+ Reply to Thread

Default What is hair doubling?

I was reading a few threads on the forum and people were saying that they had it done, and their hair was multiplied through this doubling process...

Anyone want to give me some clarification on what hair doubling is?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randomb View Post
    I was reading a few threads on the forum and people were saying that they had it done, and their hair was multiplied through this doubling process...

Anyone want to give me some clarification on what hair doubling is?
    I believe there are a lot of variations while doctors are reporting different degrees of success. First do a Google search and you will see there's quite a bit of information to sift through.

Many doctors and researchers believe that extracellular matrix will continue to play a major role in follicle doubling. Extracellular matrix exists between the cells of soft tissue. The company ACell, manufactures an extracellular matrix replacement product from pig's bladder. In the body, extracellular matrix serves as a cell scaffolding kind of like 2x4 stud framing on a house that supports the sheetrock, siding, etc. ACell slipped through the FDA door as a medical device of all things, but it's now known to serve a far more complex and important purpose in the body than that. It's full purpose and activity isn't fully understood, but beyond it being like a scaffolding, it is now known to serve as a cell communication medium.

One Way ACell is Currently Used During FUE Hair Transplant Surgery:
    When you extract an FUE graft, you also remove the native extracellular matrix. Cell communication is diminished or even cut off and the body loses track of what is supposed to be in the extraction site. When the body can't remodel tissue, it goes with the generic "filler" we all recognize as scar tissue. When ACell powder is mixed with hyaluronic acid and placed in the FUE extraction sites, the cell "scaffolding" and cell communication is improved. When the body has a better idea of what is supposed to be where the follicle once was, remodeling occurs to varying degrees. In some cases hair follicles regenerate. Improving on the follicle regeneration rate will at least improve the appearance of donor areas by reducing the degree of donor thinning.

Dr. Nigam for instance claims 100% donor follicle regeneration. Dr. Mwamba in Belgium is currently investigating this. Not sure where this 100% claim stands at this point in time but I'm skeptical. Not that I don't think it's possible, I just haven't seen any convincing evidence of that degree of follicle regeneration.

To put things in perspective, the US military is working with ACell to expand its effectiveness to possibly include regeneration of missing limbs.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Sounds very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

So after hearing that, I have some questions... is this something men can actually go and get done if they wanted?

Is the regeneration reported as thick as the previous hair?

In theory if you can get regeneration does this mean you can continuously keep adding hair follicles to your scalp?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randomb View Post
    Sounds very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
    So after hearing that, I have some questions... is this something men can actually go and get done if they wanted?
    Yes, but ACell brand extracellular matrix is only sold to physicians in the US. There may be some other brands of extracellular matrix available in Europe and elsewhere. ACell provides the best benefit when used with minimal depth FUE.

Is the regeneration reported as thick as the previous hair?
    The hair caliber appears about the same but a removed multiple hair follicular unit usually regrows only a variable percentage of the original number of hairs in the donor extraction sites. With regards to the recipient areas, ACell improves the yield of beard hair by around 30%, up from 60% to 90%.

In theory if you can get regeneration does this mean you can continuously keep adding hair follicles to your scalp?
    At best today (April, 2014), ACell used with PRP preserves existing donor hair and reduces the probability/incidence of hypopigmented scars (white dots) at the extraction sites. This technology will improve unless it's eclipsed by a flat-out cure for Male Pattern Baldness.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

So.. acell hair transplants have the potential to create a large amount of donor hair? I really need to educate myself on this stuff lol

Cause.. even if you have small regeneration, you've upped the amount of hair on your head regardless?