+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Default Possible Treatments

A 2012 MPB study determined the most common cause of hair loss in men—results from elevated amounts of a lipid called prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). The researchers also identified a receptor molecule—a protein called GPR44—that binds with PGD2 on the surface of cells in the hair follicle. Such binding is needed to produce the condition of limited hair growth that is symptomatic of AGA.

PGD2 is among other things a potent inhibitor of platelet aggregation.

PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatment on the other hand, (to varying degrees) increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturized hair.

Consider what Rogaine does. Although minimally effective, it dilates blood vessels and increases blood flow. Other than that, researchers don't know why it is slightly effective in improving hair growth. A negative related to healthy hair growth cited in a study written by Dr. Sharon Keene is cigarette smoking. As you know smoking constricts blood vessels.

Perhaps hair miniaturizes in MPB because the concentration of Prostaglandin D2 (in green) starves the follicle of necessary blood platelet growth factors.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-miniaturized-text.jpg

Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	25552  

Link source?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Link source?
    niams.nih.gov

Chuck

Man is preparing to inhabit Mars and yet we are unsure about what really causes baldness as evident from this statement, "Perhaps hair miniaturizes in MPB because the concentration of Prostaglandin D2 (in green) starves the follicle of necessary blood platelet growth factors." We need to get smarter people in medical research.

This sounds like it would fit with current theories. So where does DHT come into it? Does DHT cause an increase in PGD2, or just make the receptors more sensitive to it?

Sounds like a good hypothesis to me now someone needs to test it and see if its true. Time is of the essence because unfortunately we only live so long

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Sounds like a good hypothesis to me now someone needs to test it and see if its true. Time is of the essence because unfortunately we only live so long
    So how do you suggest we proceed, with a pgd2 inhibitor?
    We have taken that train already with no luck in the past.

I will share something here that may be useful or may not, but it seems to relate a bit. At the start of the year I bough three months of neogenic and I noticed a dramatic increase in hair gain, I am not %100 sure it was because it but that was the only thing I had added new. Anyways, I bring this up because someone in another forum was saying similar things about the neogenic product and the pgd2, I think it was squeegee.

I ended up not using it anymore because I thought it wasn't working and it was hella expensive, but looking back I don't see what else could have given me this regrowth. One very important thing for me to say is that I don't have MPB, mine is more like DUPA, so I would be interested if others with DUPA tried.

Am I missing something? Did this not make it big in 2012 then die down quickly? Cotsarelis was claiming something would be on the market in two years with regards to this. lol

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    Am I missing something? Did this not make it big in 2012 then die down quickly? Cotsarelis was claiming something would be on the market in two years with regards to this. lol
    Cotsarelis is an attentionwhore. I wouldn't be surprised if he made another '2-5' claim at the Hair Congress next month. This guy has been all talk and ZERO results for the past 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Cotsarelis is an attentionwhore. I wouldn't be surprised if he made another '2-5' claim at the Hair Congress next month. This guy has been all talk and ZERO results for the past 10+ years.
    Definitely man. The dude sits there with a full head of hair getting us baldies hopes up. 2012 it was the pdg2. Last year it was wounding and Fgf9. I will believe that guy when he has products and results to go with them.