Anyone had success with PRP? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    182

    Default Anyone had success with PRP?

    So I've been on rogaine for like 5 years now, and it is starting to lose it's effectiveness. I'm thinking about trying out PRP, but has anyone tried it with success? Does it work or this it just make Things worse than they are?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    34

    Default

    PRP is made from your own blood, so the chance of side effects is pretty slim. While getting the injections does not guarantee hair growth, they should not worsen your condition in any way. PRP has shown success in many areas, from the eldbow, wrist, knee, shoulder, hip, and now hair loss. Your own blood is taken and then centrifuged, creating highly concentrated platelets, which in turn release concentrated amounts of growth factors. The PRP is injected under the skin in patients with alopecia. This high concentration of growth factors is what aids in the healing of damaged tissues and the promotion of hair growth. PRP may be used alone or in conjunction with ACell to treat hair loss. One study reported 50% of patients who received PRP injections noticed hair growth. It is shown to promote healing and advance the growth of grafts following hair transplantation. I think it would definitely be a worthwhile treatment to consider.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    116

    Default

    This is the first time I have heard of PRP, sounds interesting.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
    PRP is made from your own blood, so the chance of side effects is pretty slim. While getting the injections does not guarantee hair growth, they should not worsen your condition in any way. PRP has shown success in many areas, from the eldbow, wrist, knee, shoulder, hip, and now hair loss. Your own blood is taken and then centrifuged, creating highly concentrated platelets, which in turn release concentrated amounts of growth factors. The PRP is injected under the skin in patients with alopecia. This high concentration of growth factors is what aids in the healing of damaged tissues and the promotion of hair growth. PRP may be used alone or in conjunction with ACell to treat hair loss. One study reported 50% of patients who received PRP injections noticed hair growth. It is shown to promote healing and advance the growth of grafts following hair transplantation. I think it would definitely be a worthwhile treatment to consider.
    Well i just starting to thin a bit nothing noticeable, but i want be proactive about my MPB i'n inthe very early stages. Would it help me regain some of my lost hair and thicken the thin hairs on my scalp? I haven't done any HT.

  5. #5
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    Well i just starting to thin a bit nothing noticeable, but i want be proactive about my MPB i'n inthe very early stages. Would it help me regain some of my lost hair and thicken the thin hairs on my scalp? I haven't done any HT.
    Dr. Cole prefers to use PRP/ACell during and after minimal depth FUE surgery as opposed to stand alone PRP/ACell treatments. Stand alone treatments are a bang for the buck decision. If your bank account supports it, go for a stand alone treatment.

    Prostaglandin D2 inhibits hair growth and is elevated in the bald scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia. PGD2 is a powerful inhibitor of platelet aggregation. On the other hand PRP or platelet rich plasma increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturizing hair. I personally believe that the miniaturization of hair hair is due at least in part to starvation of platelet growth factors caused by concentrations of PGD2 in those follicles susceptible to MPB.

    Below is the best result I have seen from a stand alone PRP treatment. I have posted this photo many times. This particular patient has been taking Avodart for around 8 years. Perhaps that's a winning combination, Avodart + PRP/ACell.


    35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ACell-PRP-Stand-Alone-closeup4.jpg

Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	25985  

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    34

    Default

    One study I read said PRP alone was effective in the treatment of AA (Alopecia Areata). I know this is not the same as AGA, but the fact that it worked, leads me to believe it should also work for AGA. The patients in this study received once monthly injections of PRP over the course of 1 yr, which could be costly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    188

    Default

    I have had PRP/ACell twice. The first time I did not notice any results. Then they came out with a finer acell powder that mixed with the PRP better and did not clump so I tried it again. This time I used Dr. Cooley. He told me I would not see any results for 4 months and told me exactly what to expect. At almost exactly the 4 month mark I began to see improvement. There was visible improvement in the crown. The improvement did not appear to be new hair as much as it was thickening and lengthening of very fine hairs that were barely visible before the procedure. I also noticed what I can only describe as fuller more healthy hair throughout my scalp. If I did the procedure again, I would definitely use Dr. Cooley as the environment and experience were much more professional. I do not plan on using the procedure again b/c of the cost benefit. The results seemed to fade at about the 8th month mark. My cost for the procedure was somewhere near the $1,200 to $1,500 mark but I believe it has since gone up to around $2,000 to $2,500. When you tack on flight, hotel, etc., it is expensive. If I could do it locally every 2 months or so at $250 to $400, I think I would go for it. Don't expect it to take a bald scalp and perform miracles. But if you want to maintain with a boost and spend $5,000 to $6,000 a year, you might consider it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    88

    Default

    isn't 6.000 the supposed cost of HSC also? Or am I mixing something up?

  9. #9
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinotQ View Post
    I have had PRP/ACell twice. The first time I did not notice any results. Then they came out with a finer acell powder that mixed with the PRP better and did not clump so I tried it again. This time I used Dr. Cooley. He told me I would not see any results for 4 months and told me exactly what to expect. At almost exactly the 4 month mark I began to see improvement. There was visible improvement in the crown. The improvement did not appear to be new hair as much as it was thickening and lengthening of very fine hairs that were barely visible before the procedure. I also noticed what I can only describe as fuller more healthy hair throughout my scalp. If I did the procedure again, I would definitely use Dr. Cooley as the environment and experience were much more professional. I do not plan on using the procedure again b/c of the cost benefit. The results seemed to fade at about the 8th month mark. My cost for the procedure was somewhere near the $1,200 to $1,500 mark but I believe it has since gone up to around $2,000 to $2,500. When you tack on flight, hotel, etc., it is expensive. If I could do it locally every 2 months or so at $250 to $400, I think I would go for it. Don't expect it to take a bald scalp and perform miracles. But if you want to maintain with a boost and spend $5,000 to $6,000 a year, you might consider it.
    The disposables associated with PRP treatment are pretty expensive. The cost (doctor's cost) of the centrifuge cartridge alone for a top end device could nearly pay for a set of tires for a compact car.

    When you're dealing with blood, it's not a good idea to cut corners. There should be a way down the road to reduce the cost of the disposable items associated with these treatments though. PRP treatments are effective, but just too expensive for most. Especially if you get on a regular maintenance program.

    35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    428

    Default

    I've been getting prp treatments for four years now, with no other treatments. Prior to the prp my hair looked pretty good but under a microscope there was definitely a bit of miniaturization visible under the microscope. Four years later the top of my head looks just like my permanent zone under a microscope. My hair also feels stronger and fuller and I have virtually no shedding. I don't think it's a miracle treatment and certainly not a "cure," but overall I am a believer.

Similar Threads

  1. no success with propecia
    By create79 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM
  2. Has anyone had success with Fin?
    By pensfan in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 01:07 AM
  3. Apparently some have had success on Fin+Dut
    By stratofortress in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
  4. Success Stories!
    By Sumguy in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
  5. Success
    By KeepTheHair in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

All booked in for FUE.
10-07-2018 08:05 AM
by 37L
Last Post By 37L
Today 01:47 PM
The Bald Truth! Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 LIVE!
Today 12:56 PM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Today 12:56 PM
Just started propecia (finasteride)
Today 12:22 PM
Last Post By fantasy123
Today 12:22 PM