+ Reply to Thread

Default Why have I lost ground since switching from Rogaine foam to solution?

A couple of weeks ago, I began to use Rogaine solution rather than Rogaine foam as I felt that the solution was more effective at penetrating the scalp due to the presence of propylene glycol.

However, since making the switch, my previously stable hairline has begun to recede, although I'm not shedding more than usual.

Does anyone know why this might be? The instructions that accompany the solution say that results can be expected after 2 months. However, I have been using the foam for a sustained period of time and I expected the solution to continue the work that the foam had started.

If my hair needs to adjust to the solution then I'll continue to use it as I do believe that it penetrates the scalp more effectively. However, I am tempted to return to using the foam ASAP.

Whenever changes are made to a regimen, even something minor like going from name brand to generic, can cause a shed. It is just hard to determine if the shed is actually a precursor to improvement, or if you are losing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Whenever changes are made to a regimen, even something minor like going from name brand to generic, can cause a shed. It is just hard to determine if the shed is actually a precursor to improvement, or if you are losing ground.
    Regardless of what is causing it, I'd like it to stop. One way I might achieve this is by continuing to use some foam, but only in the mornings. A lot of people seem to do this, using foam in the AM and liquid in the PM.

What I'd like to know is whether they shower in between. Whilst you are likely to shed a little by showering for a second time, the pores in your scalp should open and allow the liquid to penetrate more easily. Also, if you don't shower, remnants of the foam will remain on your scalp from the AM. Is it advisable to apply liquid on top of this?

I'd love to hear from anyone that follows this AM/ PM regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    What concerns me is that I'm not experiencing a shed; I'm beginning to slowly recede again.

Do you have any evidence that the solution is a better vehicle than the foam? What gave you the idea to use the solution at night? I have heard of people doing this too but why? Is it just groupthink or is there some science behind this? Personally I use the foam twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Do you have any evidence that the solution is a better vehicle than the foam? What gave you the idea to use the solution at night? I have heard of people doing this too but why? Is it just groupthink or is there some science behind this? Personally I use the foam twice a day.
    I used solution before I used the foam and I seemed to regrow more hair using the solution.