+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default am i starting to go bald?

Hey there, I'm a 22 yr old Caucasian male.

So within the last 4 or 5 months my hair has been getting thinner on top, the crown being the worst at the moment. My hair was super thick like one of my sisters, but it's slowly getting worse. As for a bit of a back story, I have lost a few relatives in the last couple years my dad being one. I've had major depression during that whole time for obvious reasons, I started on an SSRIs antidepressant (Cymbalta) about a year ago. I'm now off them to start on an OCD medication (Clomipramine) due to obsession with losing my hair which I started only a month or so ago. my overall diet and lifestyle has been bad since my dad and nanna passed away, I don't eat well two meals or so a day and I don't get much sleep at all (5-6 hrs a night) due to my depression and anxiety. I don't drink much alcohol nor do I smoke. Rarely exercise apart from when I'm working filling shelves at work. I'm a rather hairy person, legs, arms, chest and recently some back hair. My dad and his brothers were and are exactly the same, my dad passed away with a decent head of hair. No real balding in our family on both sides only some minor thinning but not til mid to late 50s+. I've had bloods done, for a while there I had low thyroid function which was a probable cause for some hair loss but the levels went back to within normal. I've been to a dermatologist a couple times and he's not sure whether it's telogen effluvium or mpb.

Tomorrow when I'm at my computer I'll add some photos to go with this post. I'd just like to know what you guys think so far,

Thanks!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Please' !! I'm glad you came to US! Stay strong bro. We will help you as best we can with nothing but positive advice . Cheers

Post pics and we will be able to assess your situation. Most likely if you think you are balding, you are. At 22/23 I thought I was balding, and was right.

Unhappy

Hmm it's weird coz baldness doesn't run in either side of the families :/ my dad and his brothers are just as hairy as me and they didn't start thinning until their late 50s.

Here are some recent pics.....Keep in mind ive always had a decent forehead on me, got paid out for it in school :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crown wet out of shower.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	26125   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair dry.jpg

Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	26126   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair styled (2).jpg

Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	26127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0212_2.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	26128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0217_1.jpg

Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	26129   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair styled (3).jpg

Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	26130   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair styled.jpg

Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	26131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0219_1.jpg

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	26132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0221_BURST018_1.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	26133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0220_BURST002.jpg

Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	26134  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0231_BURST020.jpg

Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	26135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0237_BURST005.jpg

Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	26136   Click image for larger version

Name:	right temple dry.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	26137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0272_BURST016_1.jpg

Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	26138   Click image for larger version

Name:	left temple dry (2).jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	26139   Click image for larger version

Name:	left temple dry.jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	26140  

Imo you have a very decent head of hair and it's hard to tell if you started loosing your hair simply by looking at your pictures

Are you seeing a noticeable increase in hair after you shower or in your pillow every morning?

Try not to become obsessed about it and remember that if in fact you started loosing your hair there are a couple of treatments out there that can help, none of them extremely efficient but for sure will help

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseDontGo View Post
    Hey there, I'm a 22 yr old Caucasian male.

So within the last 4 or 5 months my hair has been getting thinner on top, the crown being the worst at the moment. My hair was super thick like one of my sisters, but it's slowly getting worse. As for a bit of a back story, I have lost a few relatives in the last couple years my dad being one. I've had major depression during that whole time for obvious reasons, I started on an SSRIs antidepressant (Cymbalta) about a year ago. I'm now off them to start on an OCD medication (Clomipramine) due to obsession with losing my hair which I started only a month or so ago. my overall diet and lifestyle has been bad since my dad and nanna passed away, I don't eat well two meals or so a day and I don't get much sleep at all (5-6 hrs a night) due to my depression and anxiety. I don't drink much alcohol nor do I smoke. Rarely exercise apart from when I'm working filling shelves at work. I'm a rather hairy person, legs, arms, chest and recently some back hair. My dad and his brothers were and are exactly the same, my dad passed away with a decent head of hair. No real balding in our family on both sides only some minor thinning but not til mid to late 50s+. I've had bloods done, for a while there I had low thyroid function which was a probable cause for some hair loss but the levels went back to within normal. I've been to a dermatologist a couple times and he's not sure whether it's telogen effluvium or mpb.

Thanks!
    Sorry to hear about your father and "nanna" passing away. Certainly a source of depression and stress.

Fluoride was used in the past to treat hyperthyroidism and it was frequently used at levels below the current "optimal" intake of 1mg per day. Fluoride is able to mimic the action of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

Researcher Andreas Schuld has found that excess fluoride correlates with other thyroid-related issues such as iodine deficiency. When there's an excess of fluoride in the body it can interfere with the function of the thyroid gland.

You may want to avoid drinking too much tap water if your supply of city water contains added Fluoride.

Article: Your hair is thinning or falling out:
    Dry, brittle hair that breaks or falls out can be a sign of hypothyroidism. Too little thyroid hormone disrupts your hair growth cycle and puts too many follicles into "resting" mode, resulting in hair loss—sometimes all over your body including at the outside of your eyebrows.

"Lots of my patients come in and tell me that their hairdresser sent them," says Dr. Miller. "They'll say, 'My hair stylist said I'm losing my hair and I needed to go ask my doctor about my thyroid.' The hair salons are more aware of thyroid problems than some doctors!"

An overactive thyroid can also do a number on your hair. Hair issues due to hyperthyroidism typically show up as thinning hair just on your head.

Also consider that photos taken under certain lighting can dramatically exaggerate slight thinning. Your hair looks very good in the photos though and your family history is certainly in your favor.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 05-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.

photos posted

Heading back to the Doctors tomorrow for some blood tests to see my thyroid function etc etc then a few days later I'm heading back to the Dermatologist after seeing him 3 months ago :S

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseDontGo View Post
    Heading back to the Doctors tomorrow for some blood tests to see my thyroid function etc etc then a few days later I'm heading back to the Dermatologist after seeing him 3 months ago :S
    Your poster handle reminds me of an old blues song by Lightnin' Hopkins.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck