+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need some closure on whether or not im going to lose my hair, 19/yo

I've asked the internet, and the internet gives me mixed messages

Legit, the uncertainty of it stresses me out more than anything in my life previously. If anything i'll go bald from stress

Is there some sort of reliable test, to see if you have MPB, i'll do anything, blood test, DNA examination, get some dude to stare at my hair for 40 minutes. Whatever you got to get me a straight answer. Will I lose my hair prematurely?

Heres some of my posts on other forums- which include my genetic hairloss history as well as some pictures of than hairline

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...&enterthread=y

http://www.*****************/interact...t-do-you-think

Lets hope I get some more luck here. It's easy to see how much this strains me. Put me out of my misery, give me something solid!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi there Somewhat'
    First of all, you are at the RIGHT forum for this type of conversation.
    The Bald Truth Live and its counterpart, Bald Truth Talk Forum has proven to be the best community to be a member of.

You already know that there are never any guarantees in life.
    Your head of hair looks GREAT young man and it could very well MATURE as you get older and thats IT.
    It could also go down the path of minor to major hair loss.
    Somewhat' you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that~
    "i'll go bald from stress"

That is VERY true so learn from that fact kid.
    If you do see true signs of hair loss there are treatments available NOW as you must know. (Members will talk with you about that)

I remember when I was 19 years old. Like all kids, I too would keep an eye on my hairline because my father had significant hair loss as well as my uncles.
    My 2 brothers and I talked about the possibilities of anyone of us losing our hair at some point.
    We are in our mid to late 50s now.
    My oldest brother is a NW 6,
    my second oldest brother KEPT ALL OF HIS HAIR(its looks great)
    and I am at a NW 5+

The thing that you must keep in mind..do NOT PANIC if you 'notice' anything different in your hairline.
    Firstly, it could be an over-evaluation due to emotional concerns.
    In other words you could be seeing something with your hairline that NO ONE else is seeing.
    You will eventually experience maturing of your hair which is NOT a bad thing.
    Also keep in mind, your 19...you WILL have MUCH BETTER hair treatments (maybe a cure?) available to you in your lifetime.
    (this is NOT the 20th century)
    There are many companys/clinics WORKING on that as we speak.
    So dont FOCUS on hair loss to the point that you STRESS out because then you WILL experience some type of hair loss..
    I can ATTEST to that my young friend!!
    I had experienced moderate hair loss throughout my life but it was never so bad that I altered my life because of it.
    When I went through a 'Perfect Storm' later on in my life, my hair reacted almost immediately!!

Your among friends here Somewhat' ~~STAY STRONG!!

Your temples are receding, which is an indicator for MPB. MPB usually starts at the temples.

I'd get on fin if you want to halt the loss, there is a possibility for side effects, but the incidence is pretty low.

Nice advice DifferentLine but BETTER YET, Somewhat' would need to discuss that possibility with his GP especially since he is only 19 years old.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentLine View Post
    Your temples are receding, which is an indicator for MPB. MPB usually starts at the temples.

I'd get on fin if you want to halt the loss, there is a possibility for side effects, but the incidence is pretty low.
    I agree. When there is this much stress related to the possibility of hair loss, you should come out with the oral and topical guns blazing. Use everything that is proven and safe to promote healthy hair and block DHT. Please find a doctor who offers HairCheck. HairCheck compares the hair mass index of critical areas of scalp hair growth. We are in Atlanta and offer it at N/C. Getting on top of this right away should give you some peace of mind. Your hair looks decent in the photos BTW.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I do like the sound of that hair check thing. Is it by any chance available in Australia?

Oh and thanks for the support, I'll try to relax about it, but doing so ain't easy

And artista, if I might ask, your brothers and you.
    1. We're you all born with similar hair, in colour, in pattern etc
    2. Did the two brothers that went bald hair resemble the bald relatives hair (father)
    3. Did the brother who kept his hair, have a less indented hairline even at that age.

Get bloodtests then get on fin.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentLine View Post
    When I was 14, I became concerned about minor recession. The recession only went back a little and then my hair thinned. Thinning does not consistently respect low hairlines or degrees of recession.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thinnibng.jpg

Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	25521  

Thumbs up

Hi Somewhat worried,
    First of all, I hope all the advices given to you from all of us thus far are seeming to be helpful for you.
    I really do hate to know that young men, especially, are being emotionally devastated by hair loss or even because of the possibility of hair loss.
    In regards to my hair loss- I so wish I were at YOUR AGE of 19 during these times of scientific advancements and ongoing endeavors.
    Because of the breakthroughs in Whole Genome / DNA Sequencing and a completed 'mapping out' process (which actually had begun to be researched in the 1980s), medical science had acquired the investigative TOOLS needed for many things. Hair loss being just one.
    Prior to that nothing could really be done to halt hair loss let alone discover any treatments or possible cures.
    Somewhat' I am quite confident that you will experience greater treatments at some point down the road.
    I hope us middle-aged/older guys may also experience the same.
    To answer your questions;

1. We're you all born with similar hair, in colour, in pattern etc

I am the youngest. my older brothers hair colors are both about the same color,dark brown.Mine being a lighter brown. Patterns between my oldest and me were about the same. My middle bro's hairline was a bit stronger.
    That is why when we were kids and had discussed hair loss, that we all agreed
    that the middle bro would retain his hair.
    2. Did the two brothers that went bald hair resemble the bald relatives hair (father)
    My oldest and me,,yes out hairlines/our loss do resemble dad's(RIP) and some relatives...of course.
    3. Did the brother who kept his hair, have a less indented hairline even at that age.
    My middle bro who has kept his full head of hair,,there is a maturing of his hairline but not by much. It doesnt seem that he has any thinning of his crown either,,Im sure there is but very MINOR-- Lucky him. LOL.

Take comfort in the fact that you are educating yourself early on. That is what I failed to do and definitely paid the price. You found this forum and that alone is huge in your fight against hair loss. Future treatments are really an unknown as far as time frame and effectiveness. Currently available treatments are not perfect, but they do work well if taken early in the hair loss process.