+ Reply to Thread

Default Why Do People Dither and Freeze?

Why do some people do all the hard work only to dither and freeze when it comes to a hair system?

I mean there are people out there very anxious about their hair loss. Some even low or depresssed about it.

They spend hours researching, visiting forums and clinics. They ask questions but then they freeze and take no risk.

Why?

I love my hair system. Best decision I have taken about my hair loss. No contest!

I agree. I will admit that hair systems aren't for everybody, but for those who are walking around upset or depressed about there hair loss, they need to give it a try. I know most of us are bummed that we are losing our hair, but there are some guys that are really struggling. They need to get it together and get a hair system.

Not gonna lie, I am considering it.

Having said that though, I really like my hair. It may not look great, but its my hair.

Also, there is definitely a stigma attached to guys wearing hairpieces. The average person knows nothing about hair loss whatsoever, but also has a strong negative opinion about men wearing hair for no good reason whatsoever.

I am happy that you found a solution you are comfortable with. Its probably the best solution out there honestly.

The reason I asked is, I have read of posts of people taking 6-months before buying, others "thinking" about it and still others posting "that would never think of it".

I have been wearing for not as long as you as I was fortunate enough to have most of my hair well into my 30s. However, since wearing, the quality of my life has been far surperior than immediately prior to wearing; in that regard I echo your sentiments.

1. I do think there is an element of stigma or "deceit" about it for some people. You seen the media playing on stereotypes of "rugrat" stuck in the 1980s. Notwithstanding, the modern truth is far removed from this outdated image of 30 years ago. Hair systems can be very natural looking. Certainly meeting wearers is the best testimony. I too at first thought the same, but after reading about it and being brave I took that leap of faith. Male grooming has never been so popular and the whole cosmetic sector never so large. There is no shame in making an effort to look great. You only live once.

2. I agree there is a wealth of information (noise) out there and it can be daunting to make a decision. No decision seems easier than making one only to regret it. But I am the first to say I have made mistakes along the way and mis-spend, but that is part of the learning process bringing to where I am today. There is no single option or prescribed way of doing things - thats part of the beauty that each person is individual and will go about things their own way to suit their lifestyle. You will find your optimal system and modus operandi, only but trial and improvement.

3. Yes cost can deter some. I know in the UK there are salons out there charging £750 ($1200) or more for a piece. The most I have heard someone pay is £2000 (or $3,200). These figures are shocking and needless. But it gets better for them. These "helpful" salons will then say, you MUST change it every few weeks and ONLY the salon can do it.

They play on people's emotions but also on factor 2. Too much information for some to process so its "easier" for someone else to make my decision and charge me. Thats just lazy. I have met people like this. If people take the time to research it they will see other places offering hair systems for significantly lower and if you listen to the recommendations, then you have a place to start and would have saved a packet. It becomes more sustainable and more discrete than running to salons every few weeks. PRICE and QUALITY are not always correlated. In the UK price means nice central offices, advertising and plenty of staff. Do you really need all this as a wearer? I get by on £550 ($800) for over a year's wear from 2 hair systems and a few products.

4. I have spoken to potential wearers that say "I dont want to shave off my hair". You dont need to shave off all your hair. Only the area where you want the hair system to be, should be shaved. Often there is no or very thin hair there. The quality of the hair you will be getting from the hair system is far far superior to the poor hair you will be losing.

If you decide its not for you or you want a break, then your natural hair will grow back normally, so there really is no risk.

5. There's too much maintenance. It will take you 25 minutes every 2-weeks, which you can fit in with watching something. This is the time you need to remove, clean and reattach your hair system. There is no daily
    maintenance required apart from a comb and a mirror. 25-minutes every 2-weeks is very little time for the great results you will feel every day. There is nothing complicated about it. Its very straightforward once you know and I am happy to share my experiences including on how to care for your new system.

6. I dont know how to do a template. There are many helpful pages or videos on youtube of how to do this. If in any helpful is needed just contact me.

7. When I have it, what next? Some people freeze as they don't know where to get their hair cut in. Im not sure what its like in the States, but in the UK it can be difficult to find somewhere at a reasonable cost. This also delayed me for a few weeks. The best thing is to ask for recommendations :-)

If there are people out that that need more help, feel free to drop me a line and I will be happy to share my own experiences.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grincher View Post
    Why do some people do all the hard work only to dither and freeze when it comes to a hair system?

I mean there are people out there very anxious about their hair loss. Some even low or depresssed about it.

They spend hours researching, visiting forums and clinics. They ask questions but then they freeze and take no risk.

Why?

I love my hair system. Best decision I have taken about my hair loss. No contest!
    The following video pretty sums up the fears men have while wearing a piece.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    The following video pretty sums up the fears men have while wearing a piece.
    Was that thing even held on with anything? That almost looked like he intended for it to happen for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Was that thing even held on with anything? That almost looked like he intended for it to happen for a laugh.
    If you don't attach the piece with anything, then you are waiting for that type of thing to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    If you don't attach the piece with anything, then you are waiting for that type of thing to happen.
    Yea if I'm gonna wear a piece its gonna be held on with whatever the strongest hairpiece and scalp friendly adhesive possible is.

that was the last century. In 2014 things have moved on. however human stupidity is all around us.