+ Reply to Thread

Question Am I balding? Pics/ info inside

I am 19, soon turning 20. Hair never used to cross my mind, I would just get a haircut once in a while and let it sit there. My hair has always been very thick, every single time I have gotten a haircut they comment on this. Once the lady even said "Wow such thick hair, you wont have to worry about going bald" . But lately I've been looking into hair a lot more (sounds weird) and it seems like I'm losing mine. My hairline has always been high though so I'm not sure if I am being super paranoid or not.

Family balding: My dad is 54 and still has a full head of hair. My dad has 3 brothers, 2 of whom have plenty of hair similar to my father, and 1 who is bald. My mom has no brothers. My mother's father is 80 and obviously doesn't have all of his hair, but he still has enough for a nice old guy comb over that looks good

This first one is my current hair http://imgur.com/9HPAPus
    This one is the best pictures I could find from earlier years that show as much of my hairline as possible. The ones in the bottom right are from last summer when I just turned 19 http://imgur.com/yqaligw

What do you guys think? Am i balding?

Tough to say, it definately could be the beginning of the end for you. However it could just be a mature hairline coming in.

If I were you monitor your temples/that area for a while. Is it getting thinner than other parts of your hair? Try pulling in that area do you get more hair when you pull from their compared to the non-mpb areas? The obvious thinning in the temples + pulling out a shit ton of hair compared to my non-mpb areas is what told me I had MPB at the ripe age of 17!

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    Tough to say, it definately could be the beginning of the end for you. However it could just be a mature hairline coming in.

If I were you monitor your temples/that area for a while. Is it getting thinner than other parts of your hair? Try pulling in that area do you get more hair when you pull from their compared to the non-mpb areas? The obvious thinning in the temples + pulling out a shit ton of hair compared to my non-mpb areas is what told me I had MPB at the ripe age of 17!
    hmm ok

and i dont get hair coming out when i pull from any region of my head

"Beginning of the end" - give me a break. You have a great head of hair. It is completely normal for your hairline to change a bit around your age, but this does not mean you are going to go bald. If you are really concerned, go see a doctor who can do a miniaturization study on you. If you have early loss, there are some very effective treatments and you're catching it very early. If not, you can move on. Either way, don't worry too much as your hair looks very good.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post

Exactly! You're a young man and your body is changing and a mature hairline is very common at your age! I'm on the same boat man 17 with a hairline very similar to yours, it may get worse it may not! You'll find that your friends with the low-straight hairlines may go bald and you may be sitting in your old age with a full set if hair! That's the thing about MPB, it's so common but highly unpredictable the only way to have an idea of the fate of your hair is your male relatives on BOTH sides! Keep an eye on it for now you've still got time to decide if you're a good candidate for meds, it's not like your gona lose it all tomorrow and be thankful you've spotted it earlier!