+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by breakbot View Post
    Do you expect by crying all these ''worthless'' scientists will provide a cure sooner?
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    What do you think?
    I think that they aren't interested about your posts or mine.

I think that they aren't interested about your posts or mine.
    Which makes me wonder.... what are the researchers actually doing with the grant money that they're given from the public's taxes?

Which makes me wonder.... what are the researchers actually doing with the grant money that they're given from the public's taxes?
    Research is the answer, there is no time limit for that.

Research is the answer, there is no time limit for that.
    So I wasn't far off when I said that the longer they take, the longer they get to have a job? It's like they purposely stagnate progress just to keep themselves employed.

Shouldn't there be some kind of agreement on the grant money being handed out, that only so much will be given based on performance and actual results? They basically have an endless supply of money coming in to do jack shit for '2-5 years'.

So I wasn't far off when I said that the longer they take, the longer they get to have a job?
    All who gain power are afraid to lose it.

I really dont think there is some great conspiracy. Its very time consuming and really complicated. A study finds some piece of the puzzle and its not much help with really solving anything so it takes many years to get anything of value and then you need big pharma to actually make something concrete out of it. It takes that kind of money these days which means there has to be big rewards for it. If it all doesnt work out then nothing happens. I mean that pgd2 thing there are studies on that with like 10 areas of further research. We could spend decades going down all those rabbit holes and it could all lead to nothing. Its that hard to do and its expensive/time consuming. Its not at all amazing MPB is not cured its just not an easy problem
    If all the people wasting money on snake oil bought rogain and propecia to show big sales that would motivate them more then anything to get after better treatments. Why make a topical androgen inhibitor when half of balding men dont even buy the propecia already out? I can see there logic there is more money in acne

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Its not at all amazing MPB is not cured its just not an easy problem
    If baldness affected women to the same degree it did with men, as in, horseshoe pattern in their twenties... we'd cure baldness in a year.

If all the people wasting money on snake oil bought rogain and propecia to show big sales that would motivate them more then anything to get after better treatments. Why make a topical androgen inhibitor when half of balding men dont even buy the propecia already out? I can see there logic there is more money in acne
    I think there are a number of reasons that men don't explore serious options against hair loss. I guarantee you though, that the majority of men who DO experience hair loss will first go out and buy snake oil shampoos... anything that has a label with something that says 'promotes hair growth' or whatever bullshit. So, immediately they'll be fooled into thinking its an easy solution. They'll see its not working and won't ask questions or explore other options. Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

The other MAJOR problem is that seeking treatment is taboo.

If you're a balding man, it's basically an open invitation to public humiliation, criticism, etc. Society has deemed male pattern baldness as hysterical, so anything you do to fight it will be seen as weak and pathetic as well as being frowned upon. So you can't really be open about it because its embarassing and doing so will basically tell people 'yes, i know im balding, im trying to fight it'. Switch gender roles and you'll get overwhelmed with sympathy. A balding man is funny but a balding woman is tragic. Makes no ****en sense at all.

So is it surprising that not only are the working products difficult to get past the snake oil bullshit and when you do get around to them you're ridiculed for doing anything about it? It's like everyone wants us to keep balding and STAY bald. Keep us gimped and let them have all the spoils in life; get more attractive women, be more respected by others, better prospects in jobs, etc.

It's a social problem in my view... one that I blame squarely on society and perhaps the blame lay more so in men as:

a) men ridicule themselves for balding
    b) men have never done a great job to unite and take a stand against the publics perceptions of baldness
    c) men have clearly put womens health as a higher priority than their own; on average women live longer than men by about 6 years!

Ultimately its our responsibility to cure ourselves from this disease... we rarely get empathy and sympathy is even more difficult to get.

Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

If you're a balding man, it's basically an open invitation to public humiliation, criticism, etc. Society has deemed male pattern baldness as hysterical, so anything you do to fight it will be seen as weak and pathetic as well as being frowned upon. So you can't really be open about it because its embarassing and doing so will basically tell people 'yes, i know im balding, im trying to fight it'. Switch gender roles and you'll get overwhelmed with sympathy. A balding man is funny but a balding woman is tragic. Makes no ****en sense at all.

So is it surprising that not only are the working products difficult to get past the snake oil bullshit and when you do get around to them you're ridiculed for doing anything about it? It's like everyone wants us to keep balding and STAY bald. Keep us gimped and let them have all the spoils in life; get more attractive women, be more respected by others, better prospects in jobs, etc.

It's a social problem in my view... one that I blame squarely on society and perhaps the blame lay more so in men as:

b) men have never done a great job to unite and take a stand against the publics perceptions of baldness
    c) men have clearly put womens health as a higher priority than their own; on average women live longer than men by about 6 years!

Ultimately its our responsibility to cure ourselves from this disease... we rarely get empathy and sympathy is even more difficult to get.
    Damn, strong post. 100% agree.

If baldness affected women to the same degree it did with men, as in, horseshoe pattern in their twenties... we'd cure baldness in a year.

I think there are a number of reasons that men don't explore serious options against hair loss. I guarantee you though, that the majority of men who DO experience hair loss will first go out and buy snake oil shampoos... anything that has a label with something that says 'promotes hair growth' or whatever bullshit. So, immediately they'll be fooled into thinking its an easy solution. They'll see its not working and won't ask questions or explore other options. Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

Second that.
    Most individuals think baldness is something you should cope with acritically, no question. And they expect you to laugh about it, too!

The moment a cure will be out, you will see them look at you asking "What are you waiting for? Go get cured".