+ Reply to Thread

Default buzzing scalp despite visible scarring

Hello to everyone,
    This is my first time posting in many years, so it is a pleasure to back on and see so much support from everyone. In advance, please forgive the length of this post.

I'm writing for some feedback please. Almost 15 years ago, I had three transplants done which went very well. ABout five years ago, I noticed there was more thinning in the crown. I made a trip to Vancouver for a consultation with Dr. Wong, of Hasson and Wong. He examined my scalp and said that there was no need for another transplant at that time, as I could "get away with it." Although the surgeon of 15 years ago left some donor areas in case I needed another transplant in the years ahead, Dr. Wong indicated there was not a lot of donor hair left.

I have been concerned lately, as the thinning in the crown has accelerated and it looks really bad relative to the rest of the scalp (which is also thinning). It may have been contributed by a very stressful job situation over the last half year (which I've now left).

I'm at the point where I'm ready just to buzz my scalp. However, there is a good deal of scarring from the transplants of 15 years ago. I actually used to buzz my scalp in the past, despite the fact that the scars are very visible and extend the width of my scalp from ear to ear.

I thought about scar creams, but from what I read, they don't seem to do much. At this point, I'm inclined to buzz even if the scars look ugly, as the alternative, thinning, stringy, clumpy wisps of hair in the crown looks even uglier, in my opinion.

My regimen: Have been taking 1/4 tablet of Proscar daily and Minoxidil 5% twice daily. shampoo regimen is daily with Nioxin and twice a week with Nizoral

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to anyone who replies. Wishing everyone well.

Hasson and Wong is a very reputable clinic, but you should talk to a few more doctors to gather more opinions. Take some good quality pictures (especially your donor), and try to establish a virtual consultation through e-mail with a few more doctors before you make your final decision. Good luck.

Default Thank you

Hi Coligion,
    Great advice. Thank you for taking the time to write with your feedback. I much appreciated it. Wishing you well.
    Lorne

Question

Do you have pictures that you can post on the site? I think this is a issue with many around here.

Default Thanks Delphi

Hi Delphi,
    Thanks for your message, and for the suggestion to take pictures of the scarring and post online. Great idea. I was planning to have some pictures taken, (which means buzzing the scalp), so I hope to do that within the next few days. Again, thanks. I appreciate people like yourself taking the time and showing the interest to help out.
    best,
    Lorne

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Tough situation- and while it is difficult to assess your donor density through photos, that can only be helpful for obtained a few other opinions.
    You didn't mention if you were taking finasteride/minoxidil- both of which can help slow down progression of hair loss in the crown region.

Dr. E
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration