+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair Transplant Minimum Age

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about what would be the ideal age to get a hair transplant?
    What factors do docs considered?

Some will throw random numbers like 25, 30, 45. The truth is that every case us different and there is no minimum age. A 25 years old who is a stabilized NW5 is a better candidate than a 45 years old who just started to lose his hair and is NW2,5.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Some will throw random numbers like 25, 30, 45. The truth is that every case us different and there is no minimum age. A 25 years old who is a stabilized NW5 is a better candidate than a 45 years old who just started to lose his hair and is NW2,5.
    This is very much untrue. A 25 year old NW 5 is likely to progress much, much further in their hair loss than a 45 year old who has just begun to lose their hair. Even if he is "stabilized" for the time being on meds, he should not assume that he will be able to take the meds forever, or that the meds will continue to work forever.

The real answer is that one should not undergo surgery until their final pattern is somewhat predictable and this is virtually impossible for most very young patients.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been thinking about what would be the ideal age to get a hair transplant?
    What factors do docs considered?
    To answer your specific question, docs will look at genetics, your current hair loss, the miniaturization of your native hair, and whether or not you are taking meds to prevent future loss. Generally speaking, men with very advanced balding patterns are not good candidates for surgery unless they have exceedingly thick donor hair (and even that can thin out as you age). If you are in your early 20's and have really extensive hair loss in your family, then no scrupulous doctor would operate on you. If, on the other hand, all the men in your family have minor to moderate recession, you have only minor recession, and you show no miniaturization throughout your native hair, you might be a decent candidate. However, I have had many reputable doctors tell me that it's just too difficult to predict a final pattern on men under 30 in the vast majority of cases.

Like Artista has often said: it depends if the patient has realistic expectations.

So, what you say is that hair transplants are never for young bald people right? NW4+ at 25 years old should just be doomed to misery or a wig. While a 55 years old NW4+ is a good candidate and should have the privilege to have his hair back, so he can enjoy his 60's with a fullish head of hair.

It seems like OP wanted an ideal age to have a hair transplant. If we take advice from the righteous hair loss gurus here: 50.

Like Artista has often said: it depends if the patient has realistic expectations.

So, what you say is that hair transplants are never for young bald people right? NW4+ at 25 years old should just be doomed to misery or a wig. While a 55 years old NW4+ is a good candidate and should have the privilege to have his hair back, so he can enjoy his 60's with a fullish head of hair.

It seems like OP wanted an ideal age to have a hair transplant. If we take advice from the righteous hair loss gurus here: 50.
    It's not about what's fair or not fair, it's about ensuring that a young guy never ends up being a 35 year old NW 7 with a low odd-looking hairline, visible scars, and unnaturally low density. With rare exceptions a NW 6 or 7 with normal donor density is going to look strange and unnatural getting anything but the most conservative hair transplant, one that will not be in line with the wishes of a 25-year-old. And contrary to what you're telling this guy, it's a lot easier to predict on someone in their 30's or 40's than it is someone in their 20's. in general, men who show an advanced pattern in their early or mid 20's are going to end up being very bald given current treatment options.

So, there is bald, and very bald?

You would think it would look unnatural, the question is, to whom?

Look at this famous French singer who had a few HT's and is now a NW7 below his grafts:

Unnatural to us in the hair loss world. Yet if you ask 100 random people what is wrong with him, they couldn't point it out.

As I've said many times before, some hair is always better than no hair. This guy would look 10x more ugly without his (failed) HT's.

So, there is bald, and very bald?

You would think it would look unnatural, the question is, to whom?

Look at this famous French singer who had a few HT's and is now a NW7 below his grafts:

Unnatural to us in the hair loss world. Yet if you ask 100 random people what is wrong with him, they couldn't point it out.

As I've said many times before, some hair is always better than no hair. This guy would look 10x more ugly without his (failed) HT's.
    Sorry, but I disagree. The guy has an island of hair sitting on top of a very bald head. It looks ridiculous and I dont think you have to be on a hair loss forum to spot that from a mile away. This example is precisely why young guys should be cautious in diving in to a HT.

He looks bad I agree. But he still looks better than with no work done.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Working at Dr. Cole's office, I know some of the concerns he has regarding young patients. One is the possibility the young man will eventually progress to a Norwood 7. Also with the younger guy, it's more difficult to evaluate and predict the final hair loss pattern.

If I were 23 with hair loss and deadset on transplants, I would have medium sized FUE sessions once per year utilizing a .85 punch. I would have ACell and PRP administered during surgery and insist that no multiple-hair follicular units be placed anywhere. I would go very conservative with regards to hairline height and build a bit of recession into the first pass. I would only use single hair grafts. This along with correct placement, angle etc. gives the transplant longevity. As hair continues to thin, a natural appearance is maintained.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:32 PM.