+ Reply to Thread

Default Scared to use RU

Hi guys, I recently purchased some RU after reading about it on this forum and a few other sites. I was ready to start using it until I started reading about guys having serious shedding, lasting months, and shedding "phases" where the shedding comes and goes. I am well aware of the typical shedding that occurs with minoxidil use, but this sounded extreme. There is no way I could mentally and emotionally handle significant thinning of my hair at this point in my life. I am very hesitant to use it now, although it sounds like it could definitely help. I would like to hear other users accounts of their shedding experience, or if they experienced any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by simco84 View Post
    Hi guys, I recently purchased some RU after reading about it on this forum and a few other sites. I was ready to start using it until I started reading about guys having serious shedding, lasting months, and shedding "phases" where the shedding comes and goes. I am well aware of the typical shedding that occurs with minoxidil use, but this sounded extreme. There is no way I could mentally and emotionally handle significant thinning of my hair at this point in my life. I am very hesitant to use it now, although it sounds like it could definitely help. I would like to hear other users accounts of their shedding experience, or if they experienced any at all.
    Shedding is usually a sign the drug is working. Fin and minox cause major shedding too but the hair grows back if you stay on them. When I read the title I thought your fear was based off the fact there has been no long term studies on RU and how it plays a role on our body. My biggest fear and the reason why I'll never touch that synthetic drug is because what if it causes cancer? So many men are eager to put anything on the scalp of their hair if it saves a few strands completely neglecting safety. I guess that is desperation for you.

I also have fears concerning RU, there is not telling what it can do in the future and it has not even been proven to show consistent results to merit the leap of faith but each to there own. I was once against the use of minox and you know what, I tried it recently and realised my fears were completely unwarranted I have not experienced any sides at all but its much too early to gauge the results.

If you are willing to try RU then you are free to do so.
    Generally speaking "shedding" is said to be a good thing in the long run.
    It sounds like you are very concerned, much to the same as minox, no one can guarantee how one would personally react to any treatment especially given such an experimental treatment.
    I have seen some really great results from the use of concealers however once the hairline goes then concealers will not help you, so while you are using RU you could temporarily use a concealer to mask your shedding and continue to us RU in the meantime.

I guess I could put it this way, worst case scenario, you shed and never recover and then a few years later you learn that RU had come with other health implications.
    Best case scenario, you begin growing a few hairs on your head which may/may not be considered visually sufficient.

Once you begin losing your hair you are pretty much at the mercy of every scumbag snake oil salesman the world has to offer so be very careful who you take advice from or read.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Bear View Post
    I also have fears concerning RU, there is not telling what it can do in the future and it has not even been proven to show consistent results to merit the leap of faith but each to there own. I was once against the use of minox and you know what, I tried it recently and realised my fears were completely unwarranted I have not experienced any sides at all but its much too early to gauge the results.

If you are willing to try RU then you are free to do so.
    Generally speaking "shedding" is said to be a good thing in the long run.
    It sounds like you are very concerned, much to the same as minox, no one can guarantee how one would personally react to any treatment especially given such an experimental treatment.
    I have seen some really great results from the use of concealers however once the hairline goes then concealers will not help you, so while you are using RU you could temporarily use a concealer to mask your shedding and continue to us RU in the meantime.

I guess I could put it this way, worst case scenario, you shed and never recover and then a few years later you learn that RU had come with other health implications.
    Best case scenario, you begin growing a few hairs on your head which may/may not be considered visually sufficient.

Once you begin losing your hair you are pretty much at the mercy of every scumbag snake oil salesman the world has to offer so be very careful who you take advice from or read.

Best of luck.
    Interesting, I just posted on another Forum that I was experiencing a major shed on RU after I increased from 100mg/day to 125mg/day. Could be a coincidence obviously, I have no idea if the RU is involved or not.

This is the first big shed i have seen on RU since I started 11 months ago. Very discouraging. Hope it comes back.