+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 9 and a half months on Finasteride...

I have now been on finasteride 9 and a half months. Still losing hairs and shedding, cannot notice any significant regrowth, think my hair has maybe gotten worse. I feel like giving up now, think i will. Feel helpless now, don't know what i can do. I always imagined that by the 9 month mark I would have significant hair growth and would be happy. This is having a huge psychological effect on me. I literally have never missed a dose of finasteride,i take it religiously every day. And still no improvement. I guess its just not working for me. I feel like giving up. I need some advice guys, please. I'm desperate. I am only 20 years of age.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm 19 and I can see my hair thinning on my temple. On top of a load of other crap, this had to come along and make me feel like my life is destined to go nowhere. I feel like slitting my wrists! I guess it's best to do anything you can... Have you tried anything else with the fin? Like nizoral shampoo (I think that's how you spell it).

Also... Remember that it can take some time for fin to work.

Stay strong I know it can seem like the worst thing ever

Took me about 12 months to see any "Regrowth" I was happy just to stop the hair loss. nizoral would be good to add. I would start out once a week then increase to 2-3 times a week over a few weeks. I always use a good conditioner after. Right now I use Hair cycle shampoo and conditioner with nizoral 2-3 times a week.

Sometimes you don't know something is working till you stop.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Took me about 12 months to see any "Regrowth" I was happy just to stop the hair loss. nizoral would be good to add. I would start out once a week then increase to 2-3 times a week over a few weeks. I always use a good conditioner after. Right now I use Hair cycle shampoo and conditioner with nizoral 2-3 times a week.

The effectiveness of Propecia is often difficult to track. Sometimes where there doesn't seem to be much improvement, Propecia may just be holding back major thinning.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

EXACTLY, Chuck!
    My GP explained to me prior to my using Finasteride, that ALL of his patients that he has prescribed Fin' to, has experienced positive results.
    Some very MINOR (probably like what you had described Chuck) and then some are very MAJOR and ongoing results.

Ive been on Finasteride for almost 9 months now.
    Looking at my photos taken just prior to taking Finasteride (that day) I was surprised at just how positive it has been for my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Forgot to mention, i've been using Nizoral shampoo and regaine for 9 and a half months aswell. Maybe ye are right guys, maybe there is a positive impact on my hair. It just seems difficult for me to think there is a positive impact when i can still see hairs coming out when i apply hair gel, regaine etc...I thought finasteride is supposed to stop hair loss after 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    Forgot to mention, i've been using Nizoral shampoo and regaine for 9 and a half months aswell. Maybe ye are right guys, maybe there is a positive impact on my hair. It just seems difficult for me to think there is a positive impact when i can still see hairs coming out when i apply hair gel, regaine etc...I thought finasteride is supposed to stop hair loss after 9 months.
    you're already in for the long haul, giving up will only make things worse.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

I agree with Redy .
    Townie, stick with it. Wait until you have hit the one year mark before you consider stopping.
    Positive results and its time-frames vary with everyone.
    Who knows, you might be within that % of patients on Finasteride that will see positive improvements after the one year mark.
    You might start seeing better results at or before the one year mark too.
    The best thing that you can do for yourself is to NOT focus so much on it.
    Take your med as one would taking a multivitamin, take it daily and then DON'T think of it.
    Thats what I have been doing. It was just recently that I decided to compare my scalp to the photos taken just before starting Finasteride (9 months ago).
    I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    It was just recently that I decided to compare my scalp to the photos taken just before starting Finasteride (9 months ago).
    I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the difference.
    In my opinion this is the only problem with this advice - difference in age - at his (and my age) this at least feels like a life or death problem and we are analyzing our hair every 50 seconds or so. If I could think to myself "hey, if it gets better it gets better, if not, then so be it" and not be flat out lying to myself, I would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    In my opinion this is the only problem with this advice - difference in age - at his (and my age) this at least feels like a life or death problem and we are analyzing our hair every 50 seconds or so. If I could think to myself "hey, if it gets better it gets better, if not, then so be it" and not be flat out lying to myself, I would love it.
    I feel ya on that one brother...It's like life is in limbo until our loss is stabilized.

I dunno about you guys, but it isn't so much the aesthetic hits taken by a receding hairline or loss in density, its the fact the loss WONT STOP and there seems nothing to indicate it will.

I rather be a nw 2.75 thats loss is halted than a nw1.5 that is losing and unsure what the future holds