+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Guy, Receding Hair Line

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum on and off for the past year or so. I figured it was time to join!

I am 26 years old and have a receding hair line, although I may also have a thinning crown area too, dang! I understand hair loss comes from the moms side of the family?

My dad and older brother have my hair line although mine seems a bit more extreme at my age and i'm 4 years younger than my brother. My dad has all of his hair besides the receded hairline, he's 61.

My hair started thinning at the temple area when I got out of high school. I was always very blonde in that area growing up and as I got older it darkened but was always lighter colored in those areas.

I've attached a photo that has all of our hairlines in it. My brother is lower left, i'm lower right and my dad is standing at the top.

I really hate my hairline in most photos because the blonder hairs in the thinning areas never show up. I've also attached another photo of my hair.

So what can I do? I've thought about hair transplant as that seems like the only way to fix a receding hairline. Cost is an issue but I'm sure I could save up for it. I'm also getting a theradome to try out for a blog that I own although I don't think it's going to regrow hair at my hairline.

Thanks for reading!
    J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair2.jpg

Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	25626   Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline.jpg

Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	25627  

How bad on the norwood scale are you sir?

I would say between 2 or 3 probably. My head is slim making it appear worse (at least in my mind).

If you are the guy in the picture to the left in the white shirt I would say you are a NW3 approaching NW4. Are you on any treatments? Even if you are considering a transplant, you should see what treatments can do for you first.

Yes, that is me in the photos. I am not on any existing treatments nor have I ever brought up my hair with a doctor before. I've read about some of the medications but the side effects didn't sound so great.

Quote Originally Posted by av8tor View Post
    Yes, that is me in the photos. I am not on any existing treatments nor have I ever brought up my hair with a doctor before. I've read about some of the medications but the side effects didn't sound so great.
    I had the same concerns that many around here have about side effects. I have been buzzing my head for years and was unsatisfied with my hair, but able to live my life with the way it was. I was caught by surprise last summer with how bad it had become. I immediately started on minoxidil, and a month later started on fin. I would say if you can deal with losing your hair, then just let it go and stay of sites like this. If you can't then there are only 2 things that will work: finasteride and minoxidil. I would say at least give minoxidil a try, but if you really want to give yourself a chance to possibly regrow a good amount of your hair then finasteride is your best bet. I am not saying to just start popping pills. You should be concerned about any drug you are taking. There are clinical studies that you can read, you can speak to your doctor about fin, just like I did. Just do your best to base your decision on reliable information.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was under the impression that Fin and minoxidil only work for MPB and won't help a receding hairline? Maybe I have MPB and don't realize it yet.

I would say you do have MPB. But you can see your Dr. to be sure.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi Av8tor, Check with your doctor and try out Finasteride , either generic or brand name. It doesn't matter ,,,that medication has GOOD results for many of us patients.
    Me included!
    Ive been on Fin' for 9 months now,,it is GREAT. Hair loss has stopped.. i see POSITIVE regrowth happening.. good luck!

I realize people tend to voice their opinions more when they have issues with things but there sure are a lot of negative comments on Fin. A lot of them creep me out.

I wonder what the actual percentage is of those that have side effects with the drug?