+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi, I was searching the web when I came across your story. I know that it is harsh to lose your hair. I started losing my hair at 18. I had my first transplant at 21, my second at 22 my third at 23, my fourth at 26, my fifth at 30 and my sixth at 35. The first three doctors I went to in the late 1990s. I had 600 -700 grafts placed into my hairline. This small transplant didn't do anything to lessen my hair loss. When I questioned the Doctor about it he said well, we have made it so you look the same and therefore you don't look like you have lost anymore hair than you already have. As an adult I think to myself what kind of a B.S. scam was that? If I wanted to look exactly the same why would I have paid thousands to do so? Wouldn't I have just done nothing instead? I opted not to go back for another "touch up" as all of these places seem to call in. My second and third transplants I had one mega session there in which I suppose to have received 2,500 grafts. A year later when all of the grafts are suppose to have grown out I still didn't see much of a difference. So, I opted for one more transplant just to finish my hairline. That way at least I could have a normal hairline and perhaps wear a wig behind it. Well, my next transplant of 800 grafts into my hairline again didn't yield the hairline that I was told that I would get. Frustrated about the minimal results that these "doctors" were able to provide I gave up for a few years. In the early 2000s there were commercials all over the television. So, I gave them a shot. I had 2,500 grafts placed over my entire head and once again when the grafts all grew out I still looked like a guy who's hair was thinning all over. My hairline was sparse and lacked any kind of density and I had almost no hair on the top of my head. Please take into account that this was my FOURTH hair transplant and these "doctors" were still in no way shape or form providing me with the results that they promised. Frustrated with having so many procedures, spending massive amounts of money and the overall shadiness of the Hair Transplant field I gave up for a few years. My hair loss still bothered me and because of the scars on the back of my head and the small indents on the top of my head that were from all of my transplants shaving my head was not an option. So, a few years later I went online (by this time the internet had blown up and forums like these were common) I found doctor who has an office close by who I researched and seemed to offer the help that I needed. I had 650 grafts dense packed into my hairline. Yeah, I looked a little better, but my hair line was still pluggy and sparse and this guy (once again- like all the others) had promised me a finished hairline and said that I would get my life back. Well, after the grafts had all grown out and my hairline still looked odd and nothing like the photos that he advertised I questioned him. He acted shocked and said that I had an enviable hair line. I said, and this is a direct quote "Enviable hair line? Yeah, maybe compared to Hulk Hogan." There was an awkward silence and then I left. I had my final hair transplant a few years ago when I was 35. Now, I thoroughly researched this doctor. He seemed to be doing amazing things with not only hair transplants, but body hair transplants (taking hair off of your chest or legs and placing it on your head) as well. I sent him my pictures and he said I was definite candidate for the procedure and assured me that after this procedure that my hairline would be complete. Take into account that by this point I had long given up on a fully restored head of hair. I just wanted my hairline finished so I could wear a hair piece behind it. Well, once again I was swindled. This time however it cost me more than any of the other doctors. I spent 14,000 on that last operation and while there is improvement I still look like a guy who is losing his hair and is afraid to shave his head because he is hanging onto what was. And believe me there is nothing more unattractive than looking at yourself with thinning hair. It's 100 times worse than shaving your head! The reason I am telling you this is because I don't want you to make the same mistakes that I did. I know it is VERY harsh losing your hair at such a young age (Aside from my brother dying losing my hair and the hair transplant mess that I have endured has been the most traumatic experience of my life) So, my advice to you is to right now start shaving your head. In a few months you will be use to it And while your hair loss may always bother you you will get use to it at some point. I seriously wouldn't wish my hair transplant nightmare on anyone. Also there are groundbreaking things going on with genetic research and hair restoration. Just go to Youtube and type in cure for baldness. There is no way that we are 80 years (as one poster wrote) away from a cure. We are probably anywhere between 3 to 10 years or maybe even 3 to 5 years away. I should also add that I know three other people who have had hair transplants and all of them have had lackluster results. To be honest I don't know anyone who has had success with a transplant. At least not the success that these "doctors' say that they can achieve. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that most of the people who are pushing the hair transplant agenda on this site and sites like it are either hair transplant doctors or working for hair transplant doctors. I don't know if my post will help you, but I hope it will. I know how at 16 you are very young and insecure enough as it is and this only makes it worse, but I am imploring you not to rush into a hair transplant. Just cut it all off and in time you will grow use to it. I know it's had to admit that beauty and self confidence are on the inside, but they truly are it is just a shame that it takes all of us so long to see what we are worth and something like hair loss can make us see it even less.
    Last edited by Winston; 05-22-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

I'm sorry to hear about your hair transplant problems. But bear in mind, from when you started your hair transplant procedures to now, I believe we are more advanced in procedures and after care. And I'm sorry but I can't start shaving my head now for various reasons. 1.) I want to fight my hairloss 2.) I believe there is still a lot of hair that I can save 3.) You mentioned BHT and modern hair transplants, which I am building upto not now, but in the future, and it additionally helps that I have a lot of body hair that can be used as a donor source 4.) I might be repeating myself, but my hair looks fine 99% of the time, I am not sure if you saw the updated photos, but I never look like I did in the first picture, I usually look like the second updated picture 5.) Women are more likely to be interested in men with hair, and since I'm not too aesthethically or height pleasing, I need my hair atm 6.) My school does not permit haircuts lower than a 2, and I would be punished for it, because they know that I usually go to school with normal looking hair 7.) I really don't want to shave my head, because I love styling my hair, and love having hair, in fact a few weeks ago I styled it and people said I looked like Elvis. So in conclusion, I appreciate your advice about hair transplantation, but I could never live bald atm, and as I believe Fred said "it is always better to have a bit of hair than completely bald". So I don't really have a reason to shave my head at the moment, because I really don't want to and my hair looks fine except for when pulled back

I am also very sorry to hear about your brother's death, many condolences. However I'm sorry but with the way I look at the moment, I enjoy styling my hair as hair loss is not noticeable. And I can guarantee you that I will spend at least a year researching the best doctors and methods when I get a hair transplant, which like I say will not be now, but probably around mid/late 20s, unless I lose a significant amount before then.

Not sure whether this will help but my hairloss was identical to yours. Exact same pattern. In my situation I have no family members with any hairloss. Both grandfathers had a full head of hair at 80.

That being said, I reached the exact level you are now at 17 [It's an A pattern of hairloss]. In my case however it didn't get much worse by age 27. From my perspective that is due to the fact that whilst the hairloss looks aggressive & severe, it is actually only a small area.

At the age of 25 I got a transplant & essentially created the illusion of a full head of hair. Early this year my hairloss finally hit the crown. Since Feb I've been on propecia & minox, which has reversed the crown loss.

I guess one positive is that the A variant of hairloss potentially only goes as far as a norwood 5 in a lot of cases.

This is me at 17.

You're right I think we are both identical in terms of hairloss there. I'm not sure where my hair loss would head in terms of Nw5a or Nw7, because my father is Nw7 but lost it all through TE and stress, literally down the sink. I would like it to be a 5a and hopefully I can be on the same route as you are. But do I really look more like an a pattern or just nw7?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseHeisenberg47 View Post
    You're right I think we are both identical in terms of hairloss there. I'm not sure where my hair loss would head in terms of Nw5a or Nw7, because my father is Nw7 but lost it all through TE and stress, literally down the sink. I would like it to be a 5a and hopefully I can be on the same route as you are. But do I really look more like an a pattern or just nw7?
    What I've learn't from the HT doctors I've spoken to, an A pattern can still become a Norwood 6 but it isn't common. A Norwood 7 even less so.

It is definitely an A Pattern because it is only frontal loss. What you will notice next is a thin strip of hairloss down the middle & then the crown.

Minoxidil & Propecia did zero for my front but massively improved my mid scalp & crown. I'd wait until 20+ for that though.

Regarding family, it can have it's links but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like I said, out of my very large family, including grandfathers & even great grandfathers, I am the only one to bald.

Your pattern is very distinct atm.

well you've got a lot going for you in the sense that you'll be able to catch your loss VERY early once you start propecia at 18. generally the earlier you catch it the better the results. i see a lot of kids regrowing basically all of their hair if they start propecia/rogaine/nizoral at 18-21.

also you'll probably have better treatments available before you're 25 which is still damn young, so the majority of your life will most likely be spent with a good head of hair. that being said, a full-blown cure for male pattern baldness is NOWHERE near being finished in the next 5 years, and there is, to my knowledge, NO superior treatment in the clinical pipeline that we can guarantee will come out in the next 5 years. so it's of absolute importance that you get on the fin/rogaine/nizoral combination basically the day you hit 18.

you look fine with your hairline covered so just hang on a couple years then hop on those meds immediately. give things a year after that before you discontinue anything or change your regimen.

i fully believe you have a better chance than most on here to keep and regrow a lot of hair.

good luck,
    con

Thank you very much everyone. It means a lot. Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but what's meant by a distinct pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseHeisenberg47 View Post
    Thank you very much everyone. It means a lot. Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but what's meant by a distinct pattern?
    It just means your current pattern is clear. Sometimes people have diffuse thinning, TE etc but you fit into the norwood scale.

You can see here how your 'a' pattern will progress. I was at 4a [Same as yourself]. As you can see it's sometimes the best & worst type of hairloss to have. You haven't actually lost that much, but the location makes it appear far worse. - Slowly you will now move towards 5a. You've got some good options in the future though.

Hi! I am a fellow young hairloss dude, started at 18 and got crazy when I was 19-20 and decided to do something about, you can see picture of my progress with Propecia and Minoxidil on this thread:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14789

Works great for me, so definitely try it out