+ Reply to Thread

Well from what I can see, you do have a little recession. Whether it's bad or not is really based on your opinion and views of hair loss, and it's ultimately your decision if you choose to fight it or just let it take it's course. If you should choose to fight it, there are numerous threads on here with information about products and regimens used to do so. Hope this helps.

Recession starting in your teens could mean a very aggressive road of MPB, from first hand experience.

Treated now, don't let it get out of hand. Get a hair loss doctor's opinion and if he says to get on finasteride and minoxidil, do it. Once you let MPB kick in full swing, it's an uphill battle, and eventually you'd want an HT. So if you start when it's not as bad, when people are telling you not to worry about it, that's your cue to start medication.

You have great hair now, so it easy to take it for granted and "wait it out", but once you wait it out to "see if it's really MPB/how bad is it", it's game over.

I don't mean to scare you or anyone with my advice, I just give advice I would give my 16 year old self if I could go back in time, when my hairline started receding but people told me not to worry about it, and I listened. Fast forward 2014, I need a 3500-4000 graft HT to get back to cosmetically acceptable hair.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    You have great hair now, so it easy to take it for granted and "wait it out", but once you wait it out to "see if it's really MPB/how bad is it", it's game over.
    Yup. Unfortunately many guys wait until their hair actually looks bad/recessed before they start any kind of effective treatment.

Thumbs up You're a norwood 1 with a miniaturization consistent with a norwood 2

The above comments are worst case scenario cases. To me you don't look any worse than a norwood 1 with some miniaturization. Although if you want to keep it where it is start taking low amounts of finasteride daily. Everyone told me I was a norwood 1 but I noticed miniaturization and decided propecia was my option.
    Last edited by Almost935; 12-09-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Editing

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla90 View Post
    Wondering if this is bad for an 18 year old?
    IMO, it's toward potential "bad" it there's a lot of androgenic alopecia in your family. My brother in law receded pretty bad in his twenties but the recession just stopped and stayed that way up until old age. He never thinned or went bald in the back. The future of an 18 year old's hair is impossible to predict from photos. Working at Dr. Cole's office I have met a couple of men who definitely had MPB at an early age but knew of absolutely zero men on his mother or father's side with hair loss. It sometimes comes after you from generations back. On the other hand I met one man in his forties with only mild to moderate hair loss. His brother is very bald as well as his father and mother's father. For him finasteride, Nizoral shampoo, Rogaine foam and a couple of small FUE sessions improved his hair to somewhere between a Norwood 2 and 3.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck