+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 4000 Grafts, FUT or FUE

Just wondering if anybody could advise me on which of the techniques to go for if I need 4,000 grafts?

Fue.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Fue.
    Why FUE and not FUT if you don't mind me asking?

Why? This:

Also, the fact that FUT is providing 0 benefit compared to FUE, besides the reduced cost and operating time.

Some will talk about greater yield with FUT, but it really depends on the skill of the surgeon. Successful FUE megasessions are common now.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Why? This:

Also, the fact that FUT is providing 0 benefit compared to FUE, besides the reduced cost and operating time.

Some will talk about greater yield with FUT, but it really depends on the skill of the surgeon. Successful FUE megasessions are common now.
    But wouldn't FUE not be for smaller procedures such as say 1000 - 2,000 as opposed to bigger procedures where FUT can come in handy? Also the linear scar is not an issue because I never shave my head. And anyways with FUE you still get scaring, just in a different way.

Nope, I thought that before and it made me really sad. But it was nonsense written online by people who had no idea about what they were talking about, things like: "FUE is suitable for only 2% of hair loss sufferers who have minor loss". FALSE!

FUE for more than 3000 grafts is common nowadays. NW6 have been turned into NW2-ish with FUE only more than once.

Different scarring? You're right, but I'll take this kind of "scarring" to the FUT scar any day:

There are more good FUE surgeons out there including the ones in Europe. Note that I did not say "plenty" of them. There are several more choices today then there were even three years ago and back.

The real issue is how short you want to wear your hair and also the competence of the surgeon as Dav7 stated. There is bad FUHT and bad FUE. And BTW, that has to be one of the worst strip scars to show as an example but I guess he was making his point of view. Obviously not all strip scars look like that. Regardless, this scar result would be extremely difficult and complex to repair.

If you ever think that you want to or "will" want to wear a short hair style, then FUE is your choice hands down.

If you choose a skilled FUE surgeon, yield will not be an issue...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I would go FUE.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
    I would go FUE.
    We did an over 4,000 graft procedure just a few days ago. Some patients are more challenging, so when you get into those numbers, it's best to plan on 2 surgery days. A top surgeon is critical whether you chose strip or FUE. Natural placement and minimal scarring is not a given with either procedure. In other words, hair restoration by technique is not like a product you buy off the shelf where the box label accurately describes the contents.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Is it not the case that FUT can provide considerably more grafts over the long run, especially when combined with FUE? I am always confused when guys with severe hair loss do not account for this, especially when they're young and may need the absolute maximum number of grafts as their loss progresses. Also, when did the hysteria over the strip scar begin? If you go to a good surgeon you're not going to end up with a terrible scar. Also, why get a HT if the ultimate goal is to shave your head?