• Show
Clear All
  • lizard5781
    • Aug 2009

Non Surgical Hair Replacement vs Surgical vs Shaved Head

no longer available
  • River
    • Mar 2009

In my opinion, hair systems are easy to detect and generally look fake. This is because, among other things, it is not natural to see a 40 year old man with a full head of highly dense hair.

Hair systems also have high maintenance costs, can be uncomfortable to wear, and may actually make hair loss worse by causing traction alopecia.

Despite your common sense assertion that drugs such as Propecia don't really work very well, my experience has been positive. I started taking propecia 7 months ago, and my bald spot has completely disappeared. Don't get me wrong, the density isn't 100%, but I have gone from a nw3 situation to a nw2 situation. I also have a bunch of new hairs on my hairline, and visibly higher density throughout my hair.

I don't really know that much about hair transplants except to say that well done transplants are impressive, and much more natural looking than hair systems.

Comment

• lizard5781
      • Aug 2009

this forum is removed

Comment

• Toplace
        • Sep 2009

Hair Replacement Systems are undetectable

Hi River,
        You only notice a bad hair system--not the good ones. There are a lot of bad systems out there but the good ones are truly undetectable. The lace bases just disappear on the scalp and the hair looks like it's growing right out of your scalp. You can't tell it's a hair system. You are right about traction alopecia. Attaching with clips causes stress on your existing hair and results in traction alopecia. Toplace does not recommend attaching with clips--only glue or tape. And you're also right about high maintenance costs. Hair Club wants everyone to sign a contract for monthly maintenance and this can run into several hundred dollars each month. But there's nothing magical about maintenance. Learn to do it yourself and save a bundle. The cost of supplies (tape, glue and lace remover/91% rubbing alcohol) is nominal and learing to do your own maintenance is quick and easy.
        Regards,
        John
        Toplace

Comment

• Lorne
          • Aug 2009

Hello Lizard

Hi Lizard, I've taken the liberty of writing after reading your comments about hair pieces. May I take a moment to share with you?
          I had three excellent hair transplant in the early 90's. My crown is thinning pretty badly and shaving my head is not an option because of extensive scarring. Keeping it the way it is looks bad. I thought of having scar repair surgery.
          I was reading a journal article written by one of the HT physicians who is very respected and highly regarded in the field for his speciality work. He refers to a case study of a man with extensive HT scarring (like mine) for whom scar repair is not an option.
          Among the physician's recommendations is a hair piece. When I realized that I might be in the same position, this the daylights out of scared me. I would appreciate your feedback. What advice can you give, and if it came down to getting a hair piece, how would I know who is the best to have it done with? (travel is no problem).
          Thank you for any help you can offer. regards,
          Lorne

Comment

• lizard5781
            • Aug 2009

[no longer available

Comment

• Toplace
              • Sep 2009

Lizard is right--the hairline is key. If not done properly you get the 'doll's hair' effect. And if you get a French lace base or Super Fine Swiss lace base (state of the art bases) they virtually disappear on the scalp. This allows you so show some scalp and this provides the realism that everyone wants. Some companies still use the old-fashioned fine mono bases which are thicker and do not disappear on the scalp--avoid these. Go with a French lace base or a Super Fine Swiss lace base and the hair will look just like it's growing out of your scalp.
              Regards,
              John
              TopLace

Comment

• Lorne
                • Aug 2009

Hello Lizard and John,
                A short note to say many thanks for your informative responses. I really appreciated you taking the time to share your feedback. Very helpful. Keep up the good work.
                best,
                Lorne

Comment

• NotBadhairUK
                  • Mar 2009

I agree with that some guys will have no other option than to wear a hair piece without shaving there heads.

I wore a hair piece when I was just 23! It cost a few £thousand and it was not a cheap one. This was a long time ago around 1995. I would have thought things have come a long way since but this one was aweful... having to re-glue my hair on felt so humiliating.

The company I went to was called HDC (Hair Design Clinic) I just want to warn anyone from London UK to stear clear of them.. they are very clever at marketing this hair piece, making this sound fabulous calling it 'liquid skin' but the actual quality is extremely poor.

