My Minoxidil experience and Liquid vs. Foam - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default My Minoxidil experience and Liquid vs. Foam

I've used Minoxidil liquid for 8-10 years. I started because my older brothers had a lot of hair loss and they suggested I act before I lost it. I've had great luck with liquid Minox and had no side effects. I mainly use it once a day (in the morning) but have gone several days with out using it at all. I also use Propecia (for several years the generic Finistiride). I still have a full head of hair - although the woman who has cut my hair for over 10 years tells me that it is a little thinner. But ZERO complaints! I may have no need for the products but since I still have my hair I'm not changing course.

In 2012 my local Costco stopped selling the liquid Minox. I had read about issues with the foam, liked how the liquid was easier to apply to the scalp and therefore contacted Corporate Costco to find a store that still sold the Kirkland liquid version (5%). They connected me with a store in New Jersey and I bought 5 or 6 boxes because they had to ship by FedEx (since it was categorized as hazmat --- if you can believe it) at a ridiculous cost of $56 for S&H.

My liquid supply is about to run out so I'm asking:
    - Do others strictly use the liquid form?
    - Have those that switched to foam seen any negatives?
    - Are there other sources of Liquid Minox so I don't have to pay $60 for shipping even if the NJ Costco still sells it?

Thanks!

Good questions, I would like to know as well. I've only used the foam and I don't really like it, plus it hasn't really given me any regrowth at all. But I'm scared to drop it encase it is helping to maintain a little. Is the liquid easy to apply? Does it leave your hair greasy and wet looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bald View Post
    Good questions, I would like to know as well. I've only used the foam and I don't really like it, plus it hasn't really given me any regrowth at all. But I'm scared to drop it encase it is helping to maintain a little. Is the liquid easy to apply? Does it leave your hair greasy and wet looking?
    Liquid is so easy because they give you an eye dropper that easily lets you apply the Minox directly on your scalp - bypassing most of your hair. Takes about 15 seconds to spread liquid on 90% of your scalp on the top of my head. I don't focus on the back or sides of my head because I've never thought I had to but maybe I should. I apply it every time I pop out of the shower in the morning and probably apply a second treatment at night every 7 or 10 days. Instructions say twice a day but I rarely think about the second treatment - especially after the first couple of years. If my primary focus was restoring - instead of keeping hair - I might be more diligent about the 2nd treatment.

Frankly, I think they've switched to the foam because customers go through the product much faster = more profits. I've read some tips from Forum poster "Tracy" about running your hands under cold water to help prevent the foam from heating up to quickly and not making it to your scalp. I just thought I'd waste most of the foam on the hair instead of getting it to the scalp.

Thoughts from other liquid users?

Are there other liquid Minoxidil suppliers than Kirkland (Costco)?

Have you had much regrowth/success with the liquid? Maybe I should switch.

Isn't kirkland costco's house brand. I use it and it is cheap ($50 on amazon). I have seen generic minox at places like Target and Walmart. I think it's all pretty much the same stuff.

I stopped using both. I started to use a minoxidil spray. It is by Regenepure.

I would say do whatever you can to stick to the liquid. I have gotten good results with the liquid, but the few months I used the foam gave me the worse sheds I have ever seen. My hair looked really thin when using the foam. I have been using liquid minoxidil for over 2 years now and would never use foam ever again. I have read that the liquid minoxidil is also able to penetrate the scalp much better than the foam as well, but don't know if that is 100% true. I currently order my kirkland minoxidil on ebay and that has been fine for me.

Doctor Representative

Sometimes I switch between foam and liquid with no problems. If I run out of foam and can't make it to costco before they close, I'll go to target and get the cheap liquid and use that until it runs out. I have not noticed any differences or sheds as a result.

The foam is a little harder to measure and seems to run out more quickly for me. But it is easier and less messy to apply.
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012