+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dutasteride Questions

Okay guys, I need some advice about making the jump up to Dutasteride. Been on Fin for 2+ years with no results, so I think it might be time to get more serious! My MPB is mainly in the crown area and gradually getting worse, regardless of my Fin usage.

So s couple of questions, if that's okay:

1. Honestly, how dangerous is Dutasteride? I know it hasn't been as thoroughly tested as Finasteride. I'm not down with taking too many risks.

2. I may want to become a father in the next few years - how is the drug going to affect this? Should I come off it at that time? Obviously, if Dut is potentially dangerous to unborn children, then **** that.

3. Are the shedding periods/side effects roughly the same as with Finasteride? Having said that, I never experienced any shedding or sides with Fin at all.

4. Avodart is really expensive! How are the cheap 5mg generic options? Are these okay?

5. How much should I be taking each day - I'm presuming 1mg, right?

Thanks so much fellas. It's comforting to have somewhere to ask these questions, it really is.

Cheers.

I have been on FIN for number of years and its mostly maintained the hair that I have. Over an year ago, in order to regrow hair I added MINOX (once daily) and .5mg Dutastride (once a week). There has been slight improvement but nothing one would even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    Okay guys, I need some advice about making the jump up to Dutasteride. Been on Fin for 2+ years with no results, so I think it might be time to get more serious! My MPB is mainly in the crown area and gradually getting worse, regardless of my Fin usage.

So s couple of questions, if that's okay:

1. Honestly, how dangerous is Dutasteride? I know it hasn't been as thoroughly tested as Finasteride. I'm not down with taking too many risks.

2. I may want to become a father in the next few years - how is the drug going to affect this? Should I come off it at that time? Obviously, if Dut is potentially dangerous to unborn children, then **** that.

3. Are the shedding periods/side effects roughly the same as with Finasteride? Having said that, I never experienced any shedding or sides with Fin at all.

4. Avodart is really expensive! How are the cheap 5mg generic options? Are these okay?

5. How much should I be taking each day - I'm presuming 1mg, right?

Thanks so much fellas. It's comforting to have somewhere to ask these questions, it really is.

Cheers.
    1. All drugs have the potential to have sides. Saying that I haven't had any sides. It has been tested and approved for BPH, and tested but not approved yet for MPB.
    2. I would not take it if you want a family soon. The risk is too high. I even stopped fin when I had my family.
    3. I never had sides with either drugs.
    4. I take the generic. 50c a day is hardly expensive. You can get avodart for a $1 a day if you wish.
    5. You take one tablet per day. 0.5mg is the dose.

Thanks that's good info - straight to point.

I forgot to mention, I'm in the UK. So no, dut is not cheap at all. My only option is ordering online from overseas. The only online pharmacy I've used before is Inhousepharmacy, but I've noticed they now require prescriptions, so that's no longer an option. Hmm...

Dutasteride should not be used if your wife if pregnant or planning to get pregnant. You should always wear a condom while taking this medication. You said a family in a few years, so you could probably take it until you have decided for sure to try for a pregnancy. Studies have been done on dutasteride proving its effectiveness for treating hair loss. Propecia's active ingredient, finasteride, has the same indication as dutasteride; treatment of BPH. In one recent study, dutasteride 0.5mg was superior to finasteride 1mg for treating hair loss.

You sound like you have aggressive hairloss like me.

Essentially fin has heavily slowed your loss but not stopped it, before fin i was shedding like crazy, i've been on it for two years now and i've thinned out a little bit but i'm largely the same. Clearly though i've gotten a little worse overall.

I have thought about getting DUT but I cant find a place to get it and I'm not sure my doctor would agree to prescribe it.

from what i've heard though it will give a slight improvement to aggressive hairloss sufferers, so it is a solid option. Problem is you may have side affects that you didnt experience on Fin, as it is a more powerful drug.

from what i've read if youre adding it to the fin routine, just use 0.5mg 1-2 times a week and you should see an improvement!

[promotional information removed]

Taking dut was one of the best decisions of my life. It does work for me unlike fin. But please take it after you have a family. It is not worth the risk. Family in number 1.
    Last edited by Winston; 05-12-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I certainly wouldn't say I have aggressive hair loss. It doesn't run in my family. It's just a slow loss. I've never had any major shedding phases and don't lose massive amounts in the shower. It's just slow and steady. I just think I might be a 'poor responder' to finasteride. I mean, it can't work for everyone, right?

As for family planning, I'd say it might be within the next 3-4 years (I'm 31). My girlfriend and I always use condoms anyway, so no worries there My question is, can I just drop the dutasteride say, 6 months before trying to conceive a baby? Would that be okay? I know it's impossible to say, but you guys are right, family always comes first over hair.

That's a neat idea about taking dut 1-2 days a week, and staying on fin for the rest. That sounds like a sensible first step, rather than switching over completely. I still have no idea where to source some dut in the UK anyway.

All good advice fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I certainly wouldn't say I have aggressive hair loss. It doesn't run in my family. It's just a slow loss. I've never had any major shedding phases and don't lose massive amounts in the shower. It's just slow and steady. I just think I might be a 'poor responder' to finasteride. I mean, it can't work for everyone, right?

As for family planning, I'd say it might be within the next 3-4 years (I'm 31). My girlfriend and I always use condoms anyway, so no worries there My question is, can I just drop the dutasteride say, 6 months before trying to conceive a baby? Would that be okay? I know it's impossible to say, but you guys are right, family always comes first over hair.

That's a neat idea about taking dut 1-2 days a week, and staying on fin for the rest. That sounds like a sensible first step, rather than switching over completely. I still have no idea where to source some dut in the UK anyway.

All good advice fellas!
    I'm also based in the UK and I'm also considering using dut a few times a week alongside fin. I've been using fin for 6 months and my hairline has taken a real battering. As for where to buy dut - I emailed support@spexhair and was told to contact Dr Steve Edgar for fin or dut in the UK. However, I dunno if this guy is legit or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    I'm also based in the UK and I'm also considering using dut a few times a week alongside fin. I've been using fin for 6 months and my hairline has taken a real battering. As for where to buy dut - I emailed support@spexhair and was told to contact Dr Steve Edgar for fin or dut in the UK. However, I dunno if this guy is legit or not.
    Are u on Minox?