+ Reply to Thread

Default Options? what can help me?

Hey guys.

I have been lurking these forums for a long time now. I first came on about 4 years ago when i had really minor thinning. At this point i thought it was the end of the world. I would give anything to go back to that haha. Anyway, i saw lots of articles saying 'in 2-5 years there will be a cure or better options'. I left happily, i didn't know much about balding and believed if a cure was that close it wouldn't effect me.

My hair has been thinning ever since, most people probably still can't tell but it is pretty drastic to me. I have diffuse thinning so my hair is thinning at the crown and all over the middle of the scalp but my hair line is pretty intact. It is ruining my life as i never feel comfortable and wear a hat everywhere and all the time.

I came back to these forums in january of this year horrified to see that we are not really any closer to a product coming out even though so much has obviously been discovered about hair loss. Not knowing what to do i tried to follow Desmond's propecia twice a week plan. Tuesdays and Saturdays. I got sides within the first week and tried to stick it out but they got worse and so by week 3 i came off. I have only just got back to normal now after around 2/3 months off it and this is now not an option for me

My question, will minox/rogaine help my thinning hair? If i do get it does it usually cause a noticeable shed? do the sheds usually return? Are there any other options (ones without sexual side effects) ?

Really hope we find a cure for this thing soon. Amazing when you have hair it doesn't seem that important but a lack of hair is really damaging mentally. I am only 22 i wish i didn't have to worry about this. Thanks for any help

I feel bad for you man. I too also know how it feels to be thinning in your early 20's. By my mid 20's, hiding it was no longer an option and I had to buzz it. It sucks. I had the same thoughts about treatment options when I first started losing my hair. I hated losing my hair, but always took comfort in knowing that a cure was just "a few years away". I thought there would be an effective treatment before my hair loss got really bad. I was wrong. It has been 15 years since I started losing my hair and we still have the same stuff we had back then. So I would say that although things look very promising, there are absolutely no guarantees.

As far as treatment, you tried the best approved treatment and got sides. You can try dut, but since fin gave you sides, I would expect dut to do the same, but who knows. If you can get your hands on RU, then I guess that's an options also.

I would give minoxidil a shot. Not much left to try really so you might as well give it a shot. You might be a good responder so it may be worth it. Shedding depends on the person, but I would expect losing at least some hair. As far as sheds returning, I would say that they do. I don't know if after treating for a while that you will stabilize, but for me I have gone through two sheds since starting treatment.

I tried fin with not much success. Then tried minox and wow it is working so great just a month .5 in. My temples have this darker healthy hair coming in thick but short for now. Lots of thick hair sprouting in my frontal scalp.

Hey man, I'm sorry fin didn't work out well, although if you ever do want to get back to it, remember it takes time to work, it can work well by just preventing and there are also other alternatives. Mainly though, it's great to hear minox is working well for you and it's also great to hear about the thick hair sprouting in the front (particularly as the front can be the hardest to treat). In summary, congrats and keep on going.