+ Reply to Thread

Default Am i going bald ? Need advice

Hey there guys,

I am 27 years old and I have noticed that some of the hair on the top of my head seems a lot thinner then usual. I took some pictures to get a better idea of what I am dealing with....! Is this the early stages of male pattern baldness? I hope not, if so I would like to treat it early! Just wanted to know what you guys think... should I be worried!? If I am, what can I do about it?

http://oi62.tinypic.com/zu0fm0.jpg
    http://oi60.tinypic.com/k15349.jpg

Thank you so much guys

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hard to say my friend. Your head of hair looks very good. Do NOT WORRY because when you do worry the STRESS created by worrying WILL thin out your hair and cause hair loss ..Thats the truth.
    You may just have a maturing of your hair and thats IT.
    Stick around with us Kuraikpa,,we will all clue you in on FACTS here.
    Cheers

Hey there Artista,

Thanks man, I did have a lot of stress the last couple of months with getting dumbed by my exgirlfriend but I am way better now so the stress level should settle . Will the hair potentially become thicker when the stress is gone ?

I will definitely stick around, here in switzerland there are no forums like that so I am very happy to have found this one

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurapika View Post
    Hey there guys,

I am 27 years old and I have noticed that some of the hair on the top of my head seems a lot thinner then usual. I took some pictures to get a better idea of what I am dealing with....! Is this the early stages of male pattern baldness? I hope not, if so I would like to treat it early! Just wanted to know what you guys think... should I be worried!? If I am, what can I do about it?
    Thank you so much guys
    How is your family history of hair loss? Just to be on the safe side you could begin using minoxidil. Here in the US we have Rogaine brand foam that's non-greasy. Take a look at your diet to make sure you're getting everything you need. Studies indicate that derma rolling enhances the effectiveness of minoxidil.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Looks like very slight thinning which is un-noticalble unless you look closely and are aware of the signs of early MPB.

Before you start to panic it is important to check faily history of MPB, and at what age the males in your family started to lose hair, as this will allow you top better predict your hairline.

MInoxidil is one possible treatment from the "big 3", however the downside with minox is that once you start using it you have to use it everyday for the rest of your life,

An antidandruff shapoo containing ketakonazole such as nizeral is said to contain anti- dht ingredients that slow down hair loss.

The most effective anti hairloss treatment is taking a dailey dose of finastide (works for nearly 9 out of 10 guys), There is a pill called propecia (1 mg finastide) that you can get prescibed from a doctor that is aimed at preventing the progression of MPB, however this can be expensive for many people, so a lot of people use a generic finastide, or cut proscar (5mg prostate drug) into quarters and use that.

If you don't feel totally comfortable about using drugs there are anecdotal reports that the herb Saw Palmetto (360mg) and the supplement beta sitosterols works similar to finastide (propecia) and can help slow down mpb for about 1/2 the people that take it, however, there is not enough scientific evidence to confirm this. You may try using these herb supplements for a couple of years and if you continue to thin then get on the prescription treatments.

I used saw palmetto myself for about 4-5 years before switching to propecia.

Thank you so much guys,

My dad has like pretty thick hair and it seems almost no hair loss at all and he is 54, with my granddad i don't know i have to check that out the next time i see him

I am definitely not yet comfortable taking drugs, I will have a very close eye on how my hair will develop or not :P. For now i will just try to relax, eat very clean and enjoy life, I hope thats enough for me.

Here another picture with a bit better light, there is definitely something going on ....

http://oi60.tinypic.com/34ezyut.jpg

thanks again and I will post a picture in like 6 months

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurapika View Post
    Thank you so much guys,

My dad has like pretty thick hair and it seems almost no hair loss at all and he is 54, with my granddad i don't know i have to check that out the next time i see him

I am definitely not yet comfortable taking drugs, I will have a very close eye on how my hair will develop or not :P. For now i will just try to relax, eat very clean and enjoy life, I hope thats enough for me.

Here another picture with a bit better light, there is definitely something going on ....

http://oi60.tinypic.com/34ezyut.jpg

thanks again and I will post a picture in like 6 months
    Your scalp looks a little pink. One thing to remember is the negative impact lighting can have on the appearance of otherwise thick hair. I have a background in video production and several years ago, I edited together a video of a well known country rock band. The stage lighting made the blonde haired drummer appear as though he had a bald spot in the back. Other shots in normal lighting revealed no hair loss whatsoever.

Avoid sunburn. According to identical twin hair loss studies the worst things for your hair are cigarette smoking, stress and sunburn. Coffee is good for your hair so drink up. Also be careful what medications you take. Some over the counter meds have a side effect of hair loss.

The topical, Rogaine foam can help thicken things up a little. A three-pack is relatively cheap at Walmart and lasts a long time. Most people don't get any side effects from Rogaine.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.