X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cors1042
    • Apr 2014

20 years old and unsure about my hairline. Help appreciated

Hello everyone, first post here.

I'm 20 and a student, with fairly long curly hair. In the shower I've been noticing what might be an excess of hair shedding, around 30 - 40 after combing and towel drying, and checked my hairline just to see. The very front of my hairline appears to have a strange jagged shape, and while I don't think the sides of my hairline are receding, it is very hard to tell as I haven't checked my hairline regularly. Is my hairline maturing or is it perhaps something more insidious? My grandfather on my mother's side never had any serious recession, and both my uncle and father have some slight recession at 50, but neither are very noticeable.

Thank you all very much for any help, I really appreciate it. And sorry for the unattractive spots. I appear to have a breakout going.
    Attached Files
  • 35YrsAfter
    Doctor Representative
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cors1042
    Hello everyone, first post here.

I'm 20 and a student, with fairly long curly hair. In the shower I've been noticing what might be an excess of hair shedding, around 30 - 40 after combing and towel drying, and checked my hairline just to see. The very front of my hairline appears to have a strange jagged shape, and while I don't think the sides of my hairline are receding, it is very hard to tell as I haven't checked my hairline regularly. Is my hairline maturing or is it perhaps something more insidious? My grandfather on my mother's side never had any serious recession, and both my uncle and father have some slight recession at 50, but neither are very noticeable.

Thank you all very much for any help, I really appreciate it. And sorry for the unattractive spots. I appear to have a breakout going.
    Nearly every man has some recession by the time they're 20. Sounds like family history is in your favor. I doubt you have anything to worry about. Thinning or miniaturization is something to be concerned about. Can't tell if you have that from the photos but I doubt it.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• Cors1042
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
      Nearly every man has some recession by the time they're 20. Sounds like family history is in your favor. I doubt you have anything to worry about. Thinning or miniaturization is something to be concerned about. Can't tell if you have that from the photos but I doubt it.

forhair.com
      Cole Hair Transplant
      1070 Powers Place
      Phone 678-566-1011
      Thanks for the reply!

Is the amount of hair shedding normal for my hair thickness would you say? I would estimate it's about 30 - 40 once I've showered and combed, and I can usually dislodge one or two each time I run my hands through my hair.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
        Doctor Representative
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cors1042
        Thanks for the reply!

Is the amount of hair shedding normal for my hair thickness would you say? I would estimate it's about 30 - 40 once I've showered and combed, and I can usually dislodge one or two each time I run my hands through my hair.
        American Academy of Dermatology:

"It’s normal to shed between 50 and 100 hairs a day. When the body sheds significantly more hairs every day, a person has excessive hair shedding. The medical term for this condition is telogen effluvium."

forhair.com
        Cole Hair Transplant
        1070 Powers Place
        Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• Cors1042
          • Apr 2014

So I've recently been suffering some anxiety issues and am starting to think my hairline has gotten worse and that my crown is also looking somewhat strange. I apologise for bumping the thread, but I'd appreciate any help that can be given
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...