X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 35YrsAfter
    Doctor Representative
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by walrus
    Anyone reading this should realise that the above statement is only the opinion of 35YrsAfter. That is, there is no evidence to link the PGD2 mediated pathway of hair growth inhibition with platelets or PRP. Be aware of financially motivated posters hijacking scientific theories for personal gain.
    Did you even read my post? At the very least PRP improves healing. Have you heard of Emory University and Emory hospital? If not, read about the healing success they are having using PRP. If money were motivating my post and I had my eye on profits as you imply, wouldn't I be singing the praises of PRP and encouraging forum readers to have PRP treatments at our clinic rather than sending them to Dr. Greco in Florida? Below is a better than average PRP/ACell treatment.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ACell-PRP-Stand-Alone-closeup (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	438861
    Does everything in your life require a formal study? Some things are a no-brainer. Patients having PRP/ACell treatment show an improvement in hair shaft diameter. We keep track of hair mass index numbers and roughly 90% of our patients who have had PRP/ACell treatments show some improvement in their hair mass index. I just think, in most cases the improvement of stand-alone ACell/PRP treatment is not worth the money. The effectiveness of PRP is not a scientific theory, it's proven fact.

The contents of your post is incredibly ignorant and you do a disservice to the hair loss community by writing such nonsense.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• FearTheLoss
      • Dec 2012

I don't understand why people on the forum relentlessly attack 35yrs...He clearly stated that Dr. Greco's PRP plan might be worth a try if you have the money, and he works for Dr. Cole. How do you guys then take this statement and turn it into him having an anterior motive to make money? It's unreal.

Dr. Greco does have a different PRP formation than any doctor out there, and I've seen numerous pictures of his patients that lead me to believe it works with a decent success rate. I'm going to be getting PRP done with Greco soon.

FTL

Comment

• walrus
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
        The contents of your post is incredibly ignorant and you do a disservice to the hair loss community by writing such nonsense.
        I stand by what I said. There is no evidence for what you posted regarding PGD2, only conjecture. You are either unwittingly, or intentionally, misleading readers (neither reflect well). PGD2 acts on the GPR44 receptor which has nothing to do with platelets.

Which does more of a disservice to the hair loss community: Spewing false information, or calling it out for what it is?.

it's proven fact.
        By your logic, facts don't require evidence.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
          Doctor Representative
          • Aug 2012

I stand by what I said. There is no evidence for what you posted regarding PGD2, only conjecture. You are either unwittingly, or intentionally, misleading readers (neither reflect well). PGD2 acts on the GPR44 receptor which has nothing to do with platelets.

Which does more of a disservice to the hair loss community: Spewing false information, or calling it out for what it is?.

By your logic, facts don't require evidence.
          A theory when stated as such is not false information. It may later be proven false, but in the case of Rogaine for example, there are currently only theories regarding how it actually works. All the theories in the world will have absolutely no impact on the actual effectiveness of minoxidil.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
          Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• walrus
            • Feb 2012

A theory when stated as such is not false information. It may later be proven false, but in the case of Rogaine for example, there are currently only theories regarding how it actually works. All the theories in the world will have absolutely no impact on the actual effectiveness of minoxidil.
            Good, so we have established then that your PGD2 'theory' is unsupported by actual science. Anyone can say they have a theory that there are fairies on the moon, but that doesn't make it creditable.

All the theories in the world will have absolutely no impact on the actual effectiveness of minoxidil.
            No, but that is why we have double-blind placebo controlled studies.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
              Doctor Representative
              • Aug 2012

Good, so we have established then that your PGD2 'theory' is unsupported by actual science. Anyone can say they have a theory that there are fairies on the moon, but that doesn't make it creditable.
              Nope, that wasn't established. Multiple articles on the PubMed.gov Website (US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health) state that PGD2 inhibits platelet aggregation. One example, read the last paragraph here.

Studies indicate that miniaturizing follicles are saturated with high concentrations of PGD2 whereas follicles in the "safe" zone on the same guy do not have those concentrations of PGD2. Platelet rich plasma increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturized hair. To me, this observation is worthy of further investigation:

"We show a close temporal relationship between elevations in both Ptgds mRNA and PGD2 levels in mice with hair follicle regression during normal hair follicle cycling. We further provide functional data indicating that PGD2 and its nonenzymatic metabolite, 15-deoxy-Δ12,14-prostaglandin J2 (15-dPGJ2), inhibit hair growth in both mouse and human hair follicles. In mice and humans, the PGD2-mediated inhibition of hair growth required the G protein (heterotrimeric guanine nucleotide–binding protein)–coupled receptor 44 (GPR44), but not the prostaglandin D2 receptor 1 (PTGDR). Finally, we describe a mouse model (K14-Ptgs2) with elevated PGD2 levels in the skin that phenocopies human AGA (14). These results implicate PGD2 in the pathogenesis of AGA and suggest new receptor targets for its treatment."

Dr. Cole began using PRP during hair transplant surgeries, because it speeds and improves healing. Every patient who comes in for hair transplant surgery with adequate hair length gets cross section trichometry. Cross section trichometry is validated as a legitimate method of determining hair mass here on the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health Website.

We keep every patient's hair mass index saved in a spread sheet. In about 90% of all cases where PRP/ACell was administered during their hair transplant surgery, we later see some increase in the hair mass index.

From the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health:

Although few studies tested the effects of activated PRP on hair growth, this research provides support for possible clinical application of autologous PRP and its secretory factors for promotion of hair growth.

