+ Reply to Thread

Default Cannot wait any longer for results from fin, advice needed

I've been using fin for 6 months, 1.25mg daily. I initially experienced a shed, however this was probably due to the fact that I switched from Rogaine solution to foam at the same time. I use the foam atleast twice a day, use Revita daily and dermaroll every 2 weeks.

My hairline has continued to recede at the same rate. My father experienced increasingly aggressive hairloss at my age (20) and this is my one opportunity to stop it from taking hold completely. A number of people have been advising me to give fin another 6 months, however I could have lost a significant amount of hair by that time.

My options seem limited. The only viable way forward appears to be to take 0.5mg dut every 2 or 3 days whilst continuing to take fin and see if this works. If not, I could try taking dut every day and remove fin from my regime completely. Part of me wonders if the fin I am taking is even legit, however I bought it from a reputable source (Dr Singh) so adding dut seems all the more necessary.

I am desperate for opinions as this is a critical stage in my attempts to slow my hairloss.

Didn't you post a while back asking if someone could test your Fin? Have you ruled out the possibility that your Fin is fake? You should really just go to a doctor and get generic proscar prescribed. My 8 pills a month that I cut into 4ths is just over 5 bucks a month at a legit pharmacy in person. My insurance doesn't pay for it because its cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Didn't you post a while back asking if someone could test your Fin? Have you ruled out the possibility that your Fin is fake? You should really just go to a doctor and get generic proscar prescribed. My 8 pills a month that I cut into 4ths is just over 5 bucks a month at a legit pharmacy in person. My insurance doesn't pay for it because its cosmetic.
    I did but realistically it was bought from a respected source. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name but it was a UK-based site that recently shut down as the doctor operating it fell ill. Spex trusted the site, as did many forum members. As such, it is unlikely that this why I'm not seeing results.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    I've been using fin for 6 months, 1.25mg daily. I initially experienced a shed, however this was probably due to the fact that I switched from Rogaine solution to foam at the same time. I use the foam atleast twice a day, use Revita daily and dermaroll every 2 weeks.

My hairline has continued to recede at the same rate. My father experienced increasingly aggressive hairloss at my age (20) and this is my one opportunity to stop it from taking hold completely. A number of people have been advising me to give fin another 6 months, however I could have lost a significant amount of hair by that time.

My options seem limited. The only viable way forward appears to be to take 0.5mg dut every 2 or 3 days whilst continuing to take fin and see if this works. If not, I could try taking dut every day and remove fin from my regime completely. Part of me wonders if the fin I am taking is even legit, however I bought it from a reputable source (Dr Singh) so adding dut seems all the more necessary.

I am desperate for opinions as this is a critical stage in my attempts to slow my hairloss.
    I experienced aggressive hair loss at 20 as well. For me It was like having life fast forwarded to old age... 40 40 did seemed old then, come to think of it, 30 seemed old.

It isn't going to hurt to try different things as long as they're safe and you don't go overboard. Remember, just because hair sheds, it doesn't mean it's lost forever. When I was your age, there were no recognized effective treatments. A dermatologist once prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5% for me. It actually helped a little.

Today one hair loss related theory is, PGD2 blocks platelet growth factors, the hair withers and then the immune system targets the damaged follicles for destruction. Hydrocortisone is an immunosuppressant, so it makes sense that it would help a little. I mentioned in another thread that Cordran SP, another immunosuppressant has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Working here at Dr. Cole's office, I meet a lot of guys come through our office for consultations concerned with their hair loss. Without a formal identical twin study or before and after photos, It's difficult to evaluate the various treatments.

Dr. Bernstein has some very encouraging before and after, one year photos of men taking Propecia (finasteride).

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 04-23-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I experienced aggressive hair loss at 20 as well. For me It was like having life fast forwarded to old age... 40 40 did seemed old then, come to think of it, 30 seemed old.

It isn't going to hurt to try different things as long as they're safe and you don't go overboard. Remember, just because hair sheds, it doesn't mean it's lost forever. When I was your age, there were no recognized effective treatments. A dermatologist once prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5% for me. It actually helped a little.

Today one hair loss related theory is, PGD2 blocks platelet growth factors, the hair withers and then the immune system targets the damaged follicles for destruction. Hydrocortisone is an immunosuppressant, so it makes sense that it would help a little. I mentioned in another thread that Cordran SP, another immunosuppressant has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Working here at Dr. Cole's office, I meet a lot of guys come through our office for consultations concerned with their hair loss. Without a formal identical twin study or before and after photos, It's difficult to evaluate the various treatments.

Dr. Bernstein has some very encouraging before and after, one year photos of men taking Propecia (finasteride).

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The thing is, I'm not even necessarily shedding much, my hairline is just receding. Having taken fin 1.25mg for 6 months now, I'm still tempted to add a little dut to my regime.

It isn't going to hurt to try different things as long as they're safe and you don't go overboard.
    In this case, it might actually hurt to try a little dut in my regime as a member of a different forum told me that you are twice as likely to experience side effects when using both fin and dut than when using one or the other. As such, I may have to drop fin altogether and try dut.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    In this case, it might actually hurt to try a little dut in my regime as a member of a different forum told me that you are twice as likely to experience side effects when using both fin and dut than when using one or the other. As such, I may have to drop fin altogether and try dut.
    If you begin to get sides, gradually cut back on the dutasteride and see if you can tolerate it at all with the finasteride. One of our patients began with Propecia and later dropped it for Avodart. He has used Avodart for the last 8 years. His hair looks great and he responded very well to ACell/PRP treatments.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

If you begin to get sides, gradually cut back on the dutasteride and see if you can tolerate it at all with the finasteride. One of our patients began with Propecia and later dropped it for Avodart. He has used Avodart for the last 8 years. His hair looks great and he responded very well to ACell/PRP treatments.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    So starting by taking 0.5mg dut twice a week and 1.25mg fin on the remaining 5 days might be a good place to start?