+ Reply to Thread

Default Washing Recipient Graft Area

Tomorrow is Day 6/7 for my recipient graft area, and the post op care pack mentions that i should discontinue the pouring water/shampoo from a jug and wash hair 'normally' after soaking my hair with conditioner.

The sooner i can remove some of the scabs the better but i'm quiet cautious of doing some damage to the grafts after 7 days. Does anyone have any advice from past experience please?

Quote Originally Posted by Scraff View Post
    Tomorrow is Day 6/7 for my recipient graft area, and the post op care pack mentions that i should discontinue the pouring water/shampoo from a jug and wash hair 'normally' after soaking my hair with conditioner.

The sooner i can remove some of the scabs the better but i'm quiet cautious of doing some damage to the grafts after 7 days. Does anyone have any advice from past experience please?
    Hi Scraff. 3 days after your hair transplant you can wash your head normally as the grafts are strong inside your skin. Actually you have to wash well now even twice a day. Don't worry no damage can be done.

Thank you.

Soaked my head in the shower this morning and a lot of the crusts have fell away. I couldn't help but inspect some of the hairs coming away to see if they had roots, but I guess it's hard to know for sure unless they are under a microscope!

Scraff,

Just wash as normal and don't be too soft even if it feels a little weird, the scabs will start to come away over the next few days. A long soak under the shower is the best way, don't pick them if they are not ready to come away yet.

A long soak definitely helps just as much as the shampoo & conditioner. A lot of the scabs are gone now I haven't brushed my hands against the grain of the hair yet though!

I did notice 2-3 hairs that I was slightly concerned about again. Is the bit at the end the root/ is this a lost graft?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	25879  

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

A long soak definitely helps just as much as the shampoo & conditioner. A lot of the scabs are gone now I haven't brushed my hands against the grain of the hair yet though!

I did notice 2-3 hairs that I was slightly concerned about again. Is the bit at the end the root/ is this a lost graft?
    That looks to me like a J hair. It was ready to come out. It's a good idea to gently pull the loose hairs out with tweezers, that are just sitting there. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, have a friend do it or your doctor. Usually some will come out when you scrub your recipient area with shampoo on a wash cloth. Many men are paranoid about doing that. I have to admit, I'm a little bit that way myself. I start scrubbing at day 13. Our surgical techs here at Dr. Coles insist I could try gently scrubbing by day 7. When you tweeze the hairs, they come out like a needle inserted in warm butter. When these hairs hang around, they often cause pimples. Not the end of the world. Sounds like you're doing fine. If you lose a graft, the loss will be accompanied by a steady stream of blood.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    That looks to me like a J hair. It was ready to come out. It's a good idea to gently pull the loose hairs out with tweezers, that are just sitting there. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, have a friend do it or your doctor. Usually some will come out when you scrub your recipient area with shampoo on a wash cloth. Many men are paranoid about doing that. I have to admit, I'm a little bit that way myself. I start scrubbing at day 13. Our surgical techs here at Dr. Coles insist I could try gently scrubbing by day 7. When you tweeze the hairs, they come out like a needle inserted in warm butter. When these hairs hang around, they often cause pimples. Not the end of the world. Sounds like you're doing fine. If you lose a graft, the loss will be accompanied by a steady stream of blood.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Thank you for this a really knowledgable response, I'd not read anything like the above anywhere online so it put my mind at rest.

Whilst scrubbing I did notice that I've not got the same feeling or sensitivity in the recipient area. I wouldn't describe it as completely numb, but when I touch my head it just doesn't feel right, probably somewhere in the region of 50% numbness/ especially in comparison to the areas where I didn't have the surgery on the top of my head. I'm guessing 2500 incisions is fairly traumatic for the scalp, but is this normal 2 weeks post op?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Thank you for this a really knowledgable response, I'd not read anything like the above anywhere online so it put my mind at rest.

Whilst scrubbing I did notice that I've not got the same feeling or sensitivity in the recipient area. I wouldn't describe it as completely numb, but when I touch my head it just doesn't feel right, probably somewhere in the region of 50% numbness/ especially in comparison to the areas where I didn't have the surgery on the top of my head. I'm guessing 2500 incisions is fairly traumatic for the scalp, but is this normal 2 weeks post op?
    You should check with your doctor first because I'm not familiar with FUT timelines (if that's what you had) regarding exercise. Dr. Cole does minimal depth FUE exclusively and by day 8 or so, it's OK to exercise in ways that improve blood flow to the head. Push ups for instance are good as long as your health permits. Increased blood flow over time should expedite the return of sensation to the noggin.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Excellent thanks! I had FUE and I'm 2 weeks out now so went to the gym for a run and some light weights yesterday- hopefully that'll do the trick!