"BACKGROUND:
              Recently, autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has attracted attention in various medical fields, including plastic and orthopedic surgery and dermatology, for its ability to promote wound healing. PRP has been tested during facelift and hair transplantation to reduce swelling and pain and to increase hair density.
              OBJECTIVE:
              To investigate the effects of PRP on hair growth using in vivo and in vitro models.
              METHODS:
              PRP was prepared using the double-spin method and applied to dermal papilla (DP) cells. The proliferative effect of activated PRP on DP cells was measured. To understand the mechanisms of activated PRP on hair growth, we evaluated signaling pathways. In an in vivo study, mice received subcutaneous injections of activated PRP, and their results were compared with control mice.
              RESULTS:
              Activated PRP increased the proliferation of DP cells and stimulated extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) and Akt signaling. Fibroblast growth factor 7 (FGF-7) and beta-catenin, which are potent stimuli for hair growth, were upregulated in DP cells. The injection of mice with activated PRP induced faster telogen-to-anagen transition than was seen on control mice.
              CONCLUSIONS:
              Although few studies tested the effects of activated PRP on hair growth, this research provides support for possible clinical application of autologous PRP and its secretory factors for promotion of hair growth."

Another from the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health:
              Quote:
              "The beneficial effects of PRP in AGA can thus be attributed to various platelet-derived growth factors causing improvement in the function of hair follicle and promotion of hair growth. It is safe, cheap, and non-allergic and it appears to be a useful adjuvant in the management of AGA."

My theory... Perhaps PGD2 plays a role leading to a deficiency in platelet growth factors necessary for healthy hair growth. In the better cases where PRP is administered, we see miniaturizing hair shaft diameter improve significantly.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
              Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• FuzzyWuzzy
                • Jul 2014

Fellas,

Finished two treatments, with different doctors (two treatments in total, not 2x2). Both doctors are very well regarded. I can honestly say I gave this treatment an honest shot. Two treatments 6 months apart, and waited 6 moths after the second before posting again. For me the results were zero. My hair loss has progressed. I don't want to attribute the progression to PRP because that would be an unfounded accusation but can confidently say there were no positive results. I know there is a growing body of science in favor of this treatment, but wanted to add my anecdotal response on its lack of effectiveness. I'm now (like everyone else here) hoping that something in the pipeline comes to market at breakneck speed. Good luck out there!

Comment

• BBay
                  • Jun 2013

I have seen it done on a friend but he had to go 4 times over 12 months, there was some positive result although slow he did retain the hair he had

Comment

• Vic
                    • Apr 2014

I had 2 PRP treatments, 6 months apart. I grew some peach fuzz. For the money I spent on PRP, the results weren't worth it. I've heard many people report peach fuzz growth with Rogaine. I spent $3200 on 2 PRP treatments. $100 worth of rogaine would've given me the same results.
                    About 5 months ago I started using a Derma Roller once a week which does the same exact thing as PRP, promotes wound healing/growth factors. My $10 Derma roller has given me MUCH better results then $3200 worth of PRP treatments.
                    I think it's safe to say PRP is just another way for doctors to suck our wallets dry.

Comment

• navi
                      • Aug 2015

Dont ever go with this, i have lost around 30 % hair in 4 months due to this i was hoping a 10% increase and now i dont know when will this shedding stop , its utter crap, dont use it until it is proven that it has no negative effects.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Vic
                        I had 2 PRP treatments, 6 months apart. I grew some peach fuzz. For the money I spent on PRP, the results weren't worth it. I've heard many people report peach fuzz growth with Rogaine. I spent $3200 on 2 PRP treatments. $100 worth of rogaine would've given me the same results.
                        About 5 months ago I started using a Derma Roller once a week which does the same exact thing as PRP, promotes wound healing/growth factors. My $10 Derma roller has given me MUCH better results then $3200 worth of PRP treatments.
                        I think it's safe to say PRP is just another way for doctors to suck our wallets dry.
                        I just don't think that they are using nearly enough PRP growth factors to make any significant difference. I think when they developed it, they just excepted in to help with hair transplantation and not much else. I believe that if a doctor truly tinkered with the PRP procedure and designed it to be a true hair restoration treatment, and not simply some complement to hair transplantation, it could really make a true difference.

Comment

• arfy
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Vic
                          My opinion as well.

Comment

• WHTC Clinic
                            IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                            • Oct 2013

We have also noted a number of patients benefit from prp treatments. Improvements in hair caliber were observed at the six-month mark.
                            Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
                            London, UK - Available (Sat.)
                            Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
                            Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
                            Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
                            customer.care@mywhtc.com
                            Telephone
                            +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
                            +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
                            les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Comment

• jamesst11
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by WHTC Clinic
                              We have also noted a number of patients benefit from prp treatments. Improvements in hair caliber were observed at the six-month mark.
                              "A number of patients"? Can you provide us with more specific statistics and hair counts? I personally think PRP is just jargon. They shoved a bunch of crap into a solution that they thought should have worked.. the evidence to support anything positive is very minimal. I also believe that the injections can cause enough trauma to trigger TE, which is an absolute nightmare, especially if you have MPB

Comment

• arfy
                                • Sep 2015

"Hair caliber" can sometimes be a meaningless statistic, and can be misleading to patients (even if it's not intended to be). It's quite possible for hair caliber to increase, but the results are not a visible improvement for the patient.

Comment

Working...