+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it ok to use minoxidil on 'dirty' hair?

Hi guys,

I've been using 0.5 mg propecia for the last 5 months and thinking about starting to use 1ml of minoxidil (kirkland liquid) per day to my regime to try to thicken thin areas. The question I have is this:
    I wash my hair every 3 days as any more frequently dries it out (it's about 1/2 meter in length, so cant shampoo every day)
    Is it ok to use minoxidil on unwashed hair that contains styling products such as dry shampoo, hair spray or concealers (couvre/toppix)?

The other question is : is Foam effective for long hair, or should i just stick with the liquid?

I've heard reports that the foam add's volume and is less greasy , so am interested in trying it for these reasons.

Cheers!

I would imagine it would be okay to use minoxidil on "dirty hair", but I would think with all the styling products building up, that your scalp would become irritated as hell and start itching.

It says on either Dermmatch or Toppik's website (can't remember which one) to wash out concealers before using minox. Personally, I think you should try a different shampoo + conditioner and wash your hair every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It says on either Dermmatch or Toppik's website (can't remember which one) to wash out concealers before using minox. Personally, I think you should try a different shampoo + conditioner and wash your hair every day.
    Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I can't go a day without washing my scalp/hair.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Hi guys,

I wash my hair every 3 days as any more frequently dries it out (it's about 1/2 meter in length, so cant shampoo every day)
    Is it ok to use minoxidil on unwashed hair that contains styling products such as dry shampoo, hair spray or concealers (couvre/toppix)?

The other question is : is Foam effective for long hair, or should i just stick with the liquid?

I've heard reports that the foam add's volume and is less greasy , so am interested in trying it for these reasons.

Cheers!
    Foam is the best version of minoxidil available. It doesn't make your hair greasy. I have used minoxidil on and off for many years and never had any issues using it on scalp/hair that hasn't been recently washed.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Minoxidil Foam just needs to be applied directly to scalp twice daily to be effective. It should work equally well on short or long hair, just part your hair if it's long so you can access the thinning areas of the scalp before application. If you are using any sticky styling products, you may want to think about trying to wash your hair everyday as you do not want to clog any pores on your scalp. Otherwise, if you are using products like gels, you could rinse them about before applying the minoxidil. After the foam dries, you can apply your concealers (couvre, toppix, dermatch). If you have a greasy scalp, you also want to be sure to at least rinse your scalp with water to remove any DHT. If you haven't tried the HairCycle line of shampoo, conditioner, and styling products you may want to check them out! They were created by a physician and contain DHT inhibitors.