+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: People noticing

My first dermatologist who was 60 years old found good to point when he told me I was balding at 19 years old: "Look, Frédéric, even I have more hair than you!"

Prick.

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer199 View Post
    I went for a haircut today, the same as I do every 5 or 6 weeks, and in the space of about 3 hours have had 4 or 5 acquaintances say things along the lines of "Wow, you're really losing your hair eh!" and "How are you losing your hair at 23??!"...
    This is where people deserve food poisoning for asking such stupid question.

HOW? Dafuq do they mean how? As if we're just LETTING it go. Idiots.

Doctor Representative

People who don't have this condition (hairloss) do not realize how sensitive we are to it.. and so they can say some brutal things without intending to hurt us. It sucks that they are so clueless.

Hi, long time lurker, first real time posting...

I'm currently a Norwood 2.5 and have been slowly progressing through the scale since I was 19, I am now 23. I went for a haircut today, the same as I do every 5 or 6 weeks, and in the space of about 3 hours have had 4 or 5 acquaintances say things along the lines of "Wow, you're really losing your hair eh!" and "How are you losing your hair at 23??!"...

I've been pretty good (or so I think!) at hiding my loss so far so to have this happen after getting a pretty short haircut (that I thought would hide the thinning and recession) is a massive source of frustration and depression for me. I'm pretty certain that I won't be going down the propecia/RU/any other crazy concoction route, so I know I can't really complain about the whole situation..I'm just here to vent really.

How long has it taken your friends to get over the whole balding/bald thing? My confidence has been hit pretty hard by it, I wish I was able to just shrug off the comments and jokes but that's not really me.
    Easier said than done, but try not to let them know the comments bother you and they will stop or at least slow down.

I am friends with an older couple (~10years). The girlfriend has some medical background and believes propecia will stop mpb 100%. She was upset that he wouldn't use it and went bald. She says to me something like, "Don't be stupid like him, you'd better get on it now or and you will be just like him in about 10 years". I said something like "thanks" and left it at that.

Last year a couple of friends and my sister mentioned it passing but not in a rude way.

When I was younger, it was hard not to show even passing comment did not bother me. Now it's not nearly as hard and I am not sure why.

I am not sure if this will help you .. but I just want to share my experience. This might be overly dramatic too. I had beautiful hair which I got compliments for until I was about 19. Then I slowly started loosing hair which has progressed to a NW3-3.5 now.I am 28. I have not given up still and somehow deal with it with some crazy hairdo. But the hardest part is to go the hairdressers. I can't blame them for what they do to my hair... I honestly think they can't do much about how it can be cut. I cringe when I see my reflection in the mirror .. my hair just looks disgusting. As I walk out of the saloon lobby to pay.. I can see most people staring at my hair.It's a very painful experience. I usually walk back home from this saloon ... and it's during this time I usually make decisions .. think about how to bring something good out of myself in the coming 15 days... This feeling is so intense and I have accomplished what ever I thought about. For instance, it was during one of the walks that I decided to quit my job and go to grad school. I did . Then I wanted to get a great gpa. I got 4.8 and then I got a better job. I can say most of these came out of the pain that I have experienced and none out of the happy moments. I am not looking forward to this pain but then when I come across it I realized I just will make it work for me somehow.

just shave it all off mate. if it worries you then you've got nothing to lose. Ive been searching for an answer for years and haven't found anything that even worked a little. Hope you have fun.

How long has it taken your friends to get over the whole balding/bald thing? My confidence has been hit pretty hard by it, I wish I was able to just shrug off the comments and jokes but that's not really me.
    Most dont say anything, one has already started balding since about last year, he's thinning on the top and a bit at the hairline but he's not terrible(probably NW2), another guy that started around my time is now an NW5! barely has a wisp of hair on his head.

I dont think anyone cares THAT much, a lot of people have bald fathers/unlces/friends as they get older, it's a shocker in high school but im now just about to graduate from university and I'd say I know about 6-7 guys personally that are balding to some degree, back when I was 17(5 years ago) I was literally the only one.

4 or 5 acquaintances say things along the lines of "Wow, you're really losing your hair eh!" and "How are you losing your hair at 23??!"...
    I feel physically ill just reading this. Saying it as a "Haha" / "Sucks to be you!"-kind of way. I just want to puke.

My hair isn't really bad yet, but I don't think I want to live to much more if in additional to being male, short, and bad skin which I finally after 14 years cleared with accutane, also have to get more progressive hair loss.

It is enough, I dont need more handicap I already struggle I dont want more shit down my road I am already drowning in it.

hey try to laugh about it as much as you can.. you have to wonder why you are so hurt, someone is like, dude your losing your hair ! Your like ya, i guess so.. it's kind why are you hurt by it, everyone is thinking, poor dude, losing his hair, so when someone says it don't be surprised like dude, ya i am i look in the mirror.

I used to joke about it or be frank, like for instance, but so many people jump on that for a chance to throw in the "ya i wouldn't want to date a bald guy either.. now i don't throw them an opening, so if someone says something about it I always see what is there problem...

most people that bug you about it are low self esteem people, so snap back lightly like "oh tell the bald guy" just say "said the fat women" or "said the shorty" there is always something to pick on people about, wrinkles.. you don't have to be mean but one at a time they will not have the guts to say it twice, make sure to one up them, like hey baldy, say oh ya wrinkly or what ever.. they shut up pretty quickly

Quote Originally Posted by baldduders View Post
    hey try to laugh about it as much as you can.. you have to wonder why you are so hurt, someone is like, dude your losing your hair ! Your like ya, i guess so.. it's kind why are you hurt by it, everyone is thinking, poor dude, losing his hair, so when someone says it don't be surprised like dude, ya i am i look in the mirror.

I used to joke about it or be frank, like for instance, but so many people jump on that for a chance to throw in the "ya i wouldn't want to date a bald guy either.. now i don't throw them an opening, so if someone says something about it I always see what is there problem...

most people that bug you about it are low self esteem people, so snap back lightly like "oh tell the bald guy" just say "said the fat women" or "said the shorty" there is always something to pick on people about, wrinkles.. you don't have to be mean but one at a time they will not have the guts to say it twice, make sure to one up them, like hey baldy, say oh ya wrinkly or what ever.. they shut up pretty quickly
    Except sometimes there is nothing to say back. I personally wouldn't mind losing hair if it did in fact not change anything.

But it certainly does, I can feel people treat me differently because I am short etc. Girls will have completely different responses to a friend of mine even if we speak the exact same words in the exact same tone. Ill face rejection for "creep" and he will come off as "flirty, and handsome".

So it is not about the look, but the consequences which most certainly are true. The worse you look, the worse the treatment you will get. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that.

A good looking guy losing his hair will become an average looking guy. An average looking guy will become a below average looking guy, and a below average looking guy will be screwed pretty much.

Just my opinion based on my experiences, and other peoples experiences.