+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude78 View Post
    I took 1 mg every day for about 3 years, and about a year ago I decided to try 0.25 mg every day to save money - Propecia is quite pricey in my country and if you want finasteride Propecia is the only option here. I haven't noticed any difference in shedding what so ever and it's been a little more than a year now. Also, I took 3 weeks break from fin before going back on 0.25 mg, and so far everything is fine.
    Wow, a 3-week break? I would love if I could do this without shedding. I took a 3-day break once and (I don't know if it was my imagination) I thought I was starting to shed!
    If 0.25 mg is as effective as 1 mg, it would be a no-brainer to take the reduced dose both, to save money, and to hopefully reduce the side effects. Maybe I'll talk to my dermatologist about this on my next visit.

Quote Originally Posted by garageland View Post
    I would try a reduced dosage either take less every day or take the usual amount every other day. I have been on fin for 8 years nearly and did take a break for a few months many years back. I noticed that my hair had gotten a little worse in the crown I didn't really notice a difference in anything else performance wise in that dept.

Don't always assume it is the fin maybe other factors are causing this like stress and now the problem is it is on your mind every time and that is not going to help you perform when you are worrying whether you are going to get wood.
    I am trying to find the "sweet spot". That means taking as little finasteride as possible, and still retain my results.

Quote Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
    Wow, a 3-week break? I would love if I could do this without shedding. I took a 3-day break once and (I don't know if it was my imagination) I thought I was starting to shed!
    If 0.25 mg is as effective as 1 mg, it would be a no-brainer to take the reduced dose both, to save money, and to hopefully reduce the side effects. Maybe I'll talk to my dermatologist about this on my next visit.
    It takes a few weeks for your hormones to normalize, so three days should definitely not be a problem, there is a good chance it was just your imagination

You mentioned depression, there is a good chance it has something to do with it and not the finasteride. Are you a person who is easily worried and get anxious easily? I used to be like that and have also struggled with stress and depression and my adrenals took some serious beating. I found meditation plus exercise and making sure I got my supplements to be a big help. Especially ashwagandha and 7-keto to keep my cortisol balanced and supporting my thyroid has been good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude78 View Post
    It takes a few weeks for your hormones to normalize, so three days should definitely not be a problem, there is a good chance it was just your imagination

You mentioned depression, there is a good chance it has something to do with it and not the finasteride. Are you a person who is easily worried and get anxious easily? I used to be like that and have also struggled with stress and depression and my adrenals took some serious beating. I found meditation plus exercise and making sure I got my supplements to be a big help. Especially ashwagandha and 7-keto to keep my cortisol balanced and supporting my thyroid has been good for me.
    Yes, I suffer from depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I think vitamin B complex helped with the depression when I tried it a few years back. I have found nothing that helps anxiety without suffering side effects that are worse than the anxiety itself.

Well, I am uniquely qualified to answer your question as this August will be two years off propecia after being on it for almost 4 years (1mg/day).

You will notice subtle shedding within 4 weeks. Nothing drastic but hairs will start falling off that you hadn't noticed before. Then towards the 3 month mark you start to notice small changes in hair quality. Only you will notice because you'll be looking at your hair uber close. After 6 months you'll be reminded about why you went on propecia in the first place as you'll find hairs on your bathroom floor, sink and around your home. After a year the biggest issue will be hair quality. You will still have the hair but lots will be entering the miniaturizing phase. Keeping hair long will be hard as will styling and you'll have to be creative with styling products. You'll long for the days of having thick healthy looking young hair.

Plus Side - after 3/4 weeks coming off you will feel like a raging bull and will have missed that having that feeling. I woke up one morning with a massive erection and felt very 'primal'...the feeling is unmistakable. Taking the medication definitely suppressed that. The feeling I had that morning is the only reason why I never went back on. I never want to lose that ever again (but I do want my hair back).

GRATITUDE

Now to everyone on propecia!...the one major mistake I made is that when I was on the medication I took it for granted. If you've been on it for a while go in the mirror, pass your hand through your hair and just be so grateful for how good your hair still feels and looks. The day may come when you will need to come off the medication so don't be like me who was never adequately grateful for what it did for me while on it.

And yes, coming off is really hard. I miss looking much younger than my age (i looked noticeable older with wispy, thin hair). Sometimes I even hate being in pictures. But I do feel more masculine and more handsome in a masculine way (if that makes sense). It's a real shame that of all the side effects medication could have this one effects something so deeply important.

Best of luck...whatever you chose will work out great.

I know I will get attacked for saying this. I took Fin for couple of months, and it caused me a lot of issues. I thank god my problem resolved after a month or so after I stopped taking them. I am married, and I realised how important sex was when I had lost the ability for a while. I am pretty confident that they help reduce or stop hair loss. At the same time, they do have side effects for some men, like me. I am not claiming everyone gets these side effects, nevertheless it does happen. For me the scariest part was the fear that after I stopped taking the pills that my sex drive may not return. I believe I got off lucky.

I also realise that many people claim that it is completely psychological. You are entitled to your opinion. However, I tried to keep a very unbiased view on it, and I did try and not let other side effect stories effect me. I can only state my experience. I have had FUE and I use Regaine. I am very pleased with my result. By the way, I only started using Fin after my FUE, hoping to give it a mega boost, which it may or may not have needed. Anyway, that's my experience.

i take fin but i miss days often. sometimes i will go 2-3 weeks with out swallowing a finasteride pill

Quote Originally Posted by kobefan234 View Post
    i take fin but i miss days often. sometimes i will go 2-3 weeks with out swallowing a finasteride pill
    And do you actually keep your hair?

I would imagine missing that many doses would make it a waste of time to take finasteride at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    And do you actually keep your hair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I would imagine missing that many doses would make it a waste of time to take finasteride at all.

i buzzed my hair down to a number 3 all around. Something that is weird to me is when I pick at my sideburn area and pull hairs will come out with white stuff on the ends .