+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: People noticing

I can completely relate to that feeling of shame and dread walking into a barbershop...it's one of the worst parts of this whole thing, along with people's eyes occasionally glancing up to my hairline mid-conversation...it keeps happening!

The real issue here is the massive hit my confidence has taken, and continues to take when someone decides to remind me about it in the middle of a dinner party in front of 7 or 8 other people and I don't know what to say back without sounding dejected and hurt. Hairloss really can become so much more than just losing hair...it's really starting to get me down!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer199 View Post
    Hi, long time lurker, first real time posting...

I'm currently a Norwood 2.5 and have been slowly progressing through the scale since I was 19, I am now 23. I went for a haircut today, the same as I do every 5 or 6 weeks, and in the space of about 3 hours have had 4 or 5 acquaintances say things along the lines of "Wow, you're really losing your hair eh!" and "How are you losing your hair at 23??!"
    Classic line by ignorant privileged idiots who are the same to cast you out as a common circus freak into a gutter class of society just because you're losing your hair.

God I hate these people...

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Classic line by ignorant privileged idiots who are the same to cast you out as a common circus freak into a gutter class of society just because you're losing your hair.

God I hate these people...
    O yea bald people are circus freaks....

It's amazing how just losing hair on the top of your head leads you to think that one immediately becomes a freak and socially looked down upon. Have you taken a look around where you live? I guarantee you will not go one single day without seeing someone bald, or balding. Plenty of dudes get over it or deal with it, and don't act like a whiny spoiled kid. Are you that shallow to believe bald people are the scum of society? There are always idiots out the who make fun of others for any number of reasons, just because some do doesn't automatically mean everyone else feels the same way.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haircure View Post
    O yea bald people are circus freaks....

It's amazing how just losing hair on the top of your head leads you to think that one immediately becomes a freak and socially looked down upon. Have you taken a look around where you live? I guarantee you will not go one single day without seeing someone bald, or balding. Plenty of dudes get over it or deal with it, and don't act like a whiny spoiled kid. Are you that shallow to believe bald people are the scum of society? There are always idiots out the who make fun of others for any number of reasons, just because some do doesn't automatically mean everyone else feels the same way.
    When I was young I hated losing my hair. Not everyone feels that way though. According to a recent survey, women find men with good hair generally better looking and bald/balding men more masculine and dominant. I have a friend in his forties who is a slick Norwood 6 and shaves his head. This guy is more popular with women than any one I have ever known. He showed me a photo of he and his beautiful new girlfriend. He was unhappy with his appearance in the photo, not because he's bald, but because his smile revealed a space between two of his teeth on one side.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 11-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.

its remarkable to me that people fail to use propecia when they still have a chance.

I got on propecia in the dark ages in 1999. my doc didn't say anything about side effects, I didn't ask, and I really didn't have good access to internet to find anything out. all I know is that I wanted to keep my hair. I heard about propecia, and started popping it like a daily vitamin. starting the very first day i took propecia, I never looked at my hair again, after looking at it daily worrying and losing sleep for 1 year when I noticed I was losing hair in my early 20s. I stayed on propecia for 7 years.

in late 2007, I battled alcoholism, and basically lost everything. I couldn't afford propecia, ended up living on the streets for a period, was more concerned about survival and was in a daze. the amount of hair I lost in 1.5 years off propecia was stunning. I basically 'caught up' my hair loss and am now a NW 4. I got back on propecia in 2009 when I could afford it once more and got my life back in order.

the only downside of propecia is that after nearly 8 years of use, I actually started to believe that I did not suffer from MPB, so did I really need it anyways? worst mistake I made in my life. I'd do anything to rewind those 2 years.

I have to believe that not trying propecia will be the biggest life altering decision people make in their entire lives, and I am not saying that lightly.

Did you regain the hair you lost when you finally started taking the drug again?

Quote Originally Posted by losthair85 View Post
    I have to believe that not trying propecia will be the biggest life altering decision people make in their entire lives, and I am not saying that lightly.
    I agree. So many people would rather roll with the anti propecia trolls then do something to help themselves.