I am certain there are some extremely good places around but this isnt one I would recommend.

I wish you all the best guys...I'm sure there are many well known actors and actresses out there that wear one and we have never even realised it.

John Travolta is one I can think of.

For me though, I wasnt comfortable in mine and was fortunate to have a very successfull ht that I feel I am ME again for the 1st time in over a decade. I have dealt with both sides of the coin on this and I know how it feels like to go through emotionaly, so I wish you all the best with your own decisions.

Take care

Comment

• Laserhead
                    • Nov 2008

After wasting much of my savings on laser crap, I am now back in the position to think about what I’m going to do next about my hair. Do $200 hair pieces really look as good as the ones actors like John Travolta use? How much does the maintenance cost per month and will people be able to tell up close?

Comment

• NotBadhairUK
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by wigsmanufacturer
                      funky wigs are very popular in the market nowadays.
                      Haha... who with circus clowns?

...even the men's wigs look appalling!

Even worse than the one I used to wear 15 years ago!

Comment

• BigCityJames
                        • Dec 2009

Replacements Vs. Shaved head

A hasty,poorly planned decision in 1992 sealed my fate when it comes to this decision-(shave,or replacement) You see, me along with many others rushed into the transplant route and was immediately disappointed with the results. This left me no other choice but to go the hair replacement route.
                        Although I have been "wearing hair" for 17 years, there is not a day that goes by where I don't wish I could just shave my head, grow an edgy goutee, and be free-but I have those scars to remnind me of that fateful day. Obviously, I have adjusted to wearing a replacement(and they are damn good now) results in lifestyle and even personality changes. It is hard to explain unless you have been there. There is no doubt in my mind my life would have been different had I not chose to get transplants. I still would have continued to recede, I still would have been "me", but I lost the abilityto have the option to shave if I chose to. That alone would have been a very liberating experience.

Big CityJames

Comment

• BigCityJames
                          • Dec 2009

Homeless guys

Originally posted by lizard5781
                          Thanks for your response. I'm glad to see that Propecia has worked for you and hopefully it solves your balding concerns. In terms of systems,I agree a lot of them look fake, however there are many people who use them who you will not be able to tell,and youll be shocked, both for men and women. My system is not high density and is cut short and stylish to reveal the hairline. A lot of 40 year olds still have thick hair as well, that is a misconception., I actually saw a homeless guy last week, older gentleman with a hairline in the middle of his forehead, thick grey hair, and obviously very greasy. In terms, of hair transplants, you can spot them as well, same as hair systems and with the good ones, u must risk surgery/scars to get it. I find them to usually look barbie doll like and whispy, if it makes a guy confident than kudos to him. I still believe that a good hair system is the only way to actually get your hair back, otherwise just shave it bald, but if it doesn't look stylish, foget bout it!
                          Hey Lizard5781-Spencer has an interesting theory on homeless guys with great heads of hair. It is actually commonplace. You rarely see any bald cavemen as well.(at least the way they are depicted on the Geico commercials lol) I think there is a link to the excess sebum on trhe scalp that saves the hair shaft???Just a guess.

Comment

• lizard5781
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BigCityJames
                            Hey Lizard5781-Spencer has an interesting theory on homeless guys with great heads of hair. It is actually commonplace. You rarely see any bald cavemen as well.(at least the way they are depicted on the Geico commercials lol) I think there is a link to the excess sebum on trhe scalp that saves the hair shaft???Just a guess.
                            LOL BigCityJames.....i gotta check that out.....mabye this could be a future cure for baldness and in the presentation we could show footage of thick haired street bums around the world, hahaha.

Comment

• atoz
                              • Feb 2010

Non surgical hair transplant

I think you could also use a non surgical hair transplant in which they make a modified wig using natural hairs (of some one else ofcourse) and fix it on your head, it also looks natural if you make your hair style with caution. You may shave your head or you may not, up to you. But its a good alternative. Or try out the laser treatment, its also effective.

Comment

Working...