+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't think it has anything to do with timing. The hair at the front of the hair line is highly sensitive to DHT. That's why many men who don't ever become bald still recede in their hair line to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with timing. The hair at the front of the hair line is highly sensitive to DHT. That's why many men who don't ever become bald still recede in their hair line to some degree.
    I did agree to that but no one seems to know why the hair at the sides is completely dht resistant. Of course time plays a role it's why if you're a nw6 for 10 years and decide to use fin you probably won't have any success. Idon't think we understand hair loss at all. So many blind alleys. It's all just really interesting. When you say some men recede they still are balding. Some men just go bald slower than others. Some men develop wrinkles slower just genetics I think. In my opinion it's gotta be more than just dht. I caught my hair loss early and my temples have been filling in and I'm just putting out the theory. I wonder if most men started fin when there hairline started receding would we consider fin to be as effective on the front as it is on the back. You probably are right but there are people who seem to do ridiculously well on fin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mribby1 View Post
    I did agree to that but no one seems to know why the hair at the sides is completely dht resistant. Of course time plays a role it's why if you're a nw6 for 10 years and decide to use fin you probably won't have any success. Idon't think we understand hair loss at all. So many blind alleys. It's all just really interesting. When you say some men recede they still are balding. Some men just go bald slower than others. Some men develop wrinkles slower just genetics I think. In my opinion it's gotta be more than just dht. I caught my hair loss early and my temples have been filling in and I'm just putting out the theory. I wonder if most men started fin when there hairline started receding would we consider fin to be as effective on the front as it is on the back. You probably are right but there are people who seem to do ridiculously well on fin.
    Some men recede slightly in their hairline and never go bald. There is a difference between progressive baldness and hairline changes that occur in adulthood. Look at Mitt Romney, as an example. He's certainly not balding but his hairline has retreated since his youth.

Are there any studies that prove that??

I mean someone with NO mpb gene whatsoever still isn't going to retain a juvenile hairline and density for life, and that isn't necessarily due to damage done by DHT, but rather hair loss related to other reasons associated with old age.

Also those bald guys whose crown gets obliterated yet they have that patch at the front.

Not sure if they've done tests are sclap biopsies that show increased ARs, increases 5artype2 etc but I've never seen them.

You catch it before the damage starts and you have the same chance of saving your front hair as the rest...but you wait till you start receding in the temples and the chance goes down IMO

Some men recede slightly in their hairline and never go bald. There is a difference between progressive baldness and hairline changes that occur in adulthood. Look at Mitt Romney, as an example. He's certainly not balding but his hairline has retreated since his youth.
    I understand that but the concept of a mature hairline is still baldness to me. There are plenty of men who retain their juvenile hairline up into their 50s like my mum's brother. On the subject of Mitt Romney who knows what kind of treatments he's been using. He's a man with a lot of money he could also be on some form of treatment to maintain his head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mribby1 View Post
    I understand that but the concept of a mature hairline is still baldness to me. There are plenty of men who retain their juvenile hairline up into their 50s like my mum's brother. On the subject of Mitt Romney who knows what kind of treatments he's been using. He's a man with a lot of money he could also be on some form of treatment to maintain his head of hair.
    Under 5% of Caucasian men retain a juvenile hair line into old age. This obsession with looking like a prepubescent child is unhealthy.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Under 5% of Caucasian men retain a juvenile hair line into old age. This obsession with looking like a prepubescent child is unhealthy.
    When I was 14, I had that sinking feeling the day I noticed my hairline receded about a quarter of an inch. I thought I was going bald. Although I actually was, the recession stayed put and my hair just thinned out all over. To make matters worse, at that time there were no effective treatments. There were rumors that pioneer doctors were helping out some celebrities planting 4mm plugs. Some help!!!

Younger men also have it a little easier in 2014 because short hair is now an acceptable style and longer styles are often referred to as "old man hair". When I was in my twenties, short hair on a young guy was considered unusual.

When I was young, I tried to think creatively. At around 15, I considered the reality that women don't usually lose hair. I wondered if rubbing estrogen into my scalp would help. Never tried it because I didn't have access to it. Still wonder if derma rolling estrogen would benefit hair growth in men with MPB or would you just grow a set of double D's?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Anyway the initial discussion wasn't related to a mature hairline,