I have been seeing more of those infomercials lately and they bugged the hell out of me and I wanted to give my .02 cent.

I could go on for days about this issue, but I'll spare everyone.

The one thing that could really help all the legit cosmetic fields would be their most prominent customer, wealth and successful people coming clean and talking about it. That to me would have the great impact. Pro Athletes, entertainers and such, but they cant take the risk and screw with their image.

We know that they all get work done, skin, face, nose, ears, hair, teeth, implants and supplements for their body at some point to stay at the top of their game looks wise.

I pay money to go to the gym, over $8,400 in my lifetime, I pay extra money for better quality food for my body to stay in shape. I had braces as a teenager, and bonding when my teeth were chipped playing sports. I wear contact lenses because it looks better for me than glasses.

I would be a total hypocrite if I passed judgement on someone with a HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Great points raised here - and again great voice feature Spencer.

Spencer touched on something at the end there which i feel it an important part - "Paying it forward" (Great film by the way)

I fell at the hands of no other than the dreaded Bosley 4 times - (yes - 4) and it was all because of the fantastic infomercial in the middle of the super bowl. It hit me right where they intended - preyed on my vulnerability like a charm - I was sold! Young, dumb and full of desperation.

The story played out and I ended up needing a repair session and fortunately found the forums and researched deeper and luckily had my situation repaired. Not everyone is so fortunate though - and compared to some of the many guys here i the UK i have met over the years my repair job was a little picnic compared to some very unfortunate guys who fallen at the hands of the evil industry.

I took it upon myself due to the fact i never had anyone to speak to or meet who had real results and experience to try pay it forward and help others not make the same mistakes i made regardless of the clinic they opt to go for through there own research and i feel its vital we ALL pay it forward. Its remarkable know how many people the Internet has saved but this butchery is still going down even thoughthe internet is as powerful as it is today - There are still MANY guys falling through the net and NOT getting accurate info and making knee jerk reactions to these adverts on TV and in Glossy magazines. This is what has personally driven me to continue to try help and give accurate advice as i was that guy sat there very isolated, insecure and alone regarding my serious issues with hair loss and i bought that Advert hook line and sinker. I remember it only too well.

We need to continue to do our very best to spread the word and educate as many as we can with info that enables perspective patients to make MUCH more informed decisions about their hairloss situations and the potential pitfalls of surgery if not researched correctly. There are many good surgeons out there now doing fantastic work and changing lives for the better - These Dr's need to be recognised and given the kudos they deserve and forums such as this are a great place for us to share this info. Thank G-D for the Internet is all I can say! Spreading the word is what we need to do regardless of the clinic patients go to - ALL perspective patients need to be made aware of Recommended clinics to allow they to make informed decisions.I speak to so many repair guys all the time and their stories are all very sad - These guys never found the net and forums like this - These patients have now limitations set against them due to poor previous surgery and this is so very sad as there is then only so much well respected surgeons can do to help them - no matter how good the surgeon is or how many great results he/she has. We need to continue to provide info and make it readily available and pay it forward so that the number of "repair" patients falls dramatically so that everyone is given the best possible options to the best result they can achieve.

Regards
    Spex

P.s wish i had a voice feature, my fingers are hurting now.)
    thanks for sharing your story Spex and good points and to yo as well TJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It is amazing that there are still so many people who see these infomercials and go there and sign up for surgery. However, more and more people are researching now on the internet. It is obvious that the overall numbers they are getting is decreasing. They would not be shutting down multiple locations like they are currently doing if the numbers were still there.
    I just think that there should be a classy and professional way to address this issue and the trying to persuade people to do something without being able to deliver the goods is nothing less than criminal. Doesn't matter if its money or emotions its wrong across the board.

The best docs have bad days and bad results (its happens) and most only cherry pick the results that they are proud of, to me that also aides to this problem.

Honesty - good docs will let their people know that this is what I can do, and this is what happens when things don't work and this is why. X% of my patients have these results since using this method and I have done decent work with patients that have the same characteristic as you....here are the photos and contacts if you would like. Something along those lines would be what I mean when I say honesty.

So I guess this point across the entire spectrum of docs and facilities as well.

Not to rush someone to the chair and the doc should give them a breakdown of the honest numbers based on like cases, so the patient has all the information they need to put their emotions on the line as well as their money.

Thanks Dr. Charles for the input

Wink

So nice to see these big chains shutting down!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin