+ Reply to Thread

Default How long until SOME KIND of growth?

I went for my HT FUE on feb 13th of this year.
    I had BAD folliculitis after about 2 weeks and ALL the transplanted grafts shed. I am coming to month 3 now and see literally nothing.
    The redness is finally going away after this long but judging by others on forums and article 3 months should be when they start sprouting.
    On top of that my shock loss is major and also started VERY late. About 2 to 3 weeks ago my hair started shedding like crazy and is super thin in front. My donor area shocked after healing and now also has folliculitis (red bumps that hurt and itch and ingrown hairs).

WTF happened to me? Why is my body reacting like this to my own healing? Every other place I ask no one has dealt with this. The doc is easy to reach but even they are stumped as I get the token "Ive never seen a reaction like this before"
    He says hes confident the hairs will still grow but Im not so. He says he will take care of it if it doesnt (meaning hell do another session) but really with this reaction what will that do. I mean now Ill be out the money and any hair, PLUS could be left with scaring making it impossible to shave my head.

Can ANYONE tell me they have gone through anything similar? Im really freaking out and this isnt helping the shedding situation. Im just super stressed lately. It seems like anything I ever try to do goes wrong for me.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swingline747 View Post
    I went for my HT FUE on feb 13th of this year.
    I had BAD folliculitis after about 2 weeks and ALL the transplanted grafts shed. I am coming to month 3 now and see literally nothing.
    The redness is finally going away after this long but judging by others on forums and article 3 months should be when they start sprouting.
    On top of that my shock loss is major and also started VERY late. About 2 to 3 weeks ago my hair started shedding like crazy and is super thin in front. My donor area shocked after healing and now also has folliculitis (red bumps that hurt and itch and ingrown hairs).

WTF happened to me? Why is my body reacting like this to my own healing? Every other place I ask no one has dealt with this. The doc is easy to reach but even they are stumped as I get the token "Ive never seen a reaction like this before"
    He says hes confident the hairs will still grow but Im not so. He says he will take care of it if it doesnt (meaning hell do another session) but really with this reaction what will that do. I mean now Ill be out the money and any hair, PLUS could be left with scaring making it impossible to shave my head.

Can ANYONE tell me they have gone through anything similar? Im really freaking out and this isnt helping the shedding situation. Im just super stressed lately. It seems like anything I ever try to do goes wrong for me.
    This reminds me of a patient of ours who had a reaction to an ingredient in a postoperative spray. His scalp turned red and later shed skin. He was concerned his hair wouldn't grow, but it grew fine. Just make sure you don't get a sunburn.

Could you post some photos? Has your doctor recommended you apply anything to the area? Do you have transplanted hairs that stopped growing and need to be tweezed out? Those hairs are supposed to come out you know. If they don't they can cause pimples and redness.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    This reminds me of a patient of ours who had a reaction to an ingredient in a postoperative spray. His scalp turned red and later shed skin. He was concerned his hair wouldn't grow, but it grew fine. Just make sure you don't get a sunburn.

Could you post some photos? Has your doctor recommended you apply anything to the area? Do you have transplanted hairs that stopped growing and need to be tweezed out? Those hairs are supposed to come out you know. If they don't they can cause pimples and redness.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    my only post operative spray was a saline solution.
    My entire area that had no hair (temples) turned into a red pus filled mess. The areas that had hair still but were filled in were 100% fine. My body seemed to be attacking the new hairs he said, but also followed up with "never saw this before".
    I eventually got so scared and started to feel pain so I did a gauze with peroxide (he gave me) and compressed both areas. They started to clear up the next day and there was only a few pus filled follicles.

I have to find those pics but here is the back of my head.
    The sides of the donor area are filled with these red pimples. They itch like crazy, some pop clear liquid, a couple look like little sores. Im wondering if its staph of some sort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.jpg

Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	25936  

Just came back from my 3 month.
    He swears he sees some fine hairs coming in. I am deluded and occasionally think theyre there to but then the light changes and so does my opinion.

He spent like 30-45 minutes with a small sharp set of tweezers pulling what were transected hairs from the bumps in my donor.
    Apparently if a hair become transected and dies the body tries to eject the follicle as foreign (I looked this up and knew ahead of time).

He said usually the body will just push it out in time but for some reason my body was trying to push them out in overdrive. Almost the same way my body reacted to the new hairs in the bald spots when I had the procedure done initially. My body does not seem to like anything foreign. I once had a tattoo reject ink on my arm and even had my body push a piercing out of the skin. It really pushed the metal out of the skin.

Im just hoping this isnt failed. What a waste of time and money this would be not to mention a big blow to my self esteem.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

He spent like 30-45 minutes with a small sharp set of tweezers pulling what were transected hairs from the bumps in my donor.
    Apparently if a hair become transected and dies the body tries to eject the follicle as foreign (I looked this up and knew ahead of time).
    Did the doctor say they were transected?

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Just came back from my 3 month.
    He swears he sees some fine hairs coming in. I am deluded and occasionally think theyre there to but then the light changes and so does my opinion.

He said usually the body will just push it out in time but for some reason my body was trying to push them out in overdrive. Almost the same way my body reacted to the new hairs in the bald spots when I had the procedure done initially. My body does not seem to like anything foreign. I once had a tattoo reject ink on my arm and even had my body push a piercing out of the skin. It really pushed the metal out of the skin.

Im just hoping this isnt failed. What a waste of time and money this would be not to mention a big blow to my self esteem.

IMHO, I don't think you own scalp/body will reject your follicles. Never heard of that occurring in anyone.

But, if you sense any swelling that lingers, any over abundance of white heads and/or red bumps, contact your surgeon.

There are potentially some medicinal remedies including steroidal based ones that can counter-act those symptoms.

Wish you well in the journey...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Did the doctor say they were transected?

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Yes
    He pulled them out and was showing me some