+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How bad is it? Adult hairline or balding?

I'm 17 years old and have been worried about losing my hair since I was 13 after someone pointed it out that I was "baldy at the sides" I've always had an very high m-shaped hairline since I can remember, it has always restricted my hairstyling options (but I can manage it better now) my hairline over the past few years had receded very slightly at the temples making my hairline even more pronounced. It hasn't receded anymore now and seems to have stopped. My dad's hair is exactly like mines (hairline, colour, thickness) and has been for as far as I can remember. Baldness doesn't run on either side if my family the worst case is my uncle (age 50) who is a Nw2-3 with naturally thin hair but he still looks good. I'm gona wait until I'm 18 and see if things get worse before I jump onto meds as they might not be necessary atm. Any advice would be much appreciated and am I making the right choice with regards to Meds?

Here's the images : https://imageshack.com/i/n77scej

Quote Originally Posted by Receedo View Post
    I'm 17 years old and have been worried about losing my hair since I was 13 after someone pointed it out that I was "baldy at the sides" I've always had an very high m-shaped hairline since I can remember, it has always restricted my hairstyling options (but I can manage it better now) my hairline over the past few years had receded very slightly at the temples making my hairline even more pronounced. It hasn't receded anymore now and seems to have stopped. My dad's hair is exactly like mines (hairline, colour, thickness) and has been for as far as I can remember. Baldness doesn't run on either side if my family the worst case is my uncle (age 50) who is a Nw2-3 with naturally thin hair but he still looks good. I'm gona wait until I'm 18 and see if things get worse before I jump onto meds as they might not be necessary atm. Any advice would be much appreciated and am I making the right choice with regards to Meds?

Here's the images : https://imageshack.com/i/n77scej
    You are suffering from male pattern baldness. If you want a shot at stopping it, consider trying finasteride. Go to your doctor or dermatologist!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    You are suffering from male pattern baldness. If you want a shot at stopping it, consider trying finasteride. Go to your doctor or dermatologist!
    Thank you, but my hairline hasn't changed for 1.5 years though, I keep mesurements of the temples (remeasure every 3 months), photos of my hairline, there's been no change and my hairline is pretty solid so that gives me the idea that my hairline might have just matured (like a lot of young men) and may not get worse until I'm older. But if I do notice any changes I will go straight onto meds haha! And yes I've been to my doctor and he said to hold of meds ATM as I might not need them, but if things get worse (which they haven't yet) then look into them.

Tru man that's what my hl looked like at one point then it progressed so just keep an eye on it...if I see even the slightest amount of progression or thinning don't waste time on startin meds because catchin it before it gets bad is the #1 most important thing to do to put the odds in your favor

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Tru man that's what my hl looked like at one point then it progressed so just keep an eye on it...if I see even the slightest amount of progression or thinning don't waste time on startin meds because catchin it before it gets bad is the #1 most important thing to do to put the odds in your favor
    Do you think my hairline looks bad? This sort of hairline does run in the family though but I know it doesn't mean that I won't go bald, but it's an indicator of what may be in store for me (hopefully haha) I guess I'm somewhere around Nw2 right? I know it may look worse but my childhood hairline started about 6cm in the middle and 7cm at the sides (temples) and once got told I had a forehead like a watermelon haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Receedo View Post
    Do you think my hairline looks bad? This sort of hairline does run in the family though but I know it doesn't mean that I won't go bald, but it's an indicator of what may be in store for me (hopefully haha) I guess I'm somewhere around Nw2 right? I know it may look worse but my childhood hairline started about 6cm in the middle and 7cm at the sides (temples) and once got told I had a forehead like a watermelon haha!
    Your hair doesn't look bad at all to me. It could stay that way for years before it progresses, just no way to be sure other than pics. Over time you should know for sure. good luck.

Your hairline is dented. That's the bad news. But your hair is thick. That's the good news. There is no way to predict whether you will lose more hair. Make sure to live a super healthy, stress-free lifestyle and you will minimize any future loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Age30 NW3 View Post
    Your hairline is dented. That's the bad news. But your hair is thick. That's the good news. There is no way to predict whether you will lose more hair. Make sure to live a super healthy, stress-free lifestyle and you will minimize any future loss.
    Yeah my hair dresser said that haha, she told me that I didn't appear to have a progressive thinning pattern and said lots of guys as they reach the end of puberty recede at the temples. She also has to thin my hair out when I get it cut haha 😜 Tbh I think I'm overacting I know guys who are like nw3-4s at my age and I'm complaining about what may be my adult hairline, but I think most young guys would worry, god Mark Wright and Chris Evans (actor) think they're going bald 😒

At this point I think you have a good plan. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then decide whether you want to try meds. I wouldn't panic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    At this point I think you have a good plan. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then decide whether you want to try meds. I wouldn't panic at this point.
    Nah I'm not really, N3/4+ baldness doesn't run in the family but who knows with my luck haha! But I'll never go bald young haha, I just wouldn't let myself, I'd go straight onto treatments haha. But my hair's super thick the now so I'll just wait and see how things go. Thanks for all the advice everyone!