+ Reply to Thread

Default On Fin: Temple regrowth AND diffuse loss at the same time?

Hey guys. I've been on fin for just over 9 months and I am seeing signs of regrowth at my temples. The corners have filled in with fairly dense vellus hairs.. and new terminal hairs are sprouting up alone the hairline. I'm thinking that these vellus hairs will start becoming pigmented within the next few growth cycles, since they are fairly long.

HOWEVER within the past few months my hair on top and even on the sides seems to have thinned out diffusely. How does that even make sense? Seeing as the hairline is the hardest to regrow and I am seeing regrowth... shouldn't that mean that I would surely be seeing regrowth elsewhere? I surely shouldn't be losing ground elsewhere!

It does seem odd that you are gaining temple regrowth but starting diffuse loss, but one thing I have learned is there is no set method of recovery when it comes to treating hair loss. For some, recovery will start as soon as a couple of months into treatment, others will take longer then a year. They you have those that will lose a shit ton of hair before they recover. Just many ways meds can work for us. We just have to give it at least a year and a half then see where we are at and whether it is working.

I have a similar thing happening. 8months in.

Everyone reacts differently we just all have to hope we end up at the same 'finish'

my temples regrew after like 3 months on fin/min/keto and I didnt even notice it for a while. then they fell out, then grew back, fell out, now are growing back, etc.

my hairline has been slowly thinning it seems for the last few months, but it seems that there are some very thin pigmented hairs all along it, but I'm not so sure if it's regrowth or dying follicles coming back thinner since they fell out.

I've been shedding a LOT over the last few months but my hair isn't really noticeably worse or below baseline from what I can see, but it's definitely coming from all along the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post

my temples regrew after like 3 months on fin/min/keto and I didnt even notice it for a while. then they fell out, then grew back, fell out, now are growing back, etc.

my hairline has been slowly thinning it seems for the last few months, but it seems that there are some very thin pigmented hairs all along it, but I'm not so sure if it's regrowth or dying follicles coming back thinner since they fell out.

I've been shedding a LOT over the last few months but my hair isn't really noticeably worse or below baseline from what I can see, but it's definitely coming from all along the top of my head.
    This is some weird crap. At the six month mark things were looking great. Hair was thickening up and crown was filling in. Since then things have pretty much gone down hill. I am still above base line, but not as good as I was just a few months ago. I just have to fight through the frustration and keep my eyes on the finish line like you said. Hopefully it will be a good place for all of us.

You just have to ride it out with finasteride, imo. Especially if you've already committed a year of your time. If you get off of it you're going to lose it anyways so you might as well give it a shot.

It took me over a year of taking it daily (used to take it eod) before I really started to visibly notice more density and generally healthier looking hair. Stick to your regimen of finasterinde, keto shampoo, quality daily shampoo/conditioner, and maybe a hair, skin, and nails supplement if you like. One (kind of obvious) tip I have is that if you any conditions with your scalp (dry scalp, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.) you need to get that taken care of asap. Getting that treated made a huge difference in my situation.

Good advice, guys. Thanks! I'm really hoping things start to swing around for me pretty soon here. My brother, who had far less hair than I (at a younger age as well) when he started fin has been using it for years and it is working really well for him. When he started fin around 4 years ago he was headed towards NW3. He is now somewhere between NW2 and 3 and has more density.

I wasn't even a NW2 when I started, and I had fairly thick hair. Now, I can see my hairline showing signs of improvement but the rest of my scalp is showing thin spots

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Sounds like just another atypical response to Finasteride therapy. Seems to me there is no real typical responses. every patients responds differently without any rhyme or rhythm.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks for your replies.

Dr Charles, do you think my situation is just a temporary effect of fin, or is it likely that I am just hooped? It seems odd that it could have happened so fast.. within the period of a few months. If fin is supposed to slow down hair loss, this seems to suggest that, without fin, all this would have happened in like a matter of weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgerard View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

Dr Charles, do you think my situation is just a temporary effect of fin, or is it likely that I am just hooped? It seems odd that it could have happened so fast.. within the period of a few months. If fin is supposed to slow down hair loss, this seems to suggest that, without fin, all this would have happened in like a matter of weeks!
    Fin usually causes a shed cycle, that in some sense could suggest that it temporary will show accelerated hair loss. The lost follicles, suggest of course, that fall out in this period have already been affected to some degree and would have fallen out between 5 minutes from that point or maybe 5 years - who really knows. But, it is safe to assume they would be leaving your head soon anyway. The thing on meds that we all hope and pray for is that instead of coming back weaker, as in no treatment - they come back stronger and thicker. Or, at the very least the same.

It's literally impossible to judge what your loss would be like without meds if you had started, or with meds if you didn't start them; so you just do whatever you need to do to make yourself sleep at night and trust that these medications have been tested and work to some degree and haven't ever been clinically shown to make things worse.