+ Reply to Thread

Default The days after HT - some questions

I will soon be going for my secont HT. (actually a HST at HASCI)
    I just have some questions for you veterans regarding the days after the surgery. Would be very greatful for some helpful replies.

* Drinking alcohol the days after the treatment is said to be okay according to the clinic.
    Does anyone else see any specific harm to the grafts that could occur by drinking during the days after the treatment?

* This treatment will focus on my crown area. Since I always sleep on my back I think I may have a problem here because I know the newly transplanted grafts aren't supposed to be touching the pillow when you sleep as it may harm them. How important is this? I don't know if I will be able to sleep on my stomach. Any suggestions?

* In order to be able to walk around a little bit in public I would need to use some kind of loosely fitted baseball cap or bandana on my head.
    I understand that it's important that it is loose so it doesn't harm the grafts. But just HOW sensitive are the grafts actually for these kind of things during the 2-5 days after the treatment?

* Hasci recommends that you apply minoxidil on the grafts for a couple of weeks, starting about two days after the surgery.
    Does anyone have an idea of how helpful this really is for the grafts?
    I am just thinking about the fact that the first reaction to minoxidil is the negative reaction of shedding, and that the positive effects usually don't appear until you have been using it for a long time?

Thank you guys!

Nobody? :/

Quote Originally Posted by censur View Post
    I will soon be going for my secont HT. (actually a HST at HASCI)
    I just have some questions for you veterans regarding the days after the surgery. Would be very greatful for some helpful replies.

* Drinking alcohol the days after the treatment is said to be okay according to the clinic.
    Does anyone else see any specific harm to the grafts that could occur by drinking during the days after the treatment?

* This treatment will focus on my crown area. Since I always sleep on my back I think I may have a problem here because I know the newly transplanted grafts aren't supposed to be touching the pillow when you sleep as it may harm them. How important is this? I don't know if I will be able to sleep on my stomach. Any suggestions?

* In order to be able to walk around a little bit in public I would need to use some kind of loosely fitted baseball cap or bandana on my head.
    I understand that it's important that it is loose so it doesn't harm the grafts. But just HOW sensitive are the grafts actually for these kind of things during the 2-5 days after the treatment?

* Hasci recommends that you apply minoxidil on the grafts for a couple of weeks, starting about two days after the surgery.
    Does anyone have an idea of how helpful this really is for the grafts?
    I am just thinking about the fact that the first reaction to minoxidil is the negative reaction of shedding, and that the positive effects usually don't appear until you have been using it for a long time?

Thank you guys!
    Censur, Im no expert by any means but ill give you my opinion as we are all here for help and advice, im 2 days out of my first fue, with grafts in the frontal third and temples and a few placed in the crown,

I asked about drinking and smoking with my Doctor on the first day of the procedure, he said as long as its not excessive ill be ok to do both after four days how ever I don't really drink at home only when im out with the boys and to be honest looking like this I will not be out for a few weeks any way and I usually only smoke when I drink.

sleeping your re suppose to be at a 45 degree angle and use a neck pillow for the first few days to avoid the grafts touching the pillow this is what iv been doing and it can be a fraction uncomfortable and I wake up early and struggle to get back off but iv been told only for four or five days and iv lready done two, I just use three normal pillows and then the neck pillow.

Im staying in the house for at least six days so I don't wear a hat I believe you will be ok for short periods with a very loose hat on I believe bandannas are best but as I say im not going out the house for abit unless its at night and no one will see me its rather quiet here I live.

I don't know about Minox as Iv never used it and don't ever intend to,

The best thing to do how ever is to make a list of all these questions and any others you may want answering and either email them to your doc/ring him or ask him the day of the procedure.

As I say im no expert and im just going on all the stuff my own doc said ad basically learning as I go so far so good.

I've been told not to drink alcohol for a week post-op. I also plan on not leaving the house for 7 days after the operation, so I won't be going out and wearing a hat until day 8 (for short periods of time).

Many docs feel that moderate alcohol consumption is not an issue post-op because the clotting of blood is a big part of what holds the grafts in place. The clotting generally takes place in the first 24-36 hour period following surgery.

Whether you use a bandana or loosely fitted ball cap, you just want to be sure that either one does not rub on the grafts or put undue pressure on them.

If you had FUE, you are in better situation then if you had sutures from FUHT.

Now as far as minoxidil on the grafts post-op, I continue to read and hear this being recommended almost immediately after surgery. I strongly disagree with this because the recipient incisions go deep below the epidermis and complete healing of those wounds has not occurred.

Many docs will want their patients to wait at least 10-14 days post-op on average for this reason. As you may already have read or been informed, the idea behind this practice is to "jump start" the grafts. IMHO, that is not necessary but rather just allow time and your body to heal on it's own. The grafts will shed on their own time and so will the regrowth. Am not an advocate of using other supplements like MSM, but they are all elective choices so each to their own.

I guess everyone has a different approach but if the patient has waited this long to even have the procedure, why not be patient and allow your body to work wonders.

I used minoxidil within the recipient area on one of my four procedures, and it induced shock loss right away and also to the neighboring hair behind the grafts. I had to then use Dermatch to cover the bald spots for six months and did not like that.